Dr. Gary Groot is a Professor in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology.
Gary is the Medical Director of Clinical Quality Improvement for the Saskatchewan Health Authority, Director of Surgical Oncology and Director of Quality, Department of Surgery and Director of Research, Division of General Surgery at the University of Saskatchewan. In addition his is the Program Director of the Clinician Investigator Program in the College of Medicine..
In these roles he bridges the evolving needs of the health care system with his research interests.
Dr. Groot holds a cross-appointment in the Department of Surgery
- Professor, Community Health and Epidemiology, University of Saskatchewan
- Professor, Department of Surgery, University of Saskatchewan
- Medical Director of Clinical Quality Improvement, Saskatchewan Health Authority
- Director of Surgical Oncology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- College of Medicine Representative, Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation (CSCI)
- Director of Research, Irene and Leslie Dubé Centre of Care
- Director of Research, General Surgery Residency Training Program
- Program Director, Clinician Investigator Program
Director of Quality Improvement and Patient Safety, Department of Surgery, University of Saskatchewan
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Health system/Quality Improvement research
- Cancer research
- Indigenous and community research
- Patient-oriented health research
- General Surgical Oncology including head and neck, melanoma, sarcoma,and thyroid oncology
Ongoing Research Projects
- Reducing the Burden of Young Women with Breast Cancer (RUBY Clinical Trial)
Provincial co-lead of a longitudinal study of young women with breast cancer with Dr. Pamela Meiers. Led nationally by Drs. Quan and Narod.
- Melanoma Margins Trial-II
Saskatchewan PI of a randomised controlled trial of 1 cm versus 2 cm margin of excision of the primary lesion for adult patients with stage II primary invasive cutaneous melanomas to determine differences in disease-free survival. A reduction in margins is expected to improve patient quality of life.
- The Northern Saskatchewan Spring 2020 COVID-19 Outbreak Response
Working with community to conduct an epidemiological and economic analysis of the COVID-19 containment including community-member and stakeholder stories.
- A Journey with You: Indigenous Peer Navigation in Saskatchewan Cancer Care
Piloting an Indigenous Patient Navigator in Saskatchewan to gain a deeper understanding of the unique health experiences and barriers facing Indigenous people with cancer.
- Novel Irreversible Electroporation Ablation Combined with TLR Agonists and PD-1 Blockade Eradicates Metastatic Melanoma
Developing a novel therapeutic protocol by combining IRE-ablation with immunotherapy to improve IRE-induced immune responses against tumours.
- AI-Derived Information on Indeterminate Lung Nodule: How Do patients Want Information Presented to Engage in Shared Decision-Making?
Understanding how patients feel about AI-generated information about their lung nodules and how that might impact their decision making regarding their care.
- Engaging Caregivers of Persons with Dementia in the Virtual Delivery of and Access to Health Information and Services
Virtual resources and supports to increase the capacity of caregivers to care for persons with dementia, form connections with other caregivers, and mitigate the risk of strain and burnout among healthcare professionals. Expand the awareness of modifiable risks, highlight effective interventions, and indicate potential areas needing innovation or further development.
- Liquid vs Tissue Biopsy Concordance in Samples of 1st Suspected BCa Recurrence & Metastasis
Saskatchewan PI of a multi-national clinical trial examining the potential of blood draws as a rapid and less invasive alternative to biopsies. Additionally comparing the results of a liquid biopsy test currently in development with results from standard-of-care (SoC) pathology results from tissue biopsies in the same setting.
- Preventing Cancer Through Métis Cultural Revitalization: a Framework for Saskatchewan
A project in partnership with Métis Nation-Saskatchewan (MN-S) to investigate how connection to culture, a social determinant of health, can support healthy behaviours among Métis citizens.
- Harm Reduction and Residential Supportive Care for High-risk Pregnant Women living with HIV: A Realist Evaluation
A patient-driven Realist evaluation of Sanctum 1.5, a harm reduction and residential supportive care program for high-risk pregnant women living with HIV. A team of researchers and pregnant women living with HIV conduct the RE of Sanctum 1.5 by identifying how and why Sanctum 1.5 works (or does not work) effectively, for which patients, and under what circumstances.
