- Food systems and food security
- Nutritional health inequities
- Community-based and participatory research
- Health promotion
- School food programs
BSc (Biomedical Sciences)
Board of Directors, Community-University Institute for Social Research
Co-Lead, School Food Working Group of the Canadian Association for Food Studies
Co-Managing Editor, Canadian Food Studies Journal
Chair, Board of Directors, Saskatoon Food Council
2015 Canadian Food Hero, Slow Food Canada
Alumni of Influence Award, College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan (2014)
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Meadow Lake Tribal Council (Collaborator), Saskatoon Public Schools (Collaborator), Canadian Feed The Children (Collaborator), CHEP Good Food Inc (Collaborator). Exploring Universal School Lunch Program Models and Practices, Public Health Agency of Canada.
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Food Secure Canada (Collaborator). Examining Canadian School Food Models to Inform Decision-Making for a Universal and Nationally-Harmonized School Food Program Internship, MITACS.
- Muhajarine N (Principal Investigator), Dyck E (Principal Investigator), Adeyinka D (Co-Investigator), Buhler S (Co-Investigator), Clifford J (Co-Investigator), Dixon J (Co-Investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-Investigator), Findlay I (Co-Investigator), Jeffery B (Co-Investigator), Macleod J (Co-Investigator), McCutcheon J (Co-Investigator), McIntosh T (Co-Investigator), Mela M (Co-Investigator), Novotna G (Co-Investigator), Novik N (Co-Investigator), Peoples A (Co-Investigator), Usiskin L (Co-Investigator). Data and Equity Needed to Drive Post-Pandemic Recovery in Canada: a Saskatchewan Contribution, Canadian Institutes for Health Research.
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Examining Canadian School Food Models to Inform Decision-Making for a Universal and Nationally-Harmonized School Program, College of Medicine Bridge Funding and College of Medicine Research Award, University of Saskatchewan.
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Muhajarine N (Co-investigator), Martin W (Co-investigator), Mousavi S (Co-investigator), Vatanparast H (Co-investigator), McVittie J (Co-investigator), Black J (Co-investigator), Kirk S (Co-investigator), Gilliland J (Co-investigator), Wittman H (Co-investigator). Improving School Food: Universal Integrated Healthy Lunch Intervention Research, Canadian Institutes for Health Research.
- Muhajarine N (Co-principal Investigator), Gauvin L (Co-principal Investigator), Raynault M (Co-principal Investigator), Masse R (Co-investigator), Daly P (Co-investigator), Neudorf C (Co-investigator), Barnett T (Co-investigator), Bilodeau A (Co-investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-investigator), Fuller D (Co-investigator), Laurin I (Co-investigator), Morency P (Co-investigator), Potvin L (Co-investigator), Robitaille É (Co-investigator), Sandhu J (Co-investigator), Sari N (Co-investigator), Stanton-Jean M (Co-investigator), Winters M (Co-investigator), Lu J (Co-investigator), Benoit F (Co-investigator), Deny C (Co-investigator), Falkner V (Co-investigator), Paquin S (Co-investigator), Lysyshyn J (Co-investigator), Macfarlane R (Co-investigator), Drouin L (Co-investigator). MUSE: Multisectoral Urban Systems for health and Equity in Canadian cities /Multisectorielles et Urbaines : approches pour la Santé et l’Equité dans les villes canadiennes, This is a team grant application co-led by Lise Gauvin and Nazeem Muhajarine, engaging chief MHOs and researchers from four cities: Montreal, Toronto, Saskatoon, and Vancouver. CIHR.
CHEP 802 – Community and Population Health Research Methods
CHEP 815 – Food Systems and Community Health
- Coulas, M.E. Ruetz, A.T. Ismail, M.R. Goodridge, L. Stutz, S. Engler-Stringer, R. (2022). COVID-19 School Re-Opening Plans: Rolling Back School Food Programming in Canada? Frontiers in Communication.
- Everitt, T. Engler-Stringer, R. Martin, W. Ward, S. (2022). Proposing a Framework for School Food Program Evaluation in Canada. Canadian Food Studies Journal.
