- Food systems and food security
- Nutritional health inequities
- Community-based and participatory research
- Health promotion
About Dr. Rachel Engler-Stringer
BSc (Biomedical Sciences)
Researcher, Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit
Board of Directors, Community-University Institute for Social Research
Board of Directors, Saskatoon Food Council
2015 Canadian Food Hero, Slow Food Canada
Alumni of Influence Award, College of Pharmacy and Nutrition, University of Saskatchewan (2014)
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Muhajarine N (Co-investigator), Vatanparast H (Co-investigator), Martin W (Co-investigator). Good Food for Learning: An Examination of the Current State of School Food in the Saskatoon Region, College of Medicine Research Award.
- Martin W (Principal Investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-investigator), Petrucka P (Co-investigator), Micheels E (Co-investigator), Wood G (Co-investigator), Davidson D (Co-investigator), Enns G (Collaborator). Concept Mapping to Improve Health through Urban Agriculture, Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation.
- Vatanparast H (Principal Investigator), Leis A (Co-investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-investigator), Belanger M (Co-investigator), Humbert M (Co-investigator), Froehlich Chow A (Co-investigator), Osgood N (Co-investigator), Szafron M (Co-investigator). The Impact of Healthy Start-Départ Santé intervention on improving dietary intake of 3-5 year old children attending childcare centers in Saskatchewan and New Brunswick, Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada
- Henry C (Principal Investigator), Froehlich Chow A (Co-investigator), Shand P (Co-investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-investigator). Starting young: Incorporating local pulses in the menus of Saskatchewan childcare centres, Saskatchewan Pulse Growers
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Abonyi S (Co-investigator). A Critical Examination of Household Food Practices in Saskatoon’s Inner City, Operating Grant Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Stanley K (Co-principal Investigator), Osgood N (Co-investigator), Muhajarine N (Co-investigator), Vatanparast H (Co-investigator). Nutrition Inequity in the Inner City: Using Smartphones to Study Diet and Food Access, Saskatchewan Health Research Foundation.
- Engler-Stringer R (Principal Investigator), Abonyi S (Co-investigator), Loring P (Co-investigator), Muhajarine N (Co-investigator), Settee P (Co-investigator). Changing Inner City Food Environments: Interventions to Address Nutritional Health Inequities, Operating Grant CIHR
- Vatanparast H (Principal Investigator), Engler-Stringer R (Co-investigator), Henry C (Co-investigator), Garcea J (Co-investigator), Moraros J (Co-investigator), White J (Co-investigator), Wong L (Co-investigator), Koc M (Co-investigator), Sheikholeslam R (Co-investigator), Abdollahi Z (Co-investigator), Rashidi A (Co-investigator), Hajifaraji M (Co-investigator). Food Security in Afghan Refugees in Iran and Canada, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada.
CHEP 802 – Community and Population Health Research Methods
CHEP 815 – Food Systems and Community Health
- S Del Canto, R Engler-Stringer. (In Press). Prohibitive property practices: The impact of restrictive covenants on the built food environment. In: Hinch R, Gray A, editors. A Handbook of Food Crime. University of Bristol 1-9 Old Park Hill: Policy Press; p. Chapter 9.
- S Ward, M Belanger, D Donovan, H Vatanparast, N Muhajarine, R Engler-Stringer, A Leis, L Humbert, N Carrier. (2017). Association between childcare educators’ practices and preschoolers’ physical activity and dietary intake: A cross-sectional analysis.BMJ Open. 7(5): e013657.
- C Olauson, R Engler-Stringer, H Vatanparast, R Hanoski. (2017). Student Food Insecurity: Examining Barriers to Higher Education at the University of Saskatchewan. Journal of Hunger and Environmental Nutrition.
- M Belanger, L Humbert, H Vatanparast, S Ward, N Muhajarine, A Froehlich Chow, R Engler-Stringer, D Donovan, N Carrier, A Leis. (2017). A multilevel intervention to increase physical activity and improve healthy eating and physical literacy among young children (ages 3-5) attending early childcare centres: the Healthy Start-Départ Santé cluster randomised controlled trial study proto. BMC Public Health. 15:313. Epub 2016 Ap: 313.
- R Engler-Stringer, J Schaefer, T Ridalls, N Muhajarine. (2017). Lessons Learned From a Food Environment Intervention Study: Recruitment and Retention of Participants in Disadvantaged Urban Inner-City Neighborhoods. Health Education and Behavior. Nov 1:10901981177406
- J Gu, G Groot, L Holtslander, R Engler-Stringer. (2017). Understanding Women’s Choice of Mastectomy Versus Breast Conserving Therapy in Early Stage Breast Cancer. Clinical Medicine Insights: Oncology. 11: 1179554917691266.
- H Abeykoon, R Engler-Stringer, N Muhajarine. (2017). Health-Related Outcomes of New Grocery Store Interventions: A Systematic Review. Public Health Nutrition. 20(12): 2236-2248.
- S Ward, M Belanger, H Vatanparast, D Donovan, N Carrier, R Engler-Stringer, A Leis. (2017). Lunch is ready… but not healthy: An analysis of lunches served in childcare centres in two Canadian provinces. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 108(4): e342-e347.
- A Hatala, O Isbister-Bear, S Calvez, K Naytowhow, O Butt, P Downe, R Engler-Stringer. (2017). The Interpersonal Skills of Community-Engaged Scholarship. Journal of Community Engagement and Scholarship.Le H, Engler-Stringer R, Muahajarine N. Walkable Home Neighbourhood Food Environment and Children’s Overweight and Obesity: Proximity, Density or Price. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016 Jun;107(suppl. 1):s42-s47.