- Building a Coordinated Evidence-Support System in Canada to Inform Policymaking about Health and Social Systems
Expand capacity to respond to pressing policy issues by evaluating COVID-19 advisory structures and processes at the federal, provincial and territorial level; develop and maintain a living and searchable Canadian evidence-support system map of all the nodes of evidence support; identify insights from those involved in decision-making about key COVID-19 policy responses and; convene a stakeholder dialogue to spark action for piloting and scaling up efforts to build a coordinated evidence-support system to address and health- and social-system challenges in Canada.
- Long Covid in Saskatchewan
Gaining an initial understanding of the scope of the Long COVID problem in Saskatchewan by conducting focus group interviews with patients who have self-declared themselves as having Long COVID.
- Groot, G., Witham, S., Badea, A., Baer, S., Dalidowicz, M., Reeder, B., Froh, J., Carr, T. (2022). Evaluating a learning health system initiative: Lessons learned during COVID-19 in Saskatchewan, Canada. Learning Health Systems e10350 e1-9. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/lrh2.10350
- Irvine, K., Alarcon, M., Dych, H., Martin, B., Carr, T., Groot, G. (2022). Virtual surgical consultation during the COVID 19 pandemic: a patient oriented, cross-sectional study using telephone interviews. CMAJ Open. 10(4): e1008-1016. https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20210159
- Williams-Roberts, H., Groot, G., Linassi, G., Reeder, B. (2021) Long COVID: Priorities for health system response in Saskatchewan. Saskatoon, SK: Saskatchewan Health Authority. 36 p https://saskhealthauthority.libguides.com/ld.php?content_id=36173889
- Mousavi-Roknabadi, RS., Momennasab, M., Groot, G., Askarian, M., Marjadi, B. (2022). Medical error and under-reporting causes from the viewpoints of nursing managers: a qualitative study. International Journal of Preventive Medicine. 13(1): 103. http://dx.doi.org/10.4103/ijpvm.IJPVM_500_20
- Vats, K., Spafford, M., Groot, G., Graham, P., Banerjee, T., Deobald, R., Osmond, A. (2022). Moving towards the optimization of diagnosis for patients with sarcoma: a 10-year review of externally consulted sarcoma cases in a general anatomical pathology service. Annals of Diagnostic Pathology. 60. Online. http://dx.doi.org/doi.org/10.1016/j.anndiagpath.2022
- Asamoah, G., Khakpour, M., Carr, T., Groot, G. (2022). Exploring Indigenous Traditional Healing programs in Canada, Australia, and New Zealand: A scoping review. EXPLORE. In Press. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.explore.2022.06.004
- Groot, G., Dattani, S., Mondal, P., Darbyshire, R., Morin, C., Ginther, DN., Pham, H., Gill, J. (2022) A randomized controlled trial of negative pressure wound therapy to reduce colorectal surgical site infection. World Journal of Colorectal Surgery. Online ahead of print. https://www.wjcs.us.com/preprintarticle.asp?id=353524;type=0
- Vanstone, JR., Azizian, AR., Berry, W., Carr, T., Falastein, P., Mise, T-R., Patel, S., Sarker, KK., Yasinian, M., Groot, G. (2022) Identifying barriers and enablers of vaccine uptake from immunizers and individuals receiving a COVID-19 vaccine in Saskatchewan. Open Public Health Journal. 15. https://openpublichealthjournal.com/VOLUME/15/EPUB-ABSTRACT/EA-TOPHJ-2022-2/
- Community Leader and Stakeholder Perspectives on COVID-19 Containment Initiatives in North-West Saskatchewan 2022
- Fan, C., Wu, Z., Cooper, D., Magnus , A., Harrison, K., Eames, BF., Chibbar, R., Groot, G., Huang, J., Genth, H., Zhang, J., Tan, X., Deng, Y., Xiang, J. (2022) Activation of focal adhesion kinase restores simulated microgravity-induced inhibition of osteoblast differentiation via Wnt/B-Catenin pathway. International Journal of Molecular Science. 23(10),5593. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms23105593
- Groot, G., Ollegasagrem, S., Khakpour, M., Panahi, A., Goodridge, D., Lloyd, J., Rotter, T., Tymchak, Z., Carr, T. (2022) Facilitators and barriers to clinical pathway uptake and utilization among primary care providers in Saskatchewan - a qualitative study. Clinical and Investigative Medicine. 45(2), e1-9. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/35752977/
- Khaketla, M., Carr, T., Dubuka, N., Quinn, B., Reeder, B., Sarker, K., Addae, A., Ali, A., Groot, G., Sari, N., Vanstone, J., Hartness, C., Zayed R. (2022) Community and public health responses to a COVID-19 outbreak in north-west Saskatchewan: challenges, successes, and lessons learned. International Journal of Indigenous Health. 17(1) e1-14. https://doi.org/10.32799/ijih.v17i1.36703