- Engler-Stringer, R. Black, J. Muhajarine, N. Martin, W. Gilliland, J. McVittie, J. Kirk, S.L Wittman, H. Elliott, S. Tu, S. Mousavi, A. Hills, B. Androsoff, G. Field, D. MacDonald, B. Belt, C. Vatanparast, H. (2021). The Good Food For Learning Universal Curriculum-Integrated Healthy School Lunch Intervention: A Two-Year Matched Control Pre/Post and Case Study. Journal of Medical Internet Research.
- Engler-Stringer R. Mosby I. Kirk S.L. (2021). Meeting the Recommendations Outlined in Canada’s New Food Guide Through a National School Food Program. In: Critical Perspectives in Food Studies: Oxford University Press
- Kouri L, Engler-Stringer R, Thomson T, Wood M. Food Justice in the Inner City: Reflections from a Program of Public Health Nutrition Research in Saskatchewan. In: Settee P, Shukla S, editors. Indigenous Food Systems: Concepts, Cases and Conversations. 2020.
- Ermine R. Engler-Stringer R. Farnese P. Abbott G. (2020). Towards Improving Traditional Food Access for Urban Indigenous People. Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit
- Everitt T, Engler-Stringer R, Martin W, Vatanparast H. (2020). Comparing Diet Quality of School Meals Versus Food Brought from Home. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research.
- Everitt T. Engler-Stringer R. Martin W. (2020). Determining Promising Practices for Canadian School Food Programs. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition. September 18: 1-21.
- Hackett P. Abonyi S. Engler-Stringer R. (2020). Revealing Circumstances of Epidemiologic Transition Among Indigenous Peoples: The Case if the Keg River (Alberta) Métis. The Canadian Geographer. August 26: 1-16.
- Engler-Stringer R. Fuller D. Abeykoon H, Olauson, C, Muhajarine, N. (2019). An Examination of Failed Grocery Store Interventions in Former Food Deserts. Health Education and Behavior.
- Hernandez K, Engler-Stringer R, Wittman H, McNicoll S, Kirk S. The Case for a Canadian National School Food Program. Canadian Food Studies. 2018 Sep 30.
- Del Canto S., Engler-Stringer R. (2018). Prohibitive property practices: The impact of restrictive covenants on the built food environment. In: Hinch R, Gray A, editors. A Handbook of Food Crime. University of Bristol 1-9 Old Park Hill: Policy Press; p. Chapter 9.
- Olauson C. Engler-Stringer R. Vatanparast H, Hanoski R. (2017). Student Food Insecurity: Examining Barriers to Higher Education at the University of Saskatchewan. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition.
- M Belanger, L Humbert, H Vatanparast, S Ward, N Muhajarine, A Froehlich Chow, R Engler-Stringer, D Donovan, N Carrier, A Leis. (2017). A multilevel intervention to increase physical activity and improve healthy eating and physical literacy among young children (ages 3-5) attending early childcare centres: the Healthy Start-Départ Santé cluster randomised controlled trial study proto. BMC Public Health. 15:313. Epub 2016 Ap: 313.
- R Engler-Stringer, J Schaefer, T Ridalls, N Muhajarine. (2017). Lessons Learned From a Food Environment Intervention Study: Recruitment and Retention of Participants in Disadvantaged Urban Inner-City Neighborhoods. Health Education and Behavior. Nov 1:10901981177406
- J Gu, G Groot, L Holtslander, R Engler-Stringer. (2017). Understanding Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early Stage Breast Cancer. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology. 11: 1179554917691266.
- H Abeykoon, R Engler-Stringer, N Muhajarine. (2017). Health-Related Outcomes of New Grocery Store Interventions: A Systematic Review. Public Health Nutrition. 20(12): 2236-2248.
- S Ward, M Belanger, H Vatanparast, D Donovan, N Carrier, R Engler-Stringer, A Leis. (2017). Lunch is ready… but not healthy: An analysis of lunches served in childcare centres in two Canadian provinces. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 108(4): e342-e347.
- A Hatala, O Isbister-Bear, S Calvez, K Naytowhow, O Butt, P Downe, R Engler-Stringer. (2017). The Interpersonal Skills of Community-Engaged Scholarship. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship