- The University of Saskatchewan requires that all students attending a Health Science College provide documented proof of immunization
- Completion of immunizations is required for Clinical Placements. Students who do not complete recommended immunization(s) must sign a waiver and may be excluded from some clinical areas and out of province electives during clerkship. Please see the Clinical Placement Agreement – Schedule E for more details.
- Completion of the immunization requirements is the responsibility of the student as well as any associated costs. Most immunizations are covered by your Provincial Health card, with the exception of the Two Step Tuberculin skin test, which will cost $80 payable by exact cash or debit at your first visit
- CONSENT: Immunization records and/or serology results will be shared with your College and clinical placements throughout your studies as required – this is to ensure your safety and the safety of your clients.You are required to sign a consent form to authorize sharing of this information
Immunization instructions for students entering year 1
- Review the Specific Immunization Requirements (see below). The requirements align with the requirements you will have when you participate in clinical electives through the AFMC Student Portal.
- Locate your childhood and adult immunization records. If you do not have these records, contact your Public Health Unit or Family Doctor.
- Set up an appointment with Student Wellness — Locate your childhood and adult immunization records. If you do not have these records, contact your Public Health Unit or Family Doctor. Students are required to and submit immunization records and signed consent form to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to their first appointment.
You may choose to see your Family Physician to begin and/or complete your immunization review, but you are still required to have an appointment with Student Health Services to ensure all requirements have been met
- You will have your Two Step Tuberculin skin test (TST) at your first visit at Student Health. The TST is completed over 4 visits.
- Sign the consent that is attached and bring it with you to your first appointment
- Failure to complete your Immunizations (certain exceptions apply) before the first day of Orientation will mean you will not be able to participate in any hospital or clinic experiences.
For appointments or immunization review inquiries: Call (306)966-5768. You must book two appointments, 48-72 hours apart to do the tuberculin skin test. As well, the two step tuberculin skin test must be done 1-3 weeks following.
Specific immunization requirements
- Primary series of 3-5 doses, then a booster every 10 years
- Primary series and Tdap or Tdap – Pertussis booster given at 18 years or older.
- Primary series, booster if travelling in endemic areas
Measles, mumps, rubella
- Documented proof of vaccination with 2 doses of measles, mumps and rubella
Tuberculin skin test (TST)
- Two step TST (to be done at Student Health), followed by annual one step TST
- If there is a history of a positive Tuberculin, a CXR is required
- Immunizations: documentation of a Hepatitis B immunizations series is required for all students
- Serology: both anti-HBs (hepatitis B surface antibody) and HBsAg (hepatitis B surface antigen) are required
- Serological evidence of immunity (please attach) OR proof of two doses of varicella vaccination
- Influenza immunization is strongly encouraged.
- Clinical clerks are offered influenza immunization through the health regions, as part of employee campaigns. The UGME offices in Saskatoon and Regina contact students with respect to these clinics, which are organized by Occupational Health and Safety units at both the Royal University Hospital (Saskatoon) and Regina General Hospital (Regina).
In the event of influenza or other outbreak, any unvaccinated or non-immune student will be excluded from the outbreak area and will not be allowed to return until the Regional Health Authority has determined it is safe to do so.