- Babikr, F., Wan, J., Xu, A., Wu, Z., Ahmed, S., Freywald, A., Chibbar, R., Wu, Y., Moser, M., Groot, G., Zhang, W., Zhang, B., Xiang, J. (2021) Distinct roles but cooperative effect of TLR3/9 agonists and PD-1 blockade in converting the immunotolerant microenvironment of irreversible electroporation-ablated tumors. Cellular and Molecular Immunology. 18, 2632–2647. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41423-021-00796-4
- Shaw, R., COVIDSurg Collaborative, Groot, G. (2021) UK Head and neck cancer surgical capacity during the second wave of the COVID—19 pandemic: Have we learned the lessons? Clinical Otolaryngology 46(4) 729-735. https://doi.org/10.1111/coa.13749
- Shahid, R., Chaya, M., Lutz, I., Taylor, B., Xiao, L., Groot, G. (2021) Exploration of a quality improvement process to standardised preoperative tests for a surgical procedure to reduce waste. BMC Open Quality 10(3) e1570. http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjoq-2021-001570
- Witham, S., Carr, T., Badea, A., Ryan, M., Stringer, L., Barreno, L., Groot, G. (2021) Sâkipakâwin: Assessing Indigenous cancer supports in Saskatchewan using a strength-based approach. Current Oncology. 29(1), 132–143. https://doi.org/10.3390/curroncol29010012
- Brock, T., Abedin Chowdhury, M., Carr, T., Panahi, A., Friesen, M., Groot, G. (2021) Métis peoples and cancer: a scoping review of literature, programs, policies and educational material in Canada. Current Oncology. 28(6) 5101-5123.https://doi.org/10.3390/curroncol28060429
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative. Groot, G. (2021) SARS-CoV-2 infection and venous thromboembolism after surgery: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia. Online ahead of print.https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15563
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative, Groot, G. (2021) Effects of pre-operative isolation on postoperative pulmonary complications after elective surgery: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia 76(11) 1454-1464. https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15560
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative, Groot G. (2021) SARS-CoV-2 vaccination modelling for safe surgery to save lives: data from an international prospective cohort study. British Journal of Surgery 108(9) 1056-1063. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab101.
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, Groot, G. (2021) Machine learning risk prediction of mortality for patients undergoing surgery with perioperative SARS-CoV-2: the COVIDSurg mortality score. British Journal of Surgery 108(11) 1274-1292. https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znab183
- Azizian, AR., Carr, T., Muhajarine, M., Verrall, T., Hartness, C., Vanstone, J., Yasinian, M., Skrapek, C., Andreas, B., Farthing, G., Groot, G. (2021) Developing a patient-oriented realist evaluation for COVID-19 vaccine implementation in Saskatchewan: a methodologic framework. CMAJ Open 9(4) 1034-1039. https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20210041
- COVIDSurg Collaborative. (2021) Effect of COVID-19 pandemic lockdowns on planned cancer surgery for 15 tumour types in 61 countries: an international, prospective, cohort study. The Lancet Oncology. Online first. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(21)00493-9
- Zibrowski, E., Carr, T., McDonald, S., Thiessen, H., van Dusen, R., Goodridge, D., Haver, C., Marciniuk, D., Stobart, C., Verrall, T., Groot, G. (2021) A rapid realist review of patient engagement in patient-oriented research and health care system impacts: part one. BMC Research Involvement and Engagement 7, 72. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40900-021-00299-6
- Madani Larijani M., Azizian A., Carr T., Adams SJ., Groot, G. (2021). Combined Lumbar Spine MRI and CT Appropriateness Checklist: A Quality Improvement Project in Saskatchewan, Canada. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzab120
- Groot G., Baer S., Badea A., Dalidowicz M., Yasinian M., Ali A., Carr T., Reeder B., COVID-19 Evidence Support Team (CEST). (2021). Developing a rapid evidence response to COVID-19: The collaborative approach of Saskatchewan, Canada. Learning Health Systems e10280. https://doi.org/10.1002/lrh2.10280
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative. (2021). Timing of surgery following SARS-CoV-2 infection: an international prospective cohort study. Anaesthesia 76(6)748-758. DOI: 10.1111/anae.15458
- Larijani, MM., Dumba, C., Thiessen, H., Palen, A., Carr, T., Vanstone, JR., Fourney, DR., Hartness, C., Parker, R., Groot, G. (2021). Development of a Patient-Oriented Intervention to Support Patient-Provider Conversations about Unnecessary Lower Back Pain Imaging. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 18(5), 2786. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph18052786.
