- Health Literacy
- Patient and Family Engagement
- Health Services Improvement for Persons with Advanced Illness
Donna Goodridge, RN, Ph.D. is a Professor in the Division of Respirology, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine and Executive Director of the Respiratory Research Centre. She is currently a member of the Canadian Thoracic Society Cannabis in Respiratory Disease Systematic Review and Chair of the Canadian Respiratory Health Professionals Interest Group on Improving Care for People with Advanced Respiratory Illness. Her primary research interests are: a) health system improvement with a focus on health literacy and b) patient engagement in self-management of chronic illnesses and age-related conditions.
EducationGraduate School and Year of Graduation:
|PhD, Interdisciplinary Studies, University of Manitoba||2004|
Current Academic Post to the University of Saskatchewan:Professor, Division of Respirology, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, College of Medicine
Role(s) in the Respirology Division:Executive Director, Respiratory Research Centre; Researcher
- Interstitial Lung Disease
- Lung Canger
- Sleep Apnea
- Dell C, Stempien J, Broberg L, Husband A, Jurke L, Rohr B, Smith J, Rubin J, Tupper S, Goodridge D, Fornsler C. A Case Study of the Patient Experience of Emergency Department Wait Times with Therapy Dogs. Patient Experience Journal. 2019 Apr 25;6(1):115-126.. Epub 2019 Apr 25.
- New L, Goodridge D, Kappel J, Groot G, Dobson R. "I just have to take it" - Patient safety in acute care: Perspectives and experiences of patients with chronic kidney disease. BMC Health Services Re-search. 2019 Apr 2;19:199. Epub 2019 Apr 2.
- Goodridge D, Bandara T, Marciniuk D, Hutchinson S, Crossman L, Kachur B, Higgins D, Bennett A. Promoting chronic disease management in persons with socially complex needs: a qualitative descriptive study. Chronic Respiratory Disease. 2019 Mar 7;16:1-9. Epub 2019 Mar 7.
- Hunter P, McCleary L, Akhtar-Danesh L, Goodridge D, Hadjivrasto-polous T, Kaasalainen S, Sussman T, Thompson G, Venturato L, Wickson-Griffiths A. Mind the gap: Is the Canadian long-term care workforce ready for a palliative care mandate? Ageing and Society. 2019 Jan 15;2019:1-21. Epub 2019 Jan 15. doi:10.1017/S0144686X18001629.
- Harman L, Guthrie D, Cohen J, DeClerq A, Fisher K, Goodridge D, Hirdes J, Myers J, Paris C, Seow H. Potential quality indicators for seriously-ill home care clients: a cross-sectional analysis using Resident Assessment Instrument for Home Care (RAI-HC) in Ontario. BMC Palliative Care. 2019 Jan 10;18(1):3. Epub 2019 Jan 10. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12904-018-0389-y.
- Lougheed D, Taite A, ten Hove J, van Dam A, Ducharme F, Ferrone M, Gershon A, Goodridge D, Graham B, Gupta S, Licksai C, MacPherson A, Styling G, Tamari I, To T. Pan-Canadian Asthma and COPD Standards for Electronic Health Records: Expert Working Group Report. Canadian Journal of Respiratory, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. 2018 Nov 6;2(4):244-250. Epub 2018 Nov 6. https://doi.org/10.1080/24745332.2018.1517623.
- Brown J, Thorpe L, Goodridge D. Completion of medical certificates of death after an assisted death: An environmental scan of practices. Healthcare Policy. 2018 Nov;14(2):59-67. Epub 2018 Nov.
- Goodridge D, Martyniuk S, Stempien J. At Risk for Emotional Harm in the Emergency Department: Older Adult Patients’ and Caregivers’ Experiences, Strategies and Recommendations. Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine. 2018 Sep 17;4:1-9. Epub 2018 Sep 17.
