To establish the procedure for the appointment of a Program Director of a postgraduate medical education residency training program at the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan (Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada or College of Family Physicians of Canada programs).
This document applies to all postgraduate medical education departments and residency training programs at the College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan.
The appointment of a Program Director will be the joint responsibility of the Provincial/Department Head, Associate Dean, PGME (Postgraduate Medical Education) and PGME Office in a collegial and collaborative manner.
The following procedures apply to the selection and appointment of a residency training Program Director:
- The Provincial/Department Head and Associate Dean, PGME will discuss the need and rationale when a change in Program Director is being considered.
- The Associate Dean, PGME will advise the Coordinator, Academic and Non-Academic policies, and procedures of the pending appointment. The coordinator will begin the appointment process.
- The process for selection of a Residency Program Director will be determined at the program level. All Departments must have a selection process in place to follow. The selection process will be void of discrimination, coercion, and favoritism. The Associate Dean, PGME is not a part of the selection process.
- Whenever possible, programs should consider succession planning carefully, and select a new Program Director early enough to allow some overlap and mentoring with the outgoing Program Director.
- The usual term of a Residency Program Director is 3-5 years (renewable once, or in exceptional circumstances, more than once).
- Terms of appointment and renewal are managed by the PGME office and are conducted in the same manner as an initial appointment using an appointment renewal form.
After the Department selection process is complete and a candidate is chosen, the Department will provide to the PGME office, the following information in a timely manner:
- Completed PGME new Program Director appointment form
- Department Head letter of recommendation
- Incumbent curriculum vitae
The PGME office will be responsible for the following:
- Providing the Provincial/Department Head with the PGME new Program Director appointment form, RCPSC New PD e-Handbook and PD interview questions
- Confirming the incumbent’s credentials
- Obtaining approval and formal appointment from the Dean, College of Medicine
- Providing the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) or the College of Family Physicians of Canada (CFPC) with the name and contact information of the newly appointed Program Director within two weeks of the appointment.
- Notifying all College of Medicine Provincial/Department Heads, program specific residents, PGME Committee members and PGME staff of the new Program Director. PGME will provide administrative access for the new Program Director in the CanAMS instrument, CaRMS, and Elentra once the staff announcement is distributed.
- Notifying the new Program Director of the approved appointment
- The creation and implementation of a contract for services agreement with the College of Medicine (if applicable)
The final appointment will be approved by the Associate Dean, PGME.
- Royal College Specialty Program Director Appointment Policy (applicable to RCPSC programs only)
- Royal College Program Director Handbook (applicable to RCPSC programs only)
- CanRAC Accreditation Standards
- Referenced with permission from the Schulich School of Medicine