I am a Hematologist and Director of the Stem Cell Transplant Program at the Saskatoon Cancer Centre. I am also a Professor at the College of Medicine and an Adjunct Professor at the College of Graduate Studies and Research, University of Saskatchewan.
I graduated from the School of Medicine, Cairo University in 1993. I received residency training in internal medicine followed by a residency in hematology and fellowship in bone marrow transplants, last was at Princess Margaret Hospital, University of Toronto. I joined the Saskatoon Cancer Centre in 2010.
My main interest is in the treatment of malignant hematology, mainly Leukemia, MDS, Multiple Myeloma, and Lymphoma in addition to Stem Cell Transplant.
In addition to patient care, I am interested in clinical research and is the principal investigator of many clinical trials for hematological malignancies and stem cell transplant.
I have more than 60 publications in peer-reviewed journals, conference abstracts, and authored book chapters. I gave many presentations to peers at the national level and international levels.
I am an associate editor, a manuscript reviewer, and a member of the editorial board in many peer-reviewed journals.
I am member of the educational committee and Board of Directors "Secretary" of the Cell Therapy Transplant Canada (CTTC). I am also a member of the Canadian Leukemia Study Group and Canadian Stem Cell Transplant Expert Committee.
- Elemary, M., Moodley, O., Pearson, D., Goubran, H. (2020). Chapter 5 – Cancer- Associated Thrombosis (CAT). Precision Anticoagulation Medicine – A Practical Guide. Springer, Switzerland.
- Starkman, R., Alibhai, S., Wells, A., Geddes, M., Zhu, N., Keating, M., Leber, B., Chodirker, L., Sabloff, M., Christou, G., Leitch H.A., St-Hilaire, E., Finn, N., Shamy, A.,Yee, K., Storring, J., Nevill, T., Delage, R., Elemary, M., Banerji, V., Lenis, M., Kirubananthaan, A., Mamedov, A., Zhang, L., Rockwood, K., Buckstein, R. (2020).An MDS- specific frailty index based on cumulative deficits adds independent prognostic information to clinical prognostic scoring. Leukemia ;34(5):1394-1406.
- Tay, J.,Allan, DS., Chatelain, E., Coyle, D., Elemary, M., Fulford A, Petrcich W, Ramsay T, Walker I, Xenocostas A, Tinmouth A, Fergusson D. (2020). Liberal Versus Restrictive Red Blood Cell Transfusion Thresholds in Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation: A Randomized, Open Label, Phase III, Noninferiority Trial. J Clin Oncol.;38(13):1463-1473.
- Zeiser, R., Von Bubnoff, N., Butler, J., Mohty M., Elemary, M. (collaborator) et. al.(2020) Ruxoltinib for Glucocorticoid-Refractory Acute Graft-versus-Host Disease. N England J Med ;382(19):1800-1810.
- Walker, I., Panzarella, T., Couban, S., Couture, F., Devins, G., Elemary, M., Gallagher, G., Kerr, H., Kuruvilla, J., Lee, S., Moore, J., Nevill, T., Popradi G., Roy, J., Schultz, K., Szwajcer,D., Toze, C., Foley, R. on behalf of Cell Therapy Transplant Canada. (2020). Addition of anti-thymocyte globulin to standard graft versus-host disease prophylaxis versus standard treatment alone in patients with haematological malignancies undergoing transplantation from unrelated donors: final analysis of a randomized, open-label, multicentre, phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematol;7 (2): e100-11.
- Sabry, W., Elemary, M., Burnouf, T., Seghatchian, J., Goubran, H. (2020). Vitamin B12 deficiency and metabolism-mediated thrombotic microangiopathy (MM-TMA).Transfusion and Apheresis Science; 59 (1).
- Kodad, S., Sabry, W., Elsayed, A., Goubran, H., Elemary, M. (2019). Viral Infections in Allogeneic Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Recipients: Literature Review. OBM Transplantation; 3 (3)
- Mateos MV, Blacklock H, Schjesvold F, Oriol A, Elemary M (collaborator) et al.(2019). Pembrolizumab plus pomalidomide and dexamethasone for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma (KEYNOTE-183): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematology Journal; 6 (9): e459-e469.
- Usmani SZ, Schjesvold F, Oriol A, Karlin L, Elemary M ( Collaborator ) et al. (2019). Pembrolizumab plus lenalidomide and dexamethasone for patients with treatment-naive multiple myeloma (KEYNOTE-185): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial. Lancet Haematology Journal; 6 (9): e448-e458.
- Elemary, M., Sabry, W., Seghatchian,J., Goubran H. Transplant-associated thrombotic microangiopathy; diagnostic challenges and management strategies. (2019). Transfusion Apheresis Science; 58 (3):347-350.
