- Statistical Modeling of Longitudinal Data , Complex Surveys data, and Correlated Survival Data.
- Modeling of Missing Observations in Longitudinal Studies.
- Exposures of Interest: Grain Dust, Pesticide
- Diseases of Interest: Respiratory Disease, Cancer
About Dr. Punam Pahwa
Dr. Pahwa is a Professor of Biostatistics in the Department of Community Health and Epidemiology, and Canadian Centre for Health and Safety in Agriculture, University of Saskatchewan. There are two facets of her research: methodology and application. The methodological aspect of her research consists of integrating advanced statistical theories to analyze longitudinal complex health data. This methodological aspect is not only an indispensable component of population health research, but it also helps many health researchers who face challenges in understanding large complex data sets. The applied aspect of her research consists of evaluating health determinants that are associated with chronic conditions, with a special focus on rural occupational and environmental exposures.
Teaching and Supervision:
I currently teach a graduate course CH&EP 805.3 in the Department of CH&EP. I provide guest lecture in CH&EP 802.3- Research Methods. I have taught a special topics course CHEP 898.6 - Analysis of Complex-Survey Datasets.
Since my appointment, I have played an important role as a thesis supervisor and a committee member for many students. Thesis titles of successfully completed degrees under my supervision/co-supervision are given below:
2016 PhD. Surgical management of the primary tumor in advanced colorectal cancer: Should palliative resection of primary tumor be performed?
2014 MSc. A Multilevel Analysis of the Contribution of Individual, Socioeconomic and Geographical Factors on Kindergarten Children’s Developmental Health: A Saskatchewan Province-Wide Study
2012 PhD. Statistical Modeling of Canadian Heart Health Survey and Longitudinal National Population Health Survey. Comparison of multi-level modeling and robust techniques for variance estimation.
2012 PhD. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome: Analysis of Canadian Heart Health Survey Data.
2012 PhD. A Physiotherapy Triage Assessment of Patients Referred to Orthopedic Surgeons for Low Back-related Complaints: Outcomes and Predictors of Success.
2012 PhD. Within-Day Patterns of Pain in Children with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
2011 PhD. Predicting Local Recurrence Following Breast Conserving Therapy for Early Stage Breast Cancer: The Significance of a Narrow (Less Than or Equal to 2MM) Surgical Resection Margin.
2011 MSc. Risk factors for still births in Canadian population.
2007 PhD. Statistical Modeling of complex survey longitudinal asthma data.
2006 PhD. Patterns of Aging in adults with intellectual disabilities.
2006 MSc. Atopy, the Hygiene Hypothesis and TLR4: A Rural Canadian Perspective.
2005 M.Sc. Statistical Model for the transmission of infectious diseases.
2004 M.Sc. The effects of Health Provider errors in ICU patients.
2004 M.Sc. Identifiable injuries among Aboriginals vs. non-aboriginals.
2003 M.Sc. Longitudinal lung function decline in New Grain Workers’.
Publications in the last five years:
- Sharma M, Lawson JA, Kanthan R, Karunanayake C, Hagel L, Rennie D, Dosman JA, Pahwa P; Saskatchewan Rural Cohort Study Group. Factors Associated With the Prevalence of Prostate Cancer in Rural Saskatchewan: The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study. J Rural Health. 2016 Mar;32(2):125-35. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12137
- Rennie DC, Karunanayake CP, Chen Y, Lawson JA, Hagel L, Senthilselvan A, Pahwa P, Dosman JA; Saskatchewan Rural Cohort Study Group. Early farm residency and prevalence of asthma and hay fever in adults. J Asthma. 2016 Feb;53(1):2-10. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2015.1058394
- Setayeshgar S, Whiting SJ, Pahwa P, Vatanparast H. Predicted 10-year risk of cardiovascular disease among Canadian adults using modified Framingham Risk Score in association with dietary intake. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2015 Oct;40(10):1068-74. doi: 10.1139/apnm-2015-0074
- Dyck RF, Karunanayake C, Janzen B, Lawson J, Ramsden VR, Rennie DC, Gardipy PJ, McCallum L, Abonyi S, Dosman JA, Episkenew JA, Pahwa P; First Nations Lung Health Team. Do discrimination, residential school attendance and cultural disruption add to individual-level diabetes risk among Aboriginal people in Canada? BMC Public Health. 2015 Dec 9;15:1222. doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-2551-2
- Karunanayake CP, Albritton W, Rennie DC, Lawson JA, McCallum L, Gardipy PJ, Seeseequasis J, Naytowhow A, Hagel L, McMullin K, Ramsden V, Abonyi S, Episkenew JA, Dosman JA, Pahwa P, Project Research Team. Ear Infection and Its Associated Risk Factors in First Nations and Rural School-Aged Canadian Children.
