1. All residents are require d to attend scheduled mandatory Academic Rounds :
- (R1/R2) Surgical Foundation Seminars 4:30 to 5:30 or 6 pm (refresher course)
- Friday Academic Rounds at RUH 1:30 – 5:00 pm and RGH 8 am to 11am
- Department and Division Grand Rounds
2. General Surgery residents rotating off service:
Because our Academic Rounds are curriculum-based, general surgery program residents who are rotating off service are required to attend scheduled mandatory Academic Rounds. This includes residents rotating on all off-service rotations (Vascular Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Orthopedics, Thoracic Surgery, Anesthesia, Emergency, Urology, GIM, Radiology, ICU etc).
3. Post Call and On Call Residents:
All residents are to attend the scheduled mandatory academic rounds even if post call. Time retraints for post-call residents are directly related to the unsafe management of patients. Academic time does not involve patient care and so residents are not restricted and residents should be attending the academic time.
During the Surgical Foundation Rotation in ICU, if a resident is on call, they are not expected to attend the academic session, however, must if not on call for ICU.
Junior in-house residents at RUH and SPH should remain in-house and are not expected to attend any Grand Rounds off site.
There may be the odd occasion where a resident needs to leave post call and should contact the Program Director to discuss.
Resident Policies/Protected Time Policy updated September 18 , 2014