- Multiple Sclerosis
About Dr. Katherine Knox
- B Kinesiology, McMaster University
- MD, McMaster University
- FRCPC Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, University of Saskatchewan
Dr. Knox’s clinical focus is the rehabilitation care of people with MS, spinal cord injury, brain injury and stroke. She is the director of the Saskatoon Multiple Sclerosis Clinic at Saskatoon City Hospital. Her main research interests include research in Multiple Sclerosis for which she has received funding from the MS Society of Canada and Saskatoon City Hospital Foundation. Dr. Knox is a primary investigator with the Cameco MS Neuroscience Research Center at the University of Saskatchewan. She enjoys teaching medical students and residents at the University of Saskatchewan and is a member of the management committee for the Western Pacific endMS Regional Research Training Centre.
- Multiple Sclerosis
- General Physiatry
- Knox KB, Saini A, Levin MC. The dilemma of when to stop disease-modifying therapy in multiple sclerosis: a narrative review and Canadian regional reimbursement policies. International Journal of MS Care. Published online: 22 May 2019. doi: 10.7224/1537-2073.2018-107
- Al-Sakran LH, Marrie RA, Blackburn DF, Knox KB, Evans CD. Establishing the incidence and prevalence of multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan. Can J Neuro Sci. 2018; 45(3): 295-303. doi: 10.1017/cjn.2017.301.
- Knox K, Clay L, Stuart-Kobitz K, Nickel D. Perspectives on walking from people with multiple sclerosis and reactions to video self-observation. Disability & Rehabilitation. [Published online: 22 Oct 2018] doi: 10.1080/09638288.2018.1496154
- Martin N, Traboulsee AL, Machan L, Klass D, Ellchuk T, Zhao Y, Knox KB, Kopriva D, Lala S, Nickel D, Otani R, Rauscher A, Perera WR, Sadovnick AD, Szkup P, Li D. Prevalence of extra-cranial venous narrowing on Magnetic Resonance Venography is similar in people with MS, their siblings, and unrelated healthy controls: a blinded, case-control study. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal. 2017 May;68(2):202-209. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2016.07.002
- Hughes KE, Nickel D, Gurney-Dunlop T, Knox KB. Total knee arthroplasty in multiple sclerosis. Arthroplasty Today. 2016;2(3):117-122. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.artd.2015.12.002
- Carlson RJ, Doucette JR, Knox K, Nazarali AJ. Pharmacogenomics of interferon-β in multiple sclerosis: What has been accomplished and how can we ensure future progress? Cytokine Growth Factor Reviews. 2015;26(2):249-261.
- Goodridge D, Rogers M, Klassen L, Jeffery B, Knox K, Rohatinsky N, Linassi G. Access to health and support services: perspectives of people living with a long-term traumatic spinal cord injury in rural and urban areas. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2015;37(16):1401-10. Pubmed PMID: 25332089.
- Thorpe LU, Knox K, Jalbert R, Lim JHJ, Nickel D, Hader WJ. Predictors of institutionalization for people with multiple sclerosis. Disability and Health Journal 2015;8:271-277.
- Knox KB, Rohatinsky N, Rogers M, Goodridge D, Linassi G. Access to traumatic spinal cord injury care in Saskatchewan, Canada: A qualitative study on community healthcare provider perspectives. Canadian Journal of Disability Studies. 2014;3(3):83-103. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.15353/cjds.v3i3
- Ploughman M, Beaulieu S, Harris C, Hogan S, Manning O, Alderdice P, Fisk JD, Sadovnick D, O’Connor P, Morrow S, Metz LM, Smyth P, Mayo N, Marrie RA, Knox KB, Stefanelli M, Godwin M. The Canadian Survey of Health, Lifestyle and Aging with Multiple Sclerosis: methodology and initial results. BMJ Open. 2014;4:e005718.
- Knox K, Wang Y, Nickel D, Schreiner L, Waterhouse K, Vitali AM. Intrathecal baclofen pump users with multiple sclerosis in Saskatchewan, Canada: A qualitative study. Poster presented at the 96th Annual Conference of the American Congress of Rehabilitation Medicine, Chicago, Nov 2019.
- Wiegers S, Donkers S, Paul L, Nickel D, Knox K. Web-based physiotherapist-guided home exercise program for moderate to severe multiple sclerosis: a pilot randomized-controlled study. Poster presented at the 67th CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, Ottawa ON, May 2019.
- Knox K, Paul L, Nickel D, Donkers S, Wiegers S. Web-based physiotherapy for people with moderate to severe multiple sclerosis. Poster presented at the 3rd Scientific Congress of the Progressive MS Alliance meeting, Toronto ON, May 2018.
- Sarpong-Kumankomah S, Gailer J, Hunter G, Kelly M, Knox KB, Popescu BFG, Nichol H. Quantification of metalloproteins in blood serum of stroke patients and healthy controls. Poster presented at the 6th Georgian Bay International Conference on Bioinorganic Chemistry, Parry Sound ON, May 2017.
- Wang Y, Vitali A, Waterhouse K, Nickel D, Knox K. Intrathecal baclofen in multiple sclerosis: case series follow up of functional status. Poster presented at the 65th CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, Niagara ON, May 2017.
- Andersen M, Nickel D, Knox K, McIntyre A, Mirkowski M, Bruno T, Bayley M, on behalf of the MSBEST Rehab Working Group. Team-based rehabilitation in multiple sclerosis: a systematic review of self-care outcomes. Poster presented at the 64th CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, London ON, May 2016.
- Knox K, Rogers M, Nickel D, Evans C. Physical activity sufficient for health benefits in adults approved for MS disease-modifying treatment. Poster presented at the 64th CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, London ON, May 2016.
- Brandt A, Nickel D, Knox K. Private and public engagement in a pilot community-based exercise program for persons with disabling neurological conditions. Poster presented at the 63rd CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, Vancouver, May 2015.
- Evans C, Nickel D, Britton K, Knox K. Utilization and switch patterns with dimethyl fumarate in a publicly-funded drug plan: the first eight months. Poster presented at the 2015 Annual Meeting of the Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers (CMSC), Indianapolis, May 2015.
- Kim B, Nickel D, Knox K. Patients’ pain management experience on a general inpatient rehabilitation unit. Poster presented at the 63rd CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, Vancouver, May 2015.
- Pierce J, Nickel D, Knox K. Venous thromboembolism (VTE) prophylaxis prescription patterns for ischemic stroke patients on a rehabilitation ward. Poster presented at the 63rd CAPM&R Annual Scientific Meeting, Vancouver, May 2015.
- Knox K, Linassi G, Rogers M, Goodridge D, Rohatinsky N. Rural vs. urban comparisons of provider perspectives of care for people with spinal cord injury. Poster presented at the 7th International Symposium: Safety & Health in Agricultural & Rural Populations: Global Perspectives (SHARP), Saskatoon, Oct 2014.
- Rohatinsky N, Goodridge D, Rogers M, Knox K, Linassi G. Accessing health services: a comparison between the views of healthcare providers and spinal cord injury clients. Poster presented at the 7th International Symposium: Safety & Health in Agricultural & Rural Populations: Global Perspectives (SHARP), Saskatoon, Oct 2014.