Dr. Wu completed his residency training in Neurosurgery and his MSc at the University of Saskatchewan, and did a fellowship in Neurosurgical Oncology at the University of Texas, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He has a special interest in surgery for tumors of the brain and spine, and research interests in the immunobiology of glioblastoma and axon regeneration.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
Postgraduate training/appointments and Academic Credentials:
- July 2008 - June 2010: Fellowship in Neurosurgical Oncology, University of Texan M.D. Anderson Cancer Centre
- November 2008: Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- June 2008: M.Sc., University of Saskatchewan
- June 2008: Certification by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in Neurosurgery
- June 2001 - June 2008: Residency in Neurosurgery, University of Saskatchewan
- June 2001: M.D., University of Toronto
- Wu AS, Witgert ME, Lang FF, Xiao L, Bekele BN, Meyers CA, Ferson D, Wefel JS. Neurocognitive function before and after surgery for insular gliomas. J Neurosurg. Epub Sep 9, 2011.
- Dziurzynski K, Wei J, Qiao W, Hatiboglu MA, Kong LY, Wu A, Wang Y, Cahill D, Levine NB, Prabhu S, Rao G, Sawaya R, Heimberger AB. Glioma-associated cytomegalovirus mediates subversion of th monocyte lineage to a tumor propagating phenotype. Clin Cancer Res, 17(14):4642-9, 2011. Epub Apr 13, 2011.
- Wu A, Wei J, Kong LY, Fuller G, Fokt I, Melillo G, Priebe W, Heimberger AB. Hypoxia potentiates glioma-mediated immunosuppression. PLoS One, 6(1):e16195, 2011
- Wu AS, Hatiboglu MA, Wei J, Heimberger AB. Immune therapeutic targeting of glioma cancer stem cells.Target Oncol, 5(3): 217-27, 2010.
- Wu A, Wei J, Kong LY, Wang Y, Priebe W, Qiao W, Sawaya R, Heimberger AB: Glioma cancer stem cells induce immunosuppressive macrophages/microglia. Neuro Onc, e-pub Jul 28, 2010.
- Wu AS, Aldape K, Lang F: High Rate of Deletion of Chromosomes 1p and 19q in Insular Gliomas. J Neuroonc, 99(1): 57-64, 2010 (e-pub Dec 25, 2009).
- Wei J, Barr J, Kong LY, Wang Y, Wu A, Sharma AK, Gumin J, Henry V, Colman H, Sawaya R, Lang F, Heimberger A: Glioma associated cancer-initiating cells induce immune suppression. Clin Cancer Res, 16(2): 461-473, 2010
- Wei J, Barr J, Kong LY, Wang Y, Wu A, Sharma AK, Gumin J, Henry V, Colman H, Sawaya R, Lang F, Heimberger A: Glioblastoma cancer-initiating cells inhibit T-cell proliferation and effector responses by the STAT3 pathway. Mol Cancer Ther, 9(1): 67-78, 2010
- Wu AS, Fourney DR. Histopathological examination of intervertebral disc specimens: a cost-benefit analysis.Can J Neurol Sci. 2007 Nov;34(4):451-5. PMID: 18062454 [PubMed - in process]
- Wu AS, Fourney DR: Incidence of unusual and clinically significant histopathological findings in routine discectomy. J Neurosurg Spine 5:410-413, 2006
- Wu AS, Fourney DR: Supportive care aspects of vertebroplasty in patients with cancer. Support Cancer Ther 2(2): 98-104, 2005
- Wu AS, Griebel RW, Meguro K, Fourney DR: Spinal subdural empyema after a dural tear. Case report.Neurosurg Focus. 2004 Dec 15;17(6):e10.
- Wu AS, Fourney DR: Evolution of treatment for metastatic spine disease. Neurosurg Clin N Am. 2004 Oct;15(4):401-11. No abstract available.