Current Resident Verification
Current U of S Residents often require a verification of training for their bank, insurance, etc. You can request a postgraduate verification of training by contacting the PGME office.
Please keep in mind, residents needing only Employment/Salary verification should use the PAWS Employment Verification Letter via the Pay and Time Reporting channel. Also, for confirmation of enrolment for federal and provincial student loans, please contact Student Central.
Incoming R1 Residents: PGME cannot issue verification letters without a signed letter of appointment. Once the letter of appointment is received, a letter may be issued to the resident.
Clinical Fellow Verification Requests: verifications of training are the responsibility of the Department. Verifications must document the unaccredited nature of the program.
Past Resident Verification
Physicians normally need a verification of training when applying for a new job. You can request a postgraduate verification of training by contacting the PGME office and paying the associated fees.
For the protection of our past residents and to ensure the integrity of personal information of all residents, verifications of training will not be sent directly to individuals.
The official process for verification requests is that the agency requiring verification of residency training sends the College of Medicine formal documentation requesting verification including specific information required, an authorization from the applicant to release information, and a cheque or money order for the processing of this request. The College of Medicine will then complete the documentation and return it directly to the agency.
- In Canada, residency training programs are accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) and the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) which is the equivalent of the United States’ ACGME.
- The Federation of Medical Licensing Authorities of Canada (now FMRAC) was the official accrediting agency for Rotating Internships. Rotating Internships are no longer offered in Canada; since 1994 trainees must complete an approved RCPSC or CFPC training program.
- Fees for providing this service must be received at the PGME office prior to providing a verification.
- Verifications are completed by the PGME office and signed by the Associate Dean, PGME.
- The minimum turn-around time is three weeks from the date the fee is received. Due to high volume, we are unable to accommodate urgent requests.
- For verifications of undergraduate medical school training, contact the UGME office.
Please provide the following forms with your submission:
- Completed Postgraduate Medical Education Verification Fee Payment Form
- Verification form
- Authorization to release information form
- Payment - Accepted form of payment is credit card (Visa or MasterCard only).
|Fees for verifications|
|Verification of Postgraduate Medical Training (Resident/Internship) including document retrieval costs and file review||$75.00|
|Courier documents within Canada||$15.00|
|Courier documents to U.S.||$25.00|
|Courier documents to international||$35.00|
|Fax documents within Canada & U.S. (per page)||$2.00|
|Notarization of Document(s) (each)||$10.00|
Submissions can be sent in one of the following ways:
Due to COVID19 regulations the PGME office is currently closed. At this time we are only accepting verification requests by email.
Email (Do not email credit card information; please phone the PGME office)
Attention: Kailey Friesen – email@example.com