- Brown J, Goodridge D, Thorpe L, Chipanshi M. Factors Contributing to Practitioner Choice When Declining Involvement in Legally Avail-able Care: A Scoping Review Protocol. BMJ Open. 2018 Aug 17;8:e023901. Epub 2018 Aug 17.
- Goodridge D, Stempien J. Understanding Why Older Adults Choose to Seek Non-Urgent Care in the Emergency Department: The Patient’s Perspective. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2019 Feb 20;21(2):243-248. Epub 2018 May 31. https://doi.org/10.1017/cem.2018.378.
- Rotter T, Plishka C, Lawal A, Harrison E, Sari N, Goodridge D, Flynn R, Chan J, Fiander M, Poksinska B, Willoughby K, Kinsman L. What is Lean management in healthcare? Development of an operational definition for a Cochrane systematic review. Evaluation and the Health Professions. 2018 Apr 12;18:1-25. DOI: 10.1177/0163278718756992.
- Goodridge D, Rana M, Harrison E, Rotter T, Dobson R, Groot G, Udod S, Lloyd J. Assessing the Implementation Processes of a Large-Scale, Multi-Year Quality Improvement Initiative: Survey of Health Care Providers. BMC Health Services Research (IF=2.10). 2018 Apr 3;18:237. Epub 2018 Apr 4.
- Goodridge D, Henry C, Watson E, McDonald M, New L, Harrison E, Scharf M, Penz E, Campbell S, Rotter T. Structured Approaches to Promote Patient and Family Engagement in Treatment in Acute Care Hospital Settings: Protocol for A Systematic Scoping Review. Systematic Reviews. 2018 Feb 28;5:35. Epub 2018 Feb 28. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13643-018-0694-9.
- Ospina M, Michas M, Deuchar L, Leigh R, Bhutani M, Rowe B, Marciniuk D, Goodridge D, Dechman G, Bourbeau J, Balter M, Camp P, Hernandez P, Goldstein R, Stickland M. Development of a patient-centred, evidence- and consensus-based discharge care bundle for patients with acute exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. BMC Respiratory Open. 2018 Jan 15;5(1):e000265.
- Rotter T, Plishka C, Hansia MR, Goodridge D, Penz E, Kinsman L, Lawal A, O'Quinn S, Buchan N, Comfort P, Patel P, Anderson S, Winkel T, Lang RL, Marciniuk D. The development, implementation and evaluation of clinical pathways for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) in Saskatchewan: Protocol for an interrupted time series evaluation. BMC Health Services Research. 2017 Nov 28;17:782.
- Goodridge D, Isinger T, Rotter T. Patient Family Advisors' Perspectives on Engagement in Health Quality Improvement Initiatives: Pow-er and Partnership. Health Expectations (IF 3.2, Rank 5/75 Health Policy and Services). 2018 Jan 2;21(1):379-386. Epub 2017 Sep 28. doi:10.1111/hex.12633.
- Sari N, Rotter T, Goodridge D, Harrison L, Kinsman L. An economic analysis of a system wide Lean approach: cost estimations for the implementation of Lean in the Saskatchewan health care system for 2012-2014. BMC Health Services Research. 2017 Aug 3;15:523. Epub 2017 Aug 3.
- Gupta S, Goodridge D, Pakhale S, McIntyre K, Pendharkar S. Choos-ing Wisely: The Canadian Thoracic Society' List of six things that physicians and patients should question. Canadian Journal of Respiratory, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine. 2017 Jun 21;1(2):54-61. Epub 2017 Jun 21.http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/zJdG389yxpuuwKtchTK8/full .
- Lawson J, Goodridge D, Rennie D, Zhao G, Marciniuk D. Profile of a National Sample of Canadian Children with Participation and Activity Limitations. Journal of Child Health Care. 2017 Apr 18;21(2):201-211. Epub 2017 Apr 18.