- COVIDSurg Collaborative, GlobalSurg Collaborative. (2021). SARS-CoV-2 vaccination modelling for safe surgery to save lives: data from an international prospective cohort study, British Journal of Surgery. DOI: 10.1093/bjs/znab101
- Fletcher-Hildebrand, S., Alimezelli, H., Carr, T., Lawson, K., Ali, A., & Groot, G. (2021). Understanding the impact of a residential housing program for people living with HIV/AIDS: A realist evaluation protocol. BMJ Open 2021;11:e044522. DOI: 10.1136/bmjopen-2020-044522
- Askarian, M., Groot, G., Taherifard, E., Taherifard, E., Akbarialiabad, H., Borazjani, R., Askarian, A., & Taghrir, MH. (2021). Basics of developing a COVID-19 reopening roadmap, a systematic scoping review. Iranian Journal of Public Health, 50(2): 232-244. https://ijph.tums.ac.ir/index.php/ijph/article/view/23133
- Carr, T., Arcand, L., Roberts, R., Sedgewick, J., Ali, A., & Groot, G. (2020). The experiences of Indigenous people with cancer in Saskatchewan: a patient-oriented qualitative study using a sharing circle. CMAJ Open 2020, 8(4), E852-E859. DOI: 10.9778/cmajo.20200012
- Roberts, R., Groot, G., & Carr, T. Decisions on cancer care by Indigenous peoples in Alberta and Saskatchewan: a narrative analysis. Rural and Remote Health, 2020 Nov: 20(4):5610. https://doi.org/10.22605/RRH5610.
- Askarian, M., Groot, G., Taherifard, E., et al. An overview of basics for developing a reopening roadmap amid COVID-19 pandemic, a suggestion for the world. Research Square, 2020 Nov:Version 1. https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-104826/v1.
- Archambault, P., Guay-Bélanger, S., Gélinas, V., Giguère, A., Ludwig, C., Ndiaye, MA., Stacey, D., Bansback, N., Groot, G., & Légaré, F. Patient-Oriented Research from the ISDM 2019 Conference: A Legacy Now More Relevant Than Ever, 2020 Oct:13: 649-652. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40271-020-00463-2.
- Groot G, Needs Assessment by Service Providers for Indigenous Cancer Supports in Saskatchewan. Research Report. 2020 June. Needs Assessment by Service Providers for Indigenous Cancer Supports in Saskatchewan
- Groot G, Sâkipakâwin: An Environmental Scan of Provincial Cancer Supports for Indigenous Patients and their Families in Saskatchewan. Research Report. 2020 May. Sâkipakâwin: An Environmental Scan of Provincial Cancer Supports for Indigenous Patients and their Families in Saskatchewan
- Quan M, Olivotto I, Baxter N, Friedenreich C, Metcalfe K, Warner E, MacLennan K, Stephen J, Akbari M, Howell D, Narod S, Engel J, Provencher L, Meguerditchian A, Dabbs K, Ward M, Helyer L, Boileau JF, Hodgson N, Groot G, Gomes T, Brackstone M, Gervais MK, Robidoux A, Wells B, Cox C, Down N, McCready D, Warburton R, Brie B, Christopher B, Hanrahan R, George R. Wright F, Holmes M, Kapala M, Biberdorf D, Chopra P, Hebbard P, Arnaout A, Cil T, Alex P, Bouchard-Fortier A, & RUBY site investigators. (2020). A pan-Canadian prospective study of young women with breast cancer: the rationale and protocol design for the RUBY study. Current Oncology, 27(5). https://doi.org/10.3747/co.27.6751
- Zibrowski E, McDonald S, Thiessen H, vanDusen R, Boden C, Carr T, Goodridge, D, Haver C, Marciniuk D, Stobart C, Verrall T, Groot G. Developing a program theory of patient-oriented research and health care system impacts: Protocol for a patient-oriented, rapid realist review. CMAJ Open. 2020 Aug:8(3): E530-E534. https://doi.org/10.9778/cmajo.20190181.
