- Excitotoxicity-induced neuronal apoptosis in stroke and neurodegenerative diseases
- Lipid rafts and neuronal receptor signaling and trafficking
- Lipid Neurobiology
- Brain insulin signaling pathways
- Designing bioactive short peptides
About Dr. Changiz TaghibiglouChangiz Taghibiglou, Ph.D.
Department of Pharmacology
College of Medicine
University of Saskatchewan
- Pharm. D. (first grade with honors), College of Pharmacy, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz-Iran
- PhD, Department of Laboratory Medicine & Pathobiology (Clinical Biochemistry), University of Toronto, Canada
- Neuroscience and Behavior Research Group, Hospital for Sick Children, University of Toronto, Canada
- Brain Research Centre and Department of Medicine, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
- Brain Star Award winner 2009, Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) fellowship (CAD $ 144,000)
- Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research fellowship (CAD$ 115,000)
- Pham N, Sawyer TW, Wang Y, Rastgar Jazii F, Vair C, Taghibiglou C. Primary Blast-Induced Traumatic Brain Injury in Rats Leads to Increased Prion Protein in Plasma: A Potential Biomarker for Blast-Induced Traumatic Brain Injury. J Neurotrauma. 2014 Nov 4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Pham N, Dhar A, Khalaj S, Desai K, Taghibiglou C. Down regulation of brain cellular prion protein in an animal model of insulin resistance: possible implication in increased prevalence of stroke in pre-diabetics/diabetics. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 May 30;448(2):151-6.
- Stockwell J, Abdi N, Lu X, Maheshwari O, Taghibiglou C. Down regulation of brain cellular prion protein in an animal model of insulin resistance: possible implication in increased prevalence of stroke in pre-diabetics/diabetics. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2014 May;83(5):507-20.
- Cho T, Ryu JK, Taghibiglou C, Ge Y, Chan AW, Liu L, Lu J, McLarnon JG, Wang YT. Long-term potentiation promotes proliferation/survival and neuronal differentiation of neural stem/progenitor cells. PLoS One. 2013 Oct 17;8(10):e76860.
- Zhang S, Taghibiglou C, Girling K, Dong Z, Lin SZ, Lee W, Shyu WC, Wang YT. Critical role of increased PTEN nuclear translocation in excitotoxic and ischemic neuronal injuries. J Neurosci. 2013 May 1;33(18):7997-8008.
- Ahmad Nasrollahi S, Taghibiglou C, Fouladdel S, Dinarvand R, Moosavi Movahedi AA, Azizi E, Farboud ES. Physicochemical and biological characterization of pep-1/elastin complexes. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2013 Aug;82(2):189-95.
- Nasrollahi SA, Fouladdel S, Taghibiglou C, Azizi E, Farboud ES. A peptide carrier for the delivery of elastin into fibroblast cells. Int J Dermatol. 2012, 51(8):923-9. PMID:22788807 (a paper from my collaboration)
- Taghibiglou C (corresponding author), Mackenzie, I, Wang YT, and Cashman N. Sterol regulatory element binding protein-1 (SREBP-1) activation in motor neurons in excitoxicity and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS): Indip, a potential therapeutic peptide. Biochem. Biophys.Res. Comm. 2011, 413:159-63. PMID:21871872
- Taghibiglou C, Henry G.S. Martin, Ted W. Lai, Taesup Cho, Shiv Prasad, Luba Kojic, Max Cynader and Yu Tian Wang. Role of NMDA receptor-dependent Activation of SREBP1 in neuronal excitotoxic and ischemic neuronal injuries. Nature Medicine, 2009, 15:1399-1406; PMID: 19966780
- Taghibiglou C; Bradley C.A.;Gaertner T.; Li Y, Wang Y; and Wang YT. Mechanisms involved in cholesterol-induced neuronal insulin resistance.Neuropharmacology,2009, 57:268-76; PMID: 19523477
- Taghibiglou C, Henry S. Martin, Jacqueline K. Rose, Wang YT, and Rankin C. Essential role of SBP-1 activation in oxygen deprivation induced lipid accumulation and increase in body width/length ratio in C. elegans. FEBS Letters, 2009, 583:831-4 ;PMID:19187779
- Bradley CA, Taghibiglou C, Collingridge GL, and Wang YT. Mechanisms involved in the reduction of GABAA receptor alpha1 subunit expression caused by the epilepsy mutation A322D. Journal of Biological Chemistry,2008, 283:22043-50; PMID: 18534981
- Stephane Peineau, Taghibiglou C (co-first author), Wang YT and Graham L Collingridge. LTP Inhibits LTD in the Hippocampus via Regulation of GSK3β.Neuron, 2007, 53:703-717; PMID: 17329210
- Meilke JG, Taghibiglou C, Wang YT. Endogenous Insulin Signaling Protects Cultured Neurons from Oxygen-Glucose Deprivation Induced Cell Death.Neuroscience. 2006, 143:165-73; PMID: 16978790
- Mielke JG, Taghibiglou C, Liu L, Zhang Y, Jia Z, Adeli K, Wang YT. A Biochemical and Functional Characterisation of Diet-Induced Brain Insulin Resistance. Journal of Neurochemistry. 2005, 93:1568-1578; PMID: 15935073
- Wang Y, Ju W, Fam S, D'Souza S, Taghibiglou C, Salter M, Wang YT. AMPA receptor endocytosis is essential for NMDA-induced neuronal apoptosis.Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2004, 279:41267-70; PMID: 15319422