- Goodridge D, Heal-Salahub J, Paus-Jenssen E, James G, Lidington J. Peer Bullying in Seniors' Subsidized Apartment Communities in Saskatoon, Canada: Participatory Research. Health and Social Care in the Community (IF=1.6, Rank 5/41 Social Work). 2017 Jun 12;25(4):1439-1447. Epub 2017 Mar 23.
- Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Kachur B, Higgins D, Achilles S. Development and Evaluation of a Conceptually-Based Home Telecare Program: Findings from a Mixed Methods Pilot Study (Featured P-per). Canadian Journal of Nursing Informatics. 2016 Dec 21;11(4):1-20. Epub 2016 Dec 21.
- Rohatinsky N, Goodridge D, Rogers M, Nickel D, Linassi G. Shifting the balance: Conceptualizing empowerment in individuals with spinal cord injury. Health and Social Care in the Community. 2017 Mar;25(2). Epub 2016 Jul 11.
- Plishka C, Rotter T, Kinsman L, Hansia MR, Lawal A, Goodridge D, Penz E, Marciniuk D. Effects of Clinical Pathways for Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) on Patient, Professional and System Outcomes: Protocol for a Systematic Review. Systematic Re-views. 2016 Jun;2016(5):135. DOI 10.1186/s13643-016-0311-8.
- Lawal A, Rotter T, Kinsman L, Machotta A, Ronellenfitsch U, Scott SD, Goodridge D, Plishka C, Groot G, van der Weijden T. What is a clinical pathway? Refinement of an operational definition to identify Clinical Pathway studies for a Cochrane systematic review. BMC Medicine (IF 7.36). 2016 Feb 23;14:35. Epub 2016 Feb 23. DOI 10.1186/s12916-016-0580-z.
- Goodridge D, Marciniuk D. Rural and remote care: Overcoming the challenges of distance. Chronic Respiratory Disease. 2016 Feb 22;13(2):192-203. Epub 2016 Feb 22. DOI: 10.1177/1479972316633414.
- Ampofo-Addo O, Mou H, Olfert R, Goodridge D. Location decisions of family physicians in Saskatchewan: What really matters? Canadian Journal of Rural Medicine. 2016 Jan;21(1):7-12.
- Goodridge D, Westhorp G, Rotter T, Dobson R, Bath B. Lean and leadership practices: Development of an initial Realist Program Theo-ry. BMC Health Services Research. 2015 Sep 7;15:362 DOI: 10.1186/s12913-0. Epub 2015 Sep 7. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/15/362.
- Venne R, Goodridge D, Quinlan E, Hunter P. Let's Talk about Dying: Proposals for Encouraging Discussion of Advance Care Planning. International Journal of Aging and Society. 2015 Jul 24;5(4):33-46. Epub 2015 Jul 24.
- Rotter T, Goodridge D, Kinsman L, Stevenson K, Bath B, Harrison L, Dobson R, Sari N. Kandischer Kraftakt (Published in German). Fuehren un wrischaften im Krankenhaus. 2015 Jun;2015(6):412-4.
- Comment: This is the most widely read hospital management journal in German-speaking countries. This publication will help disseminate our work to German-speaking countries such as Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Belgium. My name as author was missed in the original publication and appears in an erratum July, 2015.
- Camp P, Hernandez P, Bourbeau J, Kirkham A, Debigare R, Stick-land M, Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Road J, Bhutani M, Dechman G. Pulmonary Rehabilitation in Canada: A Report from the Canadian Thoracic Society/Canadian Respiratory Health Professionals. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2015 May;22(3):147-152.
- Camp P, Kirkham A, Hoens A, Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Reid D, Brooks D. A Clinical Decision-Making Tool for Safe and Effective Prescription of Exercise in Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstruc-tive Pulmonary Disease: Results from a Delphi Survey and Focus Groups. Physical Therapy. 2015 Apr 16;95(10):11387-1396. Epub 2015 Apr 16. Online First DOI:10.2522/ptj.20140542.