- Madani Larijani M, Azizian A, Carr T, Badea A, Groot G. Reducing Inappropriate Imaging Orders for Lower Back Pain Using MRI And CT Checklists: A Quality Improvement Study in Saskatchewan, Canada. Quality in Primary Care. Diagnostic Radiology. 2020 July:28(04): 24-31. https://primarycare.imedpub.com/reducing-inappropriate-imaging-orders-for-lower-back-pain-using-mri-and-ct-checklists-a-quality-improvement-study-in-saskatchewan.pdf
- Nyhof B, Wright F, Look Hong N, Groot G. Identifying opportunities to support patient-centred care for ductal carcinoma in situ: qualitative interviews with clinicians. BMC Cancer. 2020 Apr:20(364). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12885-020-06821-5.
- Baldwin P, Arnason T, Singh N, Otani R, Groot G. The Role of a Pre-Fine Needle Aspiration Clinic in Improving the Quality of Thyroid Nodule Investigation in Saskatchewan. Open Journal of Radiology, 2020 Mar:10(1), 23-34 https://doi.org/10.4236/ojrad.2020.101004.
- Waldron T, Carr T, McMullen L, Westhorp G, Duncan V, Neufeld S, Bandura L, Groot G. Development of a Program Theory for Shared Decision-making: A Realist Synthesis. BMC Health Services Research, 2020 Jan:20(59). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-019-4649-1.
- Carr T, Sedgewick J, Roberts R, Groot G. The Sharing Circle Method: Understanding Indigenous Cancer Stories. SAGE Research Methods Medicine & Health Cases. 2020. https://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781529711264.
- Groot G, Waldron T, Barreno L, Cochrane D, Carr T. Trust and World View in Shared Decision-making with Indigenous Patients: A Realist Synthesis. Journal of Evaluation in Clinical Practice. Epub 2019 Nov. 2020 Apr: 26(2): 503-514. https://doi.org/10.1111/jep.13307.
- Nyhof B, Wright F, Look Hong N, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, Quan ML, Baxter N, Urquhart R, Warburton R, Gagliardi A. Recommendations to Improve Patient-centered Care for Ductal Carcinoma in situ: Qualitative Focus Groups with Women. Health Expectations. 2019 Sep. https://doi.org/10.1111/hex.12973.
- Gu J, Delisle M, Engler-Stringer R, Groot G. Mastectomy Versus Breast Conservation Therapy: An Examination of How Individual, Clinicopathological, and Physician Factors Influence Decision Making. Current Oncology. 2019 Aug; 26(4):e522-e534. https://doi.org/10.3747.co.26.5079.
- Adegboyega L, Groot G, Goodridge D, Scott S, Kinsman L. Development of a Program Theory for Clinical Pathways in Hospitals: Protocol for a Realist Review. Systematic Reviews. 2019 Jun 8;8(136):1-7. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-019-1046-0.
- Carr T, Groot G, Cochran D, Holtslander L. Patient Information Needs and Breast Reconstruction After Mastectomy: A Qualitative Meta-Synthesis. Cancer Nursing. 2019 May/June: 42(3): 229-241 https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000599.
- New L, Goodridge D, Kappel J, Groot G, Dobson R. "I Just Have to Take it" - Patient Safety in Acute Care: Perspectives and Experiences of Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. BMC Health Services Research. 2019 Mar 28;19(199). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-019-4014-4.
- Gagliardi A, Wright FC, Look Hong N, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, Quan ML, Urquhart R, Warburton R. National Consensus Recommendations on Patient-centered Care for Ductal Carcinoma In Situ. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 2019 Jan:174:561-570. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-019-05132-z.
