About Dr. Aleksander M. VitaliDr. Vitali joined the Division of Neurosurgery at the University of Saskatchewan after completing Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellowship at British Columbia's Children's Hospital in Vancouver under the direction of Dr. Paul Steinbok and Functional Neurosurgery Fellowship at Surgical Centre for Movement Disorders at the University of British Columbia under the direction of Dr. Christopher Honey. He has a special interest in pediatric and functional surgery including deep brain and spinal cord stimulation.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Division of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
Postgraduate training and appointments:
- May 2012: Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCSC) Examinations in Neurosurgery, Saskatoon, SK / Ottawa, ON
- 2006-2007: Pediatric Neurosurgery Fellow (under Dr P. Steinbok), British Columbia's Children's Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
- 2005-2006: Clinical Fellow, Surgical Centre for Movement Disorders, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- 2003: Fellowship of College of Medicines of South Africa, Neurosurgery [FCS(SA) Neurosurgery]
- 1994-2002: Medical Officer/Resident/Principal Medical Officer, Department of Neurosurgery, Wentworth Hospital, Durban, South Africa
- 1992: MD (Diploma of Physician) Warsaw Medical Academy, Poland
- 1986-1992: Medical Studies in Medical Academy in Warsaw, Poland
- Li H, Waterhouse K, Vitali AM – Complications and Caveats of Burst Spinal Cord Stimulation, Letter to the Editor – Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2017 Nov 44(6)759-760
- Intrathecal Baclofen in Multiple Sclerosis: Case series follow up of functional status. Yifan Wang MD; Aleksander Vitali; Karen Waterhouse; Darren Nickel; Katherine Knox – Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2017 Sep;44(5):532-537
- Tymczak Z, Vitali A – What’s the Twist? Twiddler’s Syndrome in Deep Brain Stimulation – Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences 2017; Sep 14:1-2.doi: 10.1017/cjn.2017.230
- P. Steinbok, C.V. Gopalakrishnan, A.R. Hengel, A.M. Vitali, K. Poskitt, C. Hawkins, et al – Pediatric thalamic tumors in the MRI era: a Canadian perspective – Child’s Nervous System 2016;32:269-280
- Ali K, Lu Y, Das U, Sharma RK, Wiebe S, Meguro K, Sadanand V, Fourney DR, Vitali A, Kelly M, May T, Gomez J, Pellerin E. Biomolecular diagnosis of human glioblastoma multiforme using Synchrotron mid-infrared spectromicroscopy. Int J Mol Med. 2010 Jul;26(1):11-6.
- Frangou E M, Tynan J R, Robinson C A, Ogieglo L M, Vitali A M. Metastatic craniopharyngioma: case report and literature review. Childs Nerv. Syst. 2009;25(9):1143-7.
- G.R.W Moore, AM. Vitali, E Leung, C Laule, P Kozlowski,AL. MacKay, CR. Honey - Thalamic stimulation in multiple sclerosis: Evidence for a "demyelinative thalamotomy", Mult Scler. 2009 Nov;15(11):1311-21
- McMaster J, Gibson G, Castro F, Vitali AM, Honey CR: Neurosurgical Treatment of tremor in anti-myelin-associated glycoprotein (anti-MAG) neuropathy. Movement Disorders September 2008
- Couvelier G, Vitali AM, Ford J, Dix D: Multiple Itracranial Tumors in Philadelphia Chromosome Positive Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Successful Treatment Following Aggressive Supportive Care, Early Cranial Radiation, High Dose Chemotherapy and Imatinib, Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2008;51(1):135-7
- Gupta A, Vitali AM, Rothstein R, Cochrane DD: Resolution of syringomyelia and Chiari malformation after growth hormone therapy. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008;24:1345-1348
- Sayer FT, Vitali AM, Low HL, Paquette S, Honey CR: Brown-Sequard syndrome produced by C3-C4 cervical disc herniation: a case report and review of the literature, Spine. 2008 Apr 20;33(9):E279-82
- Vitali AM - Acquired Encephalocele Attributable to Tuberculous Osteitis: case report, Neurosurgery. 2008;62(4):E976; discussion E976.
- Vitali AM, Steinbok P: Depressed skull fracture and epidural hematoma from head fixation with pins for craniotomy in children. Childs Nerv Syst. 2008;24(8):917-23; discussion 925. Epub 2008 Apr 4
- Vitali AM, Steinbok P: Spontaneous spinal epidural hematoma following weight lifting, Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences, 2008;35:262-264
- Sayer FT, Vitali AM, Paquette S, Honey CR: Isolated C3-C4 disc herniations present as a painless myelopathy, Spine J. 2007 Dec 12
- Vitali AM, le Roux AA: Tension Pneumocephalus as a Complication of Intracranial Pressure Monitoring: A case report, Indian Journal of Neurotrauma, 2007;4:115-118
- Vitali AM, le Roux AA: Modification of shunt introducer. Journal of Pediatric Neurosciences, 2007;2:67-68
- Vitali AM, Sayer FT, Honey CR: Recurrent trigeminal neuralgia secondary to Teflon felt. Acta Neurochirurgica (Wien), 2007;149(7):719-722
- Vitali AM, Jithoo R: Multiple manifestations of neurocysticercosis. Neurosurgical Image, British Journal of Neurosurgery, 2004; 18(6):650-651