- Tsiligianni I, Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Hull S, Bourbeau J. Four patients with a history of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Primary Care Respiratory Medicine. 2015 Apr;25:15-23. Epub 2015 May 7.
- Criner GJ, Bourbeau J, Diekemper R, Ouellette D, Goodridge D, Her-nandez P, Curren K, Balter M, Bhutani M, Camp P, Celli B, Dechman G, Dransfield M, Fiel S, Foreman M, Hanania N, Ireland BK, Marchetti N, Marciniuk DD, Mularski R, Road J, Stickland M. Prevention of Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: American College of Chest Physicians and Canadian Thoracic Society Guideline. Chest. 2014 Oct;10:1-28. Epub 2014 Oct. doi:10.1378/chest.14-1677.
- Criner G, Bourbeau J, Diekemper R, Ouellette D, Goodridge D, Her-nandez P, Curren K, Balter M, Bhutani M, Camp P, Celli B, Dechman G, Dransfield M, Fiel S, Foreman M, Hanania N, Ireland B, Marchetti N, Marciniuk D, Mularski R, Omelas J, Road J, Stickland M. Executive Summary: Prevention of Acute Exacerbation of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease: American College of Chest Physicians and Ca-nadian Thoracic Society Guideline. Chest. 2014 Oct;14:1-225. Epub 2014 Oct. doi:10.1378/chest.14-1676.
- Goodridge D, Rogers M, Klassen L, Jeffery B, Knox K, Rohatinsky N, Linassi G. Access to health and support services: Perspectives of people living with a long-term traumatic spinal cord injury in rural and urban areas. Disability and Rehabilitation. 2014 Oct;37(16):1401-10. Epub 2014 Oct. DOI: 10.3109/09638288.2014.972593.
- Kinsman L, Rotter T, Stevenson K, Bath B, Goodridge D, Harrison E, Dobson R, Sari N, Jeffery C, Bourassa C, Westhorp G. The largest Lean transformation in the world: the implementation and evaluation of Lean in Saskatchewan. Healthcare Quarterly. 2014 Sep 10;17(2):29-32.
- Knox K, Rohatinsky N, Rogers M, Goodridge D, Linassi G. Access to traumatic spinal cord injury care in Saskatchewan, Canada: a qualitative study on community health care provider perspectives. Canadian Journal of Disability Studies. 2014 Sep;3(3):83-. Epub 2014 Sep. http://cjds.uwaterloo.ca/index.php/cjds/article/view/174/295.
- Goodridge D, Quinlan E, Venne R, Hunter P, Surtees D. Planning for Serious Illness by the General Public: a Population-Based Survey. ISRN Family Medicine. 2013 Dec 31;2013:doi:10.5402/2013/483673. Article ID 483673 doi:10.5402/2013/483673.
- Goodridge D, Nicol J, Horvey K, Butcher S. Therapeutic Singing as an Adjunct for Pulmonary Rehabilitation Participants with COPD. Music and Medicine (SAGE). 2013 Jul;5:169-176. Epub 2013 Jul. doi:10.1177/1943862113493012.
- Camp P, Reid D, Yamabayashi C, Brooks D, Goodridge D, Chung F, Marciniuk D, Neufeld A, Hoens A. Safe and effective prescription of exercise in acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: rationale and methods for an integrated knowledge translation study. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2013 Jul;20(4):281-284.
- Goodridge D. Planning for serious illness amongst community-dwelling adults. Nursing Research and Practice. 2013 Mar;2013(2013). Epub 2013 Mar. doi:10.1177/1943862113493012.
- Bailey P, Boyles CMM, Duff-Cloutier J, Bartlett A, Goodridge D, Manji M, Dusek B. Best Practice in Nursing Care of Dyspnea: The 6th Vital Sign in Individuals with COPD. Journal of Nursing Education and Practice. 2013 Jan;3(1):108-122.