- Ahmadian G, Ju W, Liu L, Wyszynski M, Lee SH, Dunah AW, Taghibiglou C, Wang Y, Lu J, Wong TP, Sheng M, Wang YT. Tyrosine phosphorylation of GluR2 is required for insulin-stimulated AMPA receptor endocytosis and LTD. EMBO J. 2004, 23:1040-50; PMID: 14976558
- Man HY, Wang Q, Lu WY, Ju W, Ahmadian G, Liu L, D'Souza S, Wong TP, Taghibiglou C, Lu J, Becker LE, Pei L, Liu F, Wymann MP, MacDonald JF, Wang YT. Activation of PI3-kinase is required for AMPA receptor insertion during LTP of mEPSCs in cultured hippocampal neurons. Neuron.2003, 38:611-24; PMID: 12765612
- Wei Qiu, Changiz Taghibiglou, Rita Kohen Avramoglu, Stephen C. Van Iderstine, Mark Naples, Homa Ashrafpour, Shailen Mhapsekar, Ryuichiro Sato2and Khosrow Adeli . Oleate-Mediated Stimulation of Microsomal Triglyceride Transfer Protein (MTP) Gene Promoter: Implications for Hepatic MTP Overexpression in Insulin Resistance. Biochemistry. 2005, 44(8):3041-3049; PMID: 15723548
- Taghibiglou C; Rashid-Kolvear F; Van Idersteine SC; Letien H; Fantus G; Lewis GF; and Adeli K. Hepatic VLDL-apoB overproduction is associated with attenuated hepatic insulin signaling and overexpression of protein-tyrosine phosphatase 1B in a fructose-fed hamster model of insulin resistance. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2002, 277: 793-803; PMID: 11598116
- Carpentier A, Taghibiglou C; Leung N, Szeto L, Van Idersteine SC; Uffelman K; Buckingham R; Adeli K, and Lewis GF. Ameliorated hepatic insulin resistance is associated with normalization of microsomal triglyceride transfer protein expression and reduction in VLDL assembly and secretion in the fructose-fed hamster. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2002, 277: 28795-802; PMID: 12048212
- Taghibiglou C; Van Idersteine SC; Kulinsky A; Ruddy D and Adeli K. Effect of Avasimibe a novel ACAT-inhibitor on the apoB biogenesis in hamster hepatocytes. Journal of Biochemical Pharmacology. 2002,63: 349-60.PMID: 11853686
- Taghibiglou C; Carpentier A; Van Idersteine SC; Chen B; Ruddy D; Aiton A; Lewis GF; and Adeli K. Fructose-induced insulin resistance causes hepatic VLDL overproduction by facilitating lipoprotein assembly and reducing intracellular apoB degradation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2000, 275:8416-8425; PMID: 10722675
- Taghibiglou C; Ruddy D; Van Idersteine SC; Aiton A; Cavallo D; Cheung R; and Adeli K. Intracellular mechanisms regulating apoB-containing lipoprotein assembly and secretion in primary hamster hepatocytes. Journal of Lipid Research. 2000, 41: 499-513; PMID: 10744770
- Mangaloglu L; Cheung R; Van Iderstine S; Taghibiglou C; Pontrelli L; and Adeli K. Treatment with atorvastatin ameliorates VLDL overproduction in an animal model of insulin resistance, the fructose-fed Syrian golden hamster. Metabolism. 2002,51:409-418; PMID: 11912545
- Bonn V, Cheung R, Chen B, Taghibiglou C, Van Iderstine S, and Adeli K. Simvastatin, an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor, induces the synthesis and secretion of apolipoprotein AI in HepG2 cells and primary hamster hepatocytes. Atherosclerosis. 2002, 163:59-68; PMID: 12048122
- Nasrollahi SA, Taghibiglou C, Azizi E, Farboud ES. Cell penetrating peptides as a novel transdermal drug delivery system. Chem Biol Drug Des. 2012 Jul 31. doi: 10.1111/cbdd.12008. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 22846609
- Bradley CA, Peineau S, TaghibiglouC, Nicolas CS, Whitcomb DJ, Bortolotto ZA, Kaang BK, Cho K, Wang YT, Collingridge GL. A pivotal role of GSK-3 in synaptic plasticity. Front Mol Neurosci. 2012; 5: 13
- Stephane Peineau, Bradley C, Taghibiglou C,Wang YT and Collingridge GL. The role of GSK3 in synaptic plasticity. British Journal of Pharmacology.2008, 153:S428-37; PMID: 18311157
- Khosrow Adeli, Changiz Taghibiglou, Stephen C. Van Iderstine, and Gary F Lewis. Mechanisms Hepatic Very Low Density Lipoprotein Overproduction in Insulin Resistance. Trends in Cardiovascular Medicine.2001, 11:170-176; PMID: 11597827.
Books and Book Chapters
- Kalaj S and Taghibiglou C (corresponding author) 2012. Role of lipid transcription factor, sterol regulatory element binding protein 1 (SREBP1) in ALS: Potential therapeutic interventions. Chapter 2 in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis: Symptoms, Treatment and Prognosis (Editors:Katashi Segawa and Ryota Ijichi). Nova Publishing Company, New York (In Press). ISBN: 978-1-62257-679-1
- Tabatabaei Yazdi M, Nouri Daloui MR, and Taghibiglou C (1993). Molecular Biotechnology. Winner of the 12th Iranian Book of the Year (1994). In Farsi
- Changiz Taghibiglou (author, 1985). An introduction to chemical kinetics and its applications in determining expiration date of pharmaceuticals. In Farsi
- Wang YT, Taghibiglou C,and UBC: Indip, a novel peptide for treatment of brain trauma and stroke. US Patent filed on March 31, 2008.
- Therapeutic peptide for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Taghibiglou C, Wang YT, Cashman NR, and UBC; filed May 2 2009)
- Neuroprotective effects of PTEN-K13 peptide (Wang YT, Zhang S, and Taghibiglou C, and UBC; Global patent filed April 2011)