- Carr T, Westhorp G, Groot G. A Realist Approach to Qualitative Data Analysis: Interviews with Indigenous Patients with Cancer. SAGE Research Methods Datasets Part 2. 2019. https://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781526484888.
- Wang JT, Ellchuk T, Otani R, Groot G, Babyn P. Online TI-RADS Calculator. Open Journal of Radiology. 2018 Sep;8(3). https://doi.org/10.4236/ojrad.2018.83020.
- Thera R, Carr T, Groot G, Baba N, Jana K. Understanding Medical Decision-making in Prostate Cancer Care. American Journal of Men’s Health. 2018 Sep:1635-1647. https://doi.org/10.1177/1557988318780851.
- Gu J, Groot G, Boden C, Busch A, Holtslander L, Lim H. Review of Factors Influencing Women's Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early Stage Breast Cancer: a Systemic Review. Clinical Breast Cancer. 2018 Aug;18(4). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2017.12.013.
- Gu J, Groot G. Creation of a New Clinical Framework - Why Women Choose Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy. BMC Medical Research Methodology. 2018 Jul;18(77). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-018-0533-7.
- Goodridge D, Rana M Harrison EL, Rotter T, Dobson R. Groot G, Udod S, Lloyd J. Assessing the Implementation Processes of a Large-scale, Multi-year Quality Improvement Initiative: a Survey of Health Care Providers. BMC Health Serv Res. 2018 Apr 3;18(1):237. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-018-3045-6.
- Carr T, Groot G, Cochran D, Vancoughnett M. Holtslander L. Exploring Women's Support Needs After Breast Reconstruction Surgery: a Qualitative Study. Cancer Nursing. Epub 2018 Feb. 2019 Mar/Apr: 42(2): E1-E9. https://doi.org/10.1097/NCC.0000000000000600.
- Kim C, Wright FC, Look Hong NJ, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, et al. Patient and provider experiences with active surveillance: A scoping review. PLoS ONE 2018:13(2): e0192097. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0192097.
- Gu J, Groot G, Boden C, Busch A, Holtslander L, Lim H. Review of Factors Influencing Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early Stage Breast Cancer: A Systematic Review. Clinical Breast Cancer. 2018 Aug:18(4): e539-e554. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clbc.2017.12.013.
- Kim C, Liang L, Wright F, Look Hong N, Groot G, Helyer L, Meiers P, Quan M, Urquhart R, Warburton R, Gagliardi A. Interventions are Needed to Support Patient-provider Decision-making for DCIS: a scoping review. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. Epub 2017 Dec 23. 2018 Apr:168(3): 579-592. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10549-017-4613-x.
- Davies G, Lobanova L, Dawicki,W, Groot G, Gordon J, Bowen M, Harkness T, Arnason T. Metformin inhibits the development, and promotes the resensitization, of treatment-resistant breast cancer. PLoS ONE, 2017 Dec: 12(12), e0187191. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0187191.
- Liu B, Jana K, Groot G. Can a supervised algorithmic assessment of men for prostate cancer improve the quality of care? A retrospective evaluation of a prostate assessment pathway in Saskatchewan. Canadian Urological Association Journal. 2017 Sep:11(9): E338-43. https://doi.org/10.5489/cuaj.4237.
- Chi J, Walia E, Babyn P, Wang J, Groot G, Eramian M. Thyroid Nodule Classification in Ultrasound Images by Fine-tuning Deep Convolution Neural Network. Journal of Digit Imaging. 2017 Aug:30(4): 477-486. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10278-017-9997-y.
- Groot G, Waldron T, Carr T, McMullen L, Bandura LA, Neufeld SM, Duncan V. Development of a program theory for shared decision-making: a realist review protocol. Systemic Reviews. 2017 June: 6(114). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-017-0508-5.
- Hinther K, Harriman S, Groot G, Klassen J. The Effect of Standardized Order Set for Intravenous Calcium Treatment on the Length of Hospital Stay in Secondary Hyperparathyroidism following Parathyroidectomy. Restrospective PrePost Study. Journal of Surgery Open Access. 2017 Apr:3(3):295-302. http:// dx.doi.org/10.16966/2470-0991.151.
