- Clinical Quality Improvement
- Health Services Research
- Implementation Science
- Indigenous and Health Equity Research
- Realist Research
- Community-based Research
About Dr. Gary Groot
Gary is a clinical co-lead with the Ministry of Health’s appropriateness program, Director of Surgical Oncology at the University of Saskatchewan, and member of the national quality committee of both the Canadian Partnership against Cancer and the American Head and Neck Association. Gary also holds the Chair of the Equity Advisory Committee with the Canadian Partnership Against Cancer (CPAC).
In these roles he bridges the evolving needs of the health care system with his research interests.
Faculty, Community Health and Epidemiology
- General Surgical Oncology including head and neck, melanoma, sarcoma, breast and thyroid oncology
- Carr TL, Groot G, Cochran D, Holtslander L. Patient Information Needs and Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy: a Qualitative Meta-Synthesis. Cancer Nursing. 2018 April 27.
- Goodridge D, Rana M Harrison EL, Rotter T, Dobson R. Groot G, Udod S, Lloyd J. Assessing the Implementation Processes of a Large-scale, Multi-year Quality Improvement Initiative: a Survey of Health Care Providers. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Apr 3;18 (1): 237
- Carr TL, Groot G, Cochran D, Vancoughnett M. Holtslander L. Exploring Women's Support Needs After Breast Reconstruction Surgery: a Qualitative Study. Cancer Nursing. 2018 Feb 27. Epub 2018 Feb 27
- Kim C, Wright FC, Look Hong NJ, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, et al. (2018) Patient and provider experiences with active surveillance: A scoping review. PLoS ONE 13(2): e0192097.
- Gu J, Groot G, Boden C, Busch A, Holtslander L, Lim H. Review of Factors Influencing Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early Stage Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. Clinical Breast Cancer. January 2018.
- Kim, C., Liang, L., Wright, F.C., Look Hong N, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, Quan M, Urquhart R, Warburton R, Gagliardi A. Interventions are Needed to Support Patient-provider Decision-making for DCIS: a Scoping Review. Breast Cancer Research adn Treatment. 2018 Apr;168(3): 579-592. Epub 2017 Dec 23
- Davies, G., Lobanova, L., Dawicki, W., Groot, G., Gordon, J. R., Bowen, M., … Arnason, T. (2017). Metformin inhibits the development, and promotes the resensitization, of treatment-resistant breast cancer. PLoS ONE, 12(12), e0187191.
- Liu, B., Jana, K., Groot, G. (2017). Can a supervised algorithmic assessment of men for prostate cancer improve the quality of care? A retrospective evaluation of a prostate assessment pathway in Saskatchewan. Canadian Urological Association Journal. 11:S201 Co-Author, Accepted, Canadian Urological Association
- Chi, J., Walia, E., Babyn, P., Wang, J., Groot, G., Eramian, M. (2017). Thyroid Nodule Classification in Ultrasound Images by Fine-tuning Deep Convolution Neural Network. Journal of Digital Imaging. Co-Author, In Press Sprinter.
- Groot, G., Waldron, T., Carr, T., McMullen, L., Bandura L-A., Neufeld S-M, Duncan V., (2017). Development of a program theory for shared decision-making: a realist review protocol. Systemic Reviews. 6(114)
- Hinther, K., Harriman S., Groot, G., Klassen J., (2017). The Effect of Standardized Order Set for Intravenous Calcium Treatment on the Length of Hospital Stay in Secondary Hyperparathyroidism following Parathyroidectomy. Journal of Surgery Open Access. 3(3): 295-302, Published.
- Gu, J., Groot, G., Holtstander, L., Engler-Stringer, R.(2017). Understanding Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology. 11:1-7. Co-Author. Published, SAGE.
- Adegboyega L., Rotter T., Kinsman, L., Machotta A., Ronellenfitsch, U., Scott, S., Goodridge D, Plishka, C., Groot, G. (2016). What is a Clinical Pathway? Refinement of an Operational Definition to Identify Clinical Pathway Studies for a Cochrane Systematic Review. Biomed Central Medicine. 14(35): 1-5.
- Wang JT, Babyn P, Groot G, Otani R.(2016). Electronic Synoptic Reporting of Thyroid Nodules: Potential for Reduction in Number of Patients Undergoing Thyroid Nodule Biopsies.Open Journal of Radiology. 6:233-242
- Groot G, Chappell W.(1994). Electrocautery Used to Create Incision Does Not Increase Wound Infection Rates.The American Journal of Surgery.167(6): 601-3.
- Groot G, Rivers L.(1991). Abdominal Wall Actinomycosis Associated with Intrauterine Device Use: A Case Report.Canadian Journal of Surgery.34(5): 450-3.
- Groot G, Oleniuk FH, Burbridge B, Taranger PH, Barrett PH.(1989). Blunt Abdominal Trauma and Microscopic Hematuria - The IVP to Do or Not to Do, That is the Question. 29(9): 1301.
- Lawal AK, Rotter T, Kinsman L, Machotta A, Ronellenfitsch U, Scott S, Goodridge D, Plishka C, Groot G. What is a Clinical Pathway? Refinement of an operational definition to identify Clinical Pathway studies for a Cochrane systematic review. BioMed Central Medicine. 2016 Feb.
- Wanis KN , Hunter AM , Harington MB , Groot G, Impact of an acute care surgery service on timeliness of care and surgeon satisfaction at a Canadian academic hospital: a retrospective study, World J Emerg Surg. 2014 Jan 10;9(1):4. doi: 10.1186/1749-7922-9-4.
- Wanis K , Oucharek J , Groot G, Quality of thyroid referrals in Saskatchewan, Quality in primary care, 2013 21(4): 247-52.
- Groot, Gary; Rees, Henrike, Pahwa, Punam; Kanagartnam, Sivaruban; Kinloch, Mary, Predicting Local Recurrence Following Breast-Conserving Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer: The Significance of a Narrow (=2mm) Surgical Resection Margin. J Surg Oncol. 2011 Mar 1;103(3):212-6. doi: 10.1002/jso.21826. Epub 2011 Jan 15.
- Groot, Gary; Chappell, E. Wayne, Electrocautery Used to Create Incision Does Not Increase Wound Infection Rates, The American Journal of Surgery, 1994 Jun;167(6):601-3.
- Burbridge, Brent, Groot, Gary, Oleniuk, Fred, Taranger, Larry, Barrett, Peter, Excretory Urograph in Blunt Abdominal Trauma. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, 1991 Oct;42(5):326-8.
- Groot, Gary, Colquhoun, Brian, Murphy, Fergus, Unilateral Versus Bilateral Thyroid Resection in Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma: A Retrospective Analysis Using an Age-base Risk Group Definition. 1992 Canadian Journal of Surgery, Oct;35(5):517-20.