- Int J Pediatr. 2016;2016:1523897. doi: 10.1155/2016/1523897
- Presutti R, Harris SA, Kachuri L, Spinelli JJ, Pahwa M, Blair A, Zahm SH, Cantor KP, Weisenburger DD, Pahwa P, McLaughlin JR, Dosman JA, Freeman LB. Pesticide exposures and the risk of multiple myeloma in men: An analysis of the North American Pooled Project. Int J Cancer. 2016 Jun 4. doi: 10.1002/ijc.30218
- Ahmed S, Leis A, Chandra-Kanthan S, Fields A, Reeder B, Iqbal N, Haider K, Le D, Pahwa P. Surgical Management of the Primary Tumor in Stage IV Colorectal Cancer: A Confirmatory Retrospective Cohort Study. J Cancer. 2016 Apr 27;7(7):837-45. doi: 10.7150/jca.14717
- Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Rennie DC, Lawson JA, Dosman JA, Pahwa P, The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Group. Prevalence and risk factors of respiratory symptoms in rural population. J Agromedicine. 2015;20(3):310-7. doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2015.1042613.
- Rennie DC, Lawson JA, Karunanayake CP, Pahwa P, Chen Y, Chu L, Dosman JA, The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Group. Farm exposure and atopy in Men and Women: The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study. J Agromedicine. 2015;20(3):302-9. doi: 10.1080/1059924X.2015.1042612.
- Chen Y, Rennie DC, Karunanayake CP, Janzen B, Hagel L, Pickett W, Dyck R, Lawson J, Dosman JA, Pahwa P; Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Group. Income adequacy and education associated with the prevalence of obesity in rural Saskatchewan, Canada. BMC Public Health. 2015 Jul 24;15:700. doi: 10.1186/s12889-015-2006-9.
- Ahmed S, Fields A, Pahwa P, Chandra-Kanthan S, Zaidi A, Le D, Haider K, Reeder B, Leis A. Surgical resection of primary tumor in asymptomatic or minimally symptomatic patients with stage IV colorectal cancer: A Canadian Province Experience.
- Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2015 Jun 6. pii: S1533-0028(15)00066-3. doi: 10.1016/j.clcc.2015.05.008.