- Gu J, Groot G, Holtstander L, Engler-Stringer R. Understanding Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early-Stage Breast Cancer. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology. 2017 Feb:11:1-7, https://doi.org/10.1177/1179554917691266.
- Wang JT, Babyn P, Groot G, Otani R. Electronic Synoptic Reporting of Thyroid Nodules: Potential for Reduction in Number of Patients Undergoing Thyroid Nodule Biopsies. Open Journal of Radiology. 2016 Sep:6 (3):233-242. http:// dx.doi.org/10.4236/ojrad.2016.63031.
- Lawal A, Rotter T, Kinsman L, Machotta A, Ronellenfitsch U, Scott S, Goodridge D, Plishka C, Groot G. What is a Clinical Pathway? Refinement of an Operational Definition to Identify Clinical Pathway Studies for a Cochrane Systematic Review. BMC Med. 2016 Feb:14(35): 1-5. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-016-0580-z.
- Lawal AK, Rotter T, Kinsman L, Machotta A, Ronellenfitsch U, Scott S, Goodridge D, Plishka C, Groot G. What is a Clinical Pathway? Refinement of an operational definition to identify Clinical Pathway studies for a Cochrane systematic review. BioMed Central Medicine. 2016 Feb:14(35). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12916-016-0580-z.
- Wanis K , Hunter A , Harington M , Groot G. Impact of an acute care surgery service on timeliness of care and surgeon satisfaction at a Canadian academic hospital: a retrospective study, World J Emerg Surg. 2014 Jan:9(1):4. https://doi.org/10.1186/1749-7922-9-4.
- Wanis K, Oucharek J , Groot G, Quality of thyroid referrals in Saskatchewan, Quality in primary care, 2013:21(4):247-252.
- Groot G, Rees H, Pahwa P, Kanagartnam S, Kinloch M. Predicting Local Recurrence Following Breast-Conserving Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer: The Significance of a Narrow (=2mm) Surgical Resection Margin. Journal of Surgical Oncology. 2011 Mar:103(3):212-216. https://doi.org/10.1002/jso.21826.
- Groot G, Chappell EW. Electrocautery Used to Create Incision Does Not Increase Wound Infection Rates, The American Journal of Surgery, 1994 Jun;167(6):601-603. https://doi.org/10.1016/0002-9610(94)90106-6.
- Groot G, Colquhoun B, Murphy F. Unilateral Versus Bilateral Thyroid Resection in Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma: A Retrospective Analysis Using an Age-base Risk Group Definition. Canadian Journal of Surgery, 1992 Oct;35(5):517-20.
- Burbridge B, Groot G, Oleniuk F, Taranger L, Barrett P. Emergency excretory urography in Blunt Abdominal Trauma. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, 1991 Oct;42(5):326-328.
- Groot G, Rivers L. Abdominal Wall Actinomycosis Associated with Intrauterine Device Use: A Case Report.Canadian Journal of Surgery. 1991: 34(5): 450-3.
- Groot G, Oleniuk FH, Burbridge B, Taranger PH, Barrett PH. Blunt Abdominal Trauma and Microscopic Hematuria - The IVP to Do or Not to Do, That is the Question. 1989 Sep:29(9): 1301.