- Duggleby W, Cooper L, Leipert B, Wilson D, Williams A, Marshall D, Goodridge D. Development of a “Changes Toolkit” for Rural Older Palliative Patients and Their Family Caregivers. Journal of Rural and Community Development. 2012 Dec;7(4):62-75.
- Goodridge D, Hawranik P, Duncan V, Turner H. Socioeconomic dis-parities in home health care services access and utilization: a scoping review. International Journal of Nursing Studies. 2012;49(10):1310-1319. Epub 2012 Jan 31.
- Penz K, Duggleby W, Wilson D, Williams A, Leipert B, Marshall D, Goodridge D. Palliative Care Professionals' Perceptions of Effective Interpersonal Communication in the Context of Caring for Older Adults in Rural Settings. Journal of Rural and Community Development. 2012;7(4):22-37.
- Reid WD, Yamabayashi C, Goodridge D, Chung F, Hunt M, Marciniuk D, Brooks D, Chen E, Camp P. Exercise prescription for hospitalized people with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and comorbidities: a synthesis of systematic reviews. International Journal of COPD. 2012;7:297-320.
- Marciniuk DD, Hernandez P, Aaron S, Balter M, Bourbeau J, Chap-man K, Ford G, Lauzon J, Maltais F, O'Donnell DE, Goodridge D, Strange C, Cave AJ, Curren K, Muthuri S. Alpha-1-Antitrypsin deficiency targeted testing and augmentation therapy: A Canadian Thoracic Society clinical practice guidelines. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2012;19(2):109-116.
- Goodridge D, Buckley A, Marko J, Steeves M, Turner H, Whitehead S. Home care clients in the last year of life: Is material deprivation associated with service characteristics? Journal of Aging and Health. 2011 Sep;23(6):954-973.
- Goodridge D, Hutchinson S, Wilson D, Ross C. Living in a rural area with advanced chronic respiratory illness: a qualitative study. Primary Care Respiratory Journal. 2011;20(1):54-59.
- Duggleby W, Penz K, Leipert B, Wilson D, Goodridge D, Williams A. I am part of the community...but: The changing rural context for per-sons with advanced cancer and their families. Rural and Remote Health. 2011;11(3):1733.
- Goodridge D. Commentaries. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation. 2011;18(11):641.
- Goodridge D, Lawson J, Marciniuk D, Rennie D. A profile of Canadian adults living with participation and activity limitations. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2011;183(13):E1017-1024.
- Goodridge D, Duggleby W. Using a quality framework to assess rural palliative care. Journal of Palliative Care. 2010;26(3):199-205.
- Duggleby W, Penz K, Goodridge D, Wilson D, Leipert B, Berry P, Keall S, Justice C. The transition experience of rural older persons with advanced cancer and their families: A grounded theory study. BMC Palliative Care. 2010;9:5.
- Goodridge D, Lawson J, Rennie D, Marciniuk D. Rural/urban differences in health care utilization and place of death for persons with respiratory illness in the last year of life. Rural and Remote Health. 2010;10:1349-1363.
- Marciniuk D, Goodridge D, Hernandez P, Rocker G, Balter M, Bailey P, Ford G, Bourbeau J, O'Donnell DE, Maltais F, Mularski R, Cave AJ, Mayers I, Kennedy V, Olivier TK, Brown C, Canadian Thoracic Society Dyspnea Working Group. Managing dyspnea in patients with advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary disease: A Canadian Thoracic Society clinical practice guideline. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2010;18(2):69-78.
- McKee N, Goodridge D, Remillard AJ, D'Eon M. Interprofessional palliative care problem-based learning: Evaluation of a pilot module as a teaching method. Journal of Interprofessional Care. 2010;24(20):194-197.
- Wong C, Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Rennie D. Fatigue in patients with COPD participating in a pulmonary rehabilitation program. Inter-national Journal of COPD. 2010;5:319-326.