- Pahwa P, Abonyi S, Karunanayake C, Rennie DC, Janzen B, Kirychuk S, Lawson JA, Katapally T, McMullin K, Seeseequasis J, Naytowhow A, Hagel L, Dyck RF, Fenton M, Senthilselvan A, Ramsden V, King M, Koehncke N, Marchildon G, McBain L, Smith-Windsor T, Smylie J, Episkenew JA, Dosman JA. A community-based participatory research methodology to address, redress, and reassess disparities in respiratory health among First Nations. BMC Res Notes. 2015 May 16;8(1):199
- Chu L, Rennie D, Cockcroft D, Pahwa P, Dosman J, Hagel L, Karunanayake C, Lawson J. Agreement between Questionnaire Report of Allergy-related Outcomes in School-age Children and Objective Measures of Atopy: The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study. Clin Exp Allergy. 2015 Mar 23. doi: 10.1111/cea.12533
- Ahmed S, Pahwa P, Fields A, Chandra-Kanthan S, Iqbal N, Zaidi A, Reeder B, Plaza FA, Zhu T, Leis A. Predictive Factors of the Use of Systemic Therapy in Stage IV Colorectal Cancer: Who Gets Chemotherapy? Oncology. 2015;88(5):289-97. doi: 10.1159/000368245. Epub 2015 Jan 14
- Janzen B, Karunanayake C, Pahwa P, Dyck R, Rennie D, Lawson J, Pickett W, Bryce R, Hagel L, Zhao G, Dosman J; Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Team. Exploring diversity in socioeconomic inequalities in health among rural dwelling Canadians. J Rural Health. 2015 Apr;31(2):186-98. doi: 10.1111/jrh.12101
- Andreotti G, Birmann BM, Cozen W, De Roos AJ, Chiu BC, Costas L, de Sanjosé S, Moysich K, Camp NJ, Spinelli JJ, Pahwa P, Dosman JA, McLaughlin JR, Boffetta P, Staines A, Weisenburger D, Benhaim-Luzon V, Brennan P, Costantini AS, Miligi L, Campagna M, Nieters A, Becker N, Maynadié M, Foretová L, Zheng T, Tricot G, Milliken K, Krzystan J, Steplowski E, Baris D, Purdue MP. A pooled analysis of cigarette smoking and risk of multiple myeloma from the international multiple myeloma consortium. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2015 Mar;24(3):631-4. doi: 10.1158/1055-9965
- Chu LM, Rennie DC, Cockcroft DW, Pahwa P, Dosman J, Hagel L, Karunanayake C, Pickett W, Lawson JA. Prevalence and determinants of atopy and allergic diseases among school-age children in rural Saskatchewan, Canada. Ann Allergy Asthma Immunol. 2014 Oct;113(4):430-9. doi: 10.1016/j.anai.2014.07.003
- Schmid S, Bryce R, Reeder B, Rana M, Pahwa P, Shoker A, Moser MA. Volatility of serum creatinine relative to tacrolimus levels predicts kidney transplant rejection. Ann Transplant. 2014 Aug 15;19:403-6. doi: 10.12659/AOT.890815
- Ahmed S, Leis A, Fields A, Chandra-Kanthan S, Haider K, Alvi R, Reeder B, Pahwa P. Survival impact of surgical resection of primary tumor in patients with stage IV colorectal cancer: results from a large population-based cohort study. Cancer. 2014 Mar 1;120(5):683-91. doi: 10.1002/cncr.28464.
- Premkumar K, Pahwa P, Banerjee A, Baptiste K, Bhatt H, Lim HJ. Changes in self-directed learning readiness in dental students: a mixed-methods study. Dent Educ. 2014 Jun;78(6):934-43.
- Pahwa M, Beane Freeman L, Spinelli JJ, Blair A, Pahwa P, Dosman JA, McLaughlin JR, Demers PA, Hoar Zahm S, Cantor KP, Weisenburger DD, Harris SA. The North American Pooled Project (NAPP): Pooled analyses of case-control studies of pesticides and agricultural exposures, lymphohematopoietic cancers and sarcoma. Occup Environ Med. 2014;71 Suppl 1:A116. doi: 10.1136/oemed-2014-102362.364.
- Karunanayake CP, Dosman JA, Pahwa P. Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and work in Agriculture: results of a two case-control studies in Saskatchewan, Canada. Indian Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2014, 17(3):114-21. doi: 10.4103/0019-5278.130860.
- Gjevre JA, Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Rennie DC, Lawson J, Hagel L, Dyck R, Dosman JA, and the Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Team. Excessive Daytime Sleepiness amongst Rural Residents in Saskatchewan. Canadian Respiratory Journal 2014..
- Rennie DC, Karunanayake CP, Chen Y, Nakagawa K, Pahwa P, Senthilselvan A, Dosman JA. 2013. CD14 gene variants and their importance for childhood croup, atopy and asthma. Disease Markers 2013; 35 (6): pp. 765-771. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/dm/2013/434920/
- Rebecca J. Barry RJ, William Pickett W, Rennie DC, Dosman JA, Pahwa P, Hagel L, Karunanayake C, Lawson JA. The Role of Farm Operational and Rural Environments as Potential Risk Factors for Pediatric Asthma in Rural Saskatchewan. Pediatric Pulmonology. 2014 Sep;49(9):842-51; DOI: 10.1002/ppul.22903.