- Kenny, B., Hamza, S., Peermohamed, S., Shumilak, G., Groot, G., Osmond, A. (2021) A case of a pseudoneoplastic primary syphilis chancre on the neck. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology Case Reports. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jdcr.2021.08.034
- Madani Larijani, M., Azizian, A., Carr, T., Adams, S., Groot, G. (2021) Combined lumbar spine MRI and CT appropriateness checklist: a quality improvement project in Saskatchewan, Canada. International Journal for Quality in Health Care. https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzab120
- Sedgewick J.R., Ali A., Badea A., Carr T., Groot G. (2021) Service Providers’ Perceptions of Support Needs for Indigenous Cancer Patients in Saskatchewan: a Needs Assessment. BMC Health Services Research. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-021-06821-6
Supervision and Advisory Activities
- Orhan Yilmaz, Bachelor’s Equivalent, Co-supervisor, Interdisciplinary Summer Student Research Project, April 2022 to August 2022 (In Progress)
- Lorena Stringer, Master’s Equivalent, Principal Supervisor, College of Medicine Dean’s Summer Research Project - Assessing cancer support needs for Indigenous peoples of Saskatchewan using an online survey, May 2021 to August 2021 (Completed)
- Navdeep Hansra, Bachelor’s Equivalent, Principal Supervisor, College of Medicine Dean’s Summer Research Project - Improving the quality of transitions of care from the RUH to home for trauma patients living in the Athabasca Health Authority, May 2020 to August 2020 (Completed)
- Haley Eckel, Bachelor’s, Principal Supervisor, Highly Qualified Personnel in Research Training, January 2019 to September 2019 (Completed)
- Paige Froese, Bachelor’s Equivalent, Co-supervisor, College of Medicine Dean’s Summer Research Project – The role of a pre-FNE clinic in improving the quality of thyroid nodule investigation in Saskatchewan, May 2018 to August 2018 (Completed)
- Samuel Molot-Toker, Bachelors Equivalent, Principal Supervisor, College of Medicine Dean’s Summer Research Project –An analysis of the value of pre-operative history and physicals, May 2018 to August 2018 (Completed)
GRADUATE STUDENT SUPERVISION
- Mahour Taheri, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, September 2022 to present (In Progress)
- Cassie Stefanski, PhD, Principal Supervisor September 2021 to present (In Progress)
- Maria Diaz Vega, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, September 2021 to present (In Progress)
- Mikaela Vancoughnett, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, June 2019 to present (In Progress)
- Maniza Abedin Chowdhury, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, June 2019 to present (In Progress)
- Vahid Niazmand, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, September 2017 to present (In Progress)
- Amir Reza Azizian, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, September 2015 to present (In Progress)
- Gideon Asamoah, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, June 2019 to September 2021 (Completed)
- Melissa Wood, Master’s Thesis, Co-Supervisor, October 2018 to December 2019 (Completed)
- Lorena Stringer, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, January 2018 to October 2020 (Completed)
- Lawal Kazeem, Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, Effects of Clinical Pathways in Hospitals, January 2015 to September 2019 (Completed)
- Tamara Waldron, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, Realist Evaluation of Shared Decision Making, September 2016 to June 2018 (Completed)
- Jonathan Melville, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, Understanding Mechanisms or Protocol Implementation for the Early Recognition and Treatment of Probable Sepsis, September 2015 to April 2019 (Completed)
- Julie Kickbush, Master’s Thesis, Principal Supervisor, A Surgeon's Perception of Total Mesorectal Excision, July 2013 to January 2017 (Completed)
GRADUATE STUDENT CO-SUPERVISION
- Chanda Hetzel, Master’s Thesis, Co-Supervisor, The Decision-Making Process About Treatment for Indigenous Women with Breast Cancer from the Canadian Prairies, September 2015 to January 2019 (Completed)
- Jeffrey Gu, Doctorate, Co-Supervisor, An Examination of Why Saskatchewan Women Choose Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early-Stage Breast Cancer, July 2013 to September 2019 (Completed)
- Mahasti Khakpour, Post-Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, Realist Review of Supporting Traditional Healing into Canadian Primary Health, October 2019 to August 2020 (Completed).
- Hubert Alimezelli, Post-Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, A Realist Evaluation of Sanctum 1.5, September 2019 to July 2021 (Completed)
- Maryam Madani Larijani, Post-Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, Engaging Patients in Conversations About Unnecessary Low Back Pain Imaging: Choosing Wisely Saskatchewan, September 2019 to August 2021 (Completed)
- Elaine Zibrowski, Post-Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, Realist Review, May 2019 to June 2020 (Completed)
- Tracey Carr, Post-Doctorate, Principal Supervisor, Realist Analysis of Shared Decision Making, January 2015 to August 2018 (Completed)
OTHER ADVISORY ACTIVITIES
- Lucia New, Doctorate, Committee Member, September 2016 to present (In Progress)
- Ivan Urcia, Doctorate, Committee Member, September 2021 to present (In Progress)
PhD COMPREHENSIVE EXAMINER
- Lucia New, PhD Comprehensive Examination, Examiner, January 2018
- Tracy Everitt, PhD Comprehensive Examination, Examiner, November 2017
- Jeff Gu, PhD Comprehensive Examination, Examiner, May 2017
- Mohammed Khan, PhD Comprehensive Examination, Examiner, January 2017