- General Pediatrics
- Pediatric Pain Management
- Interprofessional Collaboration
- Patient and Family-Centered Care
- Dr. Krista Baerg is a consultant pediatrician and associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Saskatchewan. Prior to entering medicine, she completed a bachelor of science in nursing and worked as a nurse in northern Canada.
- She is an active member of the Saskatoon Health Region Pediatric Pain Interprofessional Practice Council and Newborn Jaundice Working Group.
- She is an active member of the Canadian Pediatric Society. She has served on the executive and as President (2015-2017) of the Section of Community Pediatrics, the Public Education Sub-Committee, and the Action Committee for Children and Youth.
- Dr. Krista Baerg is the local Principal Investigator for the national Chronic Pain Network. More information can be found here.
- Dr. Baerg is the Principal investigator for the Canadian Surveillance Project on Complex Regional Pain Syndrome in Children and Youth
Specialized Clinical Services:
- General Pediatric Clinical Teaching Unit - In-patient management of general pediatric patients 0-17 years requiring hospitalization on the Acute Care Pediatrics ward
- Consultant Pediatrician, Ambulatory Services - Specialized clinics for children at Pediatric Outpatients, Royal University Hospital
- Interdisciplinary Pediatric Complex Pain Clinic. This clinic provides integrated care for children and youth with functional impairment (eg school absence) due to complex pain.
- General Pediatric Call Services - essential service call
- Privacy Officer, Department of Pediatrics (2012-2013)
- Acute Care Pediatrics and PICU/Observation Unit Planning Teams, Children’s Hospital of Saskatchewan (2010 – 2014)
- Medical Director and Division Head, General Pediatrics (2008 – 2014)
- Saskatoon Health Region Pediatric Pain Management Interprofessional Practice Council (2004 – present)
- Lake D, Baerg K, Paslawski T. Teamwork, Leadership and Communication: Collaboration Basics for Health Professionals. Brush Education; 2015. 127 pages. ISBN Print 9781550596403 ISBN eBook 9781550596434. See Review.
- Lyon ME, Baerg KL, Olson TN, Agnew BL, Smith-Fehr JC, Lyon AW. The clinical impact of implementing the Roche® bilirubin total Gen.3 method on neonate phototherapy. Clin Biochem. 2015 Jul 2. pii: S0009-9120(15)00259-3. doi: 10.1016/j.clinbiochem.2015.06.021. [Epub ahead of print]
- Baerg K, Nilson JA, Bonli R, Nelson K. Interdisciplinary Pediatric Complex Pain Clinic Outcomes: A General Pediatric Approach[abstract]. Poster presented at: 10th International Symposium on Pediatric Pain, International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) Special Interest Group on Pain in Childhood; 2015 May 31-Jun 4; Seattle, Washington, USA
- Tupper SM, Baerg K, Stinson JN, Rosenberg A. General Pediatrician and Pediatric Rheumatologist Confidence in Physical Activity Prescribing for Children with Chronic Pain (14-A-2007-IASP) [abstract]. 15th World Congress on Pain; 2014 Oct 6-11; Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Clatney L, Thiessen H, Baerg K. Building Better Doctors: Partnering with our future physicians to build a patient & family-centred culture (#0298-000286) [abstract]. Oral presentation. In: Partnerships for Quality and Safety. 6th International Conference on Patient- and Family-Centered Care; 2014 Aug 6-8; Vancouver, Canada. G1 p.32.
- Tupper S, Rosenberg A, Stinson J, Baerg K. Physical activity prescribing by community paediatricians for children with chronic pain: A vignette based study [abstract]. In: Paediatrics and Child Health. 91st Annual Meeting of the Canadian Paediatric Society; 2014 Jun 25-28; Montreal, Canada. June/July. 19:6, 2014.
- Smythe K, Smith-Fehr J, Baerg K. Impact of Adherence to Guidelines for Screening and Treatment of Neonatal Jaundice on Peak Bilirubin [abstract]. In: Paediatrics and Child Health. 91st Annual Meeting of the Canadian Paediatric Society; 2014 Jun 25-28. June/July. 19:6, 2014.
- Baerg K, SMith-Fehr J, Irwin H, Lyon M. Accurdacy Testing of Transcutaneous Jaundice Meters: Should Transcutaneous Jaundice Meters be Used Right Out of the Box?[abstract]. In: Paediatrics and Child Health. 91st Annual Meeting of the Canadian Paediatric Society; 2014 Jun 25-28; Montreal, Canada. June/July. 19:6, 2014.
- Balaton B, Baerg K. Survey of staff concerns about pediatric pain management[abstract]. In: Pain Research and management. Vol 19:3; e62. 35th Annual Scientific Meeting of the Canadian Pain Society; 2014 May 20-23; Quebec City, Canada. 2014.
- Clatney L, Thiessen H, Kimber C, Baerg K. "Patient & family care experience program: partnering with out future providers to build a patient- & family-centred culture". Oral presentation. Quality Summit, Health Quality Council of Saskatchewan.; 2014 May 6-7; Saskatoon.
- Smith-Fehr J, Baerg K, Lyon M. Accuracy and Precision Testing of Transcutaneous Bilirubin Meters.[abstract].3rd National Conference of the Canadian Association of Perinatal and Women's Health Nurses (CAPWHN); 2013 Nov 21-23; Niagra Falls. Accepted
- Tupper S, Rosenberg A, Baerg K, Stinson J. Physical Activity Prescribing by General Pediatricians for Children with Chronic Pain: Preliminary Findings. 9th International Forum on Pediatric Pain. Poster. 2013 Oct 3-6; Nova Scotia.
- Brindamour M, Baerg K. "Assessment and Management of Neonatal Jaundice: a Retrospective Chart Review of Infants Requiring Readmission of Treatment". Poster 1585495.[abstract]. In: Canadian Paediatrics Society 90th Annual Meeting Abstracts. Canadian Paediatric Society 90th Annual Conference;2013 19-22;Edmonton, Alberta. Paediatrics and Child Health. 18 (suppl A):p29,2013.
- Baerg K, Lake D, Paslawski T. Survey of Interprofessional Collaboration Learning Needs and Training Interest in Health Professionals, Teachers, and Students: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Research in Interprofessional Practice and Education. 2012 Feb 2;2(2). Epub 2012 Feb 2.
- Toye J, Lemire E, Baerg K. Perinatal and Childhood Morbity and Mortality in Congenital Analbuminemia. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2012;17(6):e20-23.
- Balaton B, Baerg K. Staff Concerns about Pediatric Pain Management [abstract]. Poster session presented at: 8th International Forum on Pediatric Pain; 2011 Oct 13-16; White Point, Nova Scotia
- Lee B, Chawla R, Langley JM, Forgie SE, Al-Hosni M, Baerg K, Husain E, Strong J, Robinson JL, Allen U, Law BJ, Dobson S, Davies D. Paediatric Investigators Collaborative Network on Infections in Canada (PICNIC) study of aseptic meningitis. bioMed Central Infectious Diseases. 2006 Apr 10;6(68). Epub 2006 Apr 10
- Rajput A, Baerg K. Cetirizine-induced dystonic movements. Neurology. 2006 Jan 10;66(1):143-4.