- Dyck R, Pahwa P, Hagel L, Lawson J, Rennie D, Dosman J and on behalf of the Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Group. Rates, Risk Factors and Co-morbidities of Diabetes among adults in Rural Saskatchewan: The influence of farm residence and agriculture-related exposures. BMC Public Health 2013, 13:7. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-7.
- Kachuri L, Demers PA, Blair A, Spinelli JJ, Pahwa M, McLaughlin JR, Pahwa P, Dosman JA, Harris SA. Multiple pesticide exposures and the risk of multiple myeloma in Canadian men. Int J Cancer. 2013;133(8):1846-58. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28191.
- Navaranjan G, Hohenadel K, Blair A, Demers PA, Spinelli JJ, Pahwa P, McLaughlin JR, Dosman JA, Ritter L, Harris SA. Exposures to multiple pesticides and the risk of Hodgkin lymphoma in Canadian men. Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Sep;24(9):1661-73. doi: 10.1007/s10552-013-0240-y.
- Premkumar K, Pahwa P, Baptiste K, Banerjee A, Bhatt H, Lim HJ. Does Medical Training Promote or Deter Self-directed Learning?: A Longitudinal Mixed Method Study. Acad Med. 2013 Nov; 88(11):1754-64. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0b013e3182a9262d
- Karunanayake CP, Hagen B, Dosman JA, Pahwa P. Prevalence and Risk Factors of Chronic Bronchitis in a Canadian Population: The Canadian Community Health Survey, 2007-2008. Canadian Respiratory Journal 2013; 20(4): 231-236.
- Konrad S, Hossain A, Senthilselvan A, Dosman JA, Pahwa, P. The prevalence of Chronic Bronchitis in Aboriginal People and its associated factors. Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada; 33(4): 218-225
- Pickett W, Hagel L, Dosman JA; Saskatchewan Farm Injury Study Team*. Safety features on agricultural machines and farm structures in Saskatchewan. J Agromedicine. 2012;17(4):421-4. * Pahwa P – one of the research team member
- Hagel L, Pahwa P, Dosman JA, Pickett W. Economic worry and the presence of safety hazards on farms. Accid Anal Prev. 2013:156-60. doi: 10.1016/j.aap.2013.01.011.
- Lilley R, Day L, Koehncke N, Dosman J, Hagel L, William P; Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study*. The relationship between fatigue-related factors and work-related injuries in the Saskatchewan Farm Injury Cohort Study. Am J Ind Med. 2012 ;55(4):367-75. doi: 10.1002/ajim.22003. * Pahwa P – Research team member
- Dosman JA, Hagel L, Skomro R, Sun X, Day A, Pickett W; Saskatchewan Farm Injury Study Team*. Loud snoring is a risk factor for occupational injury in farmers. Canadian Respiratory Journal. 2013;20(1):42-6. * Pahwa P –Research team member
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Gjevre J, Rennie D, Lawson J, Dosman JA. Prevalence of High Epworth Sleepiness Scale in a Rural Population. Canadian Respiratory Journal 2012; 19(2): e10-e14.
- Kamper-Jørgensen M, Rostgaard K, Glaser SL, Zahm SH, Cozen W, Smedby KE, Sanjosé S, Chang ET, Zheng T, La Vecchia C, Serraino D, Monnereau A, Kane EV, Miligi L, Vineis P, Spinelli JJ, McLaughlin JR, Pahwa P, Dosman JA, Vornanen M, Foretova L, Maynadie M, Staines A, Becker N, Nieters A, Brennan P, Boffetta P, Cocco P, Hjalgrim H. Cigarette smoking and risk of Hodgkin lymphoma and its subtypes: a pooled analysis from the International Lymphoma Epidemiology Consortium (InterLymph). Ann Oncol. 2013, doi:10.1093/annonc/mdt218
- Tupper SM, Rosenberg AM, Pahwa P, Stinson JN. Pain intensity variability and its relationship with quality of life in youths with juvenile idiopathic arthritis.
- Arthritis Care Res., 2013;65(4):563-70. doi: 10.1002/