- Heather A. Leitch,, Rena Buckstein, Nancy Zhu, Thomas J. Nevill, Karen W.L. Yee,Brian Leber, Mary-Margaret Keating, Eve St. Hilaire, Rajat Kumar, Robert Delage, Michelle Geddes, John M. Storring, April Shamy,Mohamed Elemary, Richard A. Wells. (2018). Iron overload in myelodysplastic syndromes: Evidence based guidelines from the Canadian consortium on MDS. Leukemia Research 74: 21–41.
- Houston BL, Jayakar J, Wells RA, Lenis M, Zhang L, Zhu N, Leitch HA, Thomas J. Nevill, Karen W.L. Yee, Brian F. Leber, Mitchell Sabloff, St- Hilaire E, Rajat Kumar, Michelle N. Geddes, Shamy A, Storring JM, Keating MM, Mohamed Elemary, Delage R, Mamedov A, Rena Buckstein. (2017) A predictive model of response to erythropoietin stimulating agents in myelodysplastic syndrome: from the Canadian MDS patient registry.Annals of Hematology; 96 (12): 2025–2029.
- Leitch HA, Parmar A, Wells RA, Lisa Chodirker, Zhu N, Thomas J. Nevill, Karen W.L. Yee, Brian F. Leber, Keating MM, Mitchell Sabloff, St Hilaire E, Rajat Kumar, Delage R, Michelle N. Geddes, Storring JM, Kew A, Shamy A, Mohamed Elemary, Lenis M, Mamedov A, Ivo J, Francis J, Zhang L, Rena Buckstein. (2017). Overall survival in lower IPSS risk MDS by receipt of iron chelation therapy, adjusting for patient-related factors and measuring from time of first red blood cell transfusion dependence: an MDS-CAN analysis. British Journal of Haematology;179 (1): 83-97.
- Joseph M Brandwein, Nancy Zhu, Rajat Kumar, Brian Leber, Mitchell Sabloff, Irwindeep Sandhu, Michelle Geddes, Jeannine Kassis, John Storring, Harold J. Olney, Mohamed Elemary, Andre C Schuh. (2017). Treatment of older patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML): Revised Canadian consensus guidelines. American Journal of Blood Research; 7 (4): 30-40.
- Thierry Burnouf, Mohamed Elemary, Julia Radosevic, Jerard Seghatchian, Hadi Goubran. (2017). Platelet transfusion in thrombocytopenic cancer patients: Sometimes justified but likely insidious. Transfusion and Apheresis Science; 56 (3): 305-309.
- Mohamed Elemary, Jerard Seghatchian, Julie Stakiw, Mark Bosch ,Waleed Sabry, Hadi Goubran. (2017). Transfusion challenges in hematology oncology and hematopoietic stem cell transplant-Literature review and local experience. Transfusion and Apheresis Science; 56 (3): 317–321
- See comment in PubMed Commons below Vinita Sundaram, Mohamed Elemary, Mark Bosch, Julie Stakiw, Sabuj Sarker, Riaz Alvi and Waleed Sabry. (2016). Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Transformed Lymphoma: Single-Center Experience . See comment in PubMed Commons belowLymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukemia journal; 6 : 35-39.
- Buckstein R, Wells RA, Zhu N, Leitch HA, Thomas J. Nevill, Yee KW. Brian F. Leber, Mitchell Sabloff , St Hilaire E, Rajat Kumar, Michelle N. Geddes, Shamy A, John M. Storring, Mohamed Elemary, Zhang L, Alibhai SM. (2016). Patient-related factors independently impact overall Survival in patients with Myelodysplastic syndromes: an MDS-CAN Prospective study. British Journal of Haematology; 174 (1): 88-101.
- Goubran, H., Elemary M, Radosevich M, Seghatchian J, El-Ekiaby M, Burnouf T. (2016). Impact of Transfusion on Cancer Growth and Outcome. See comment in PubMed Commons belowCancer Growth Metastasis Journal; 9: 1-8.
- Irwin Walker, Tony Panzarella , Stephen Couban , Félix Couture, Mohamed Elemary, Geneviève Gallagher, John Kuruvilla, Thomas Nevill, Gizelle Popradi, Jean Roy, Kirk Schultz, David Szwajcer, Cynthia Toze, Ronan Foley. (2016). Pretreatment with anti-thymocyte globulin versus no anti-thymocyte globulin in patients with haematological malignancies undergoing haemopoietic cell transplantation from unrelated donors: a randomised, controlled, open-label, phase 3, multicentre trial. The Lancet Oncology; 17 (2) : 164-173.