- Minaker L, Black J, Mah C, Engler-Stringer R, Olstad D, Shuh A. Retail Food Environments Research in Canada: a Scoping Review. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016 Jun;107(suppl. 1):s4-s13.
- Fuller D, Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N. Retail Food Environments Research Promising Future with More Work to be Done. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016 Jun;107(suppl. 1):s68-s70.
- Engler-Stringer R, Schaefer J, Ridalls T. An Examination of the Roles Played by Early Adolescent Children in Interactions with their Local Food Environment. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016 Jun;107(suppl. 1):s48-52.
- Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N, Ridalls T, Abonyi S, Vatanparast H, Whiting S, Walker R. The Good Food Junction: A Community-Based Food Intervention to Address Nutritional Health Inequities. Journal of Medical Internet Research: Research Protocols. 2016 Apr 15;5(2):e52. doi:10.2196/resprot.5303.
- Bélanger M, Humbert L, Vatanparast H, Muhajarine N, Froehlich Chow A, Engler-Stringer R, Donovan D, Carrier N, Leis A. A Multilevel Intervention to Increase Physical Activity and Improve Healthy Eating and Physical Literacy Among Young Children Attending Early Childcare Centres: The Healthy Start-Départ Santé Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial Study Protocol. BMC Public Health. 2016 Apr 8;16:313. DOI 10.1186/s12889-016-2973-5.
- Wang J, Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N. Assessing the Consumer Food Environment in Restaurants by Neighbourhood Distress Level across Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2015 Oct 9:1-9.
- Mantyka S, Engler-Stringer R. Engagement of Partners in a Short-Term Collaboration: The Saskatoon Region Food Assessment. The Engaged Scholar. 2015 Sep;1(2):166-186.
- Del Canto S, Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N. Characterizing Saskatoon’s food environment: A neighbourhood-level analysis of in-store fruit and vegetable access. Canadian Journal of Urban Research. 2015 Jul;24(1):ePUB.
- Froelich-Chow A, Humbert L, Leis A, Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N. Supporting Healthy Eating Among Early Years Children: A Pulse Crop Pilot Intervention Study. Journal of Agromedicine. 2015; 20(3), 386-9
- Lotoski L, Engler-Stringer R, Muhajarine N. Cross-sectional analysis of a community-based cooperative grocery store intervention in Saskatoon, Canada. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2015 May;106(3):e147-e153.
- Fuller D, Engler-Stringer R. Examining food purchasing patterns from sales data at a full-service grocery store intervention in a former food desert. Preventive Medicine Reports. 2015 Mar;2:164-169.
- Engler-Stringer R, Le H, Gerrard A, Muhajarine N. The Community and Consumer Food Environment and Diet in Children: A systematic Review. BMC Public Health. 2014 May;14(522). Epub 2014 May 29.
- Engler-Stringer, R. Muhajarine, N. Le. H. Del Canto, S. Ridalls, T. Characterizing the Food Environment in Saskatoon for Families with Children: Research Methods and Descriptive Results. Saskatchewan Population Health and Evaluation Research Unit; 2014
- Engler-Stringer R, Shah T, Muhajarine N, Bell S. Geographic Access to Healthy and Unhealthy Food Sources for Children in Neighbourhoods and from Elementary Schools in a Mid-Sized Canadian City. Journal of Spatial and Spatio-Temporal Epidemiology. 2014 Jul;11(October 2014):23-32. Epub 2014 Jul 19.
- Engler-Stringer R. Food Security. In: Encyclopedia of Quality of Life and Well-Being Research. 1st. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer; 2014. p. 2326-2327.
- Engler-Stringer R. Community Nutrition Practice and Research: Integrating a Food Sovereignty Approach. In: Wittman H, Desmarais AA, Wiebe N, editors. Food Sovereignty in Canada: Creating Just and Sustainable Food Systems. Fernwood Publishing; 2011. p. 134-150.
- Engler-Stringer R. Food and Cooking Skills and Health: An Examination of Literature. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2010;71(3):141.
- Engler-Stringer R, Stringer B, Haines T. Increased Risk of Food Insecurity is Associated with Less Complex Food Preparation in a Group of Young Low-Income Women. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2011;72(3):133.
- Engler-Stringer R. Food selection and preparation practices in a group of young low-income women in Montreal. Appetite. 2011;56(1):118.
- Engler-Stringer R. The Domestic Foodscapes of Young Low-Income Women in Montreal: Cooking Practices in the Context of an Increasingly Processed Food Supply. Health Education and Behavior. 2010;37(2):211.
- Engler-Stringer R, Berenbaum S. Exploring Social Support with Collective Kitchens Members in Three Canadian Cities. Canadian Journal of Community Mental Health. 2007;26(2):91.
- Engler-Stringer R, Berenbaum S. Exploring Food Security in Collective Kitchens in Three Canadian Cities. Qualitative Health Research. 2007;7:75.
- Engler-Stringer R, Berenbaum S. Food and Nutrition-Related Learning in Collective Kitchens in Three Canadian Cities. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2006;67(4):178.
- Engler-Stringer R, Berenbaum S. Collective Kitchens in Canada: A Review of the Literature. Canadian Journal of Dietetic Practice and Research. 2004;66(4):246.