- Goodridge D, Lawson J, Rocker G, Rennie D, Marciniuk D. Factors associated with opioid dispensation for patients with COPD and lung cancer in the last year of life: A retrospective analysis. International Journal of COPD. 2010;5:99-105
- Goodridge D. End of life care policies: Do they make a difference in practice? Social Science and Medicine. 2010;70(8):1116-1170.
- Rocker G, Horton R, Currow D, Goodridge D, Young J, Booth S. Palliation of dyspnea in advanced chronic obstructive pulmonary dis-ease: Revisiting a role for opioids. Thorax. 2009;64:910-915.
- Goodridge D, Duggleby W, Gjevre J, Rennie D. Exploring the quality of dying of patients with COPD in the ICU. Nursing in Critical Care. 2009;14(2):342-349.
- Goodridge D, Marciniuk D, Brooks D, Van Dam A, Hutchinson S, Bai-ley P. End-of-life care for persons with advanced COPD: report of a national interdisciplinary consensus meeting. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2009;16:51-53.
- Wilson D, Ross C, Goodridge D. The care needs of community-dwelling seniors suffering from advanced Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. Canadian Journal of Aging. 2008;27(4):331-346.
- Goodridge D, Lawson J, Duggleby W, Marciniuk D, Rennie D, Stang MR. Health care utilization of patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and lung cancer in the last twelve months of life. Respiratory Medicine. 2008;6:885-891.
- Goodridge D, Duggleby W, Gjevre J, Rennie D. Caring for critically ill patients with COPD at the end of life: A qualitative study. Intensive and Critical Care Nursing: 2008;24:162-170.
- Goodridge D. COPD as a life-limiting illness: Implications for advanced practice nurses. Topics in Advanced Practice Nursing ejournal. 2007;6(4).
- Comment: doi: 1186/547-07-3321
- Goodridge D, Trepman E, Sloan J, Guse L, Strain L, McIntyre J, Embil J. Quality of life of adults with unhealed and healed diabetic foot ulcers. Foot and Ankle International. 2006;27:276-282.
- Goodridge D. People with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease at the end of life: a review of the literature. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2006;12(8):390-396.
- Goodridge D, Trepman E, Embil JM. Health-related quality of life (HRQL) in diabetic patients with foot ulcers. Journal of Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing. 2005;32:368-377.
- Goodridge D, Bond J, Cameron C, McKean E. End-of-life care in a nursing home: A study of family, nurse and health care aide perspectives. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2005;11:170-177.
- Goodridge D, Marr H. Factors associated with falls in an inpatient palliative care unit: An exploratory study. International Journal of Palliative Nursing. 2002;8:548-556.
- Goodridge D, Biglow P, LeDoyen Y, Hordienko G. Staff knowledge about pressure ulcer prevention: Results of a multi-site study. Canadian Association of Enterostomal Therapy Journal. 1998;17:7-16.
- Goodridge D, Sloan J, LeDoyen Y, MacKenzie J, Knight W. Risk assessment scores, prevention strategies and the incidence of pressure ulcers in older adults. Canadian Journal of Nursing Research. 1998;30:23-44.
- Goodridge D, Johnston P, Thomson M. The impact of a nursing assistant training program on job performance, attitudes and relation-ships with residents. Educational Gerontology. 1997;23:37-53.
- Goodridge D, Laurila B. Outcomes of a transfer assessment program: Impact on staff injuries. Canadian Nurse. 1997;97:14-18.
- Goodridge D, Wierucka D. Vulnerable in a safe place: Institutional elder abuse. Canadian Journal of Nursing Administration. 1996;9:82-104.
- Goodridge D, Johnston P, Thomson M. Conflict and aggression in the work environment of nursing assistants: Implications for elder abuse. Journal of Elder Abuse and Neglect. 1996;8:49-68.
- Goodridge D, Hack B. Assessing the congruence of nursing models with organizational culture: A quality improvement perspective. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 1996;10:28-35.
- Goodridge D. Pressure ulcer risk assessment tools. Journal of Gerontological Nursing. 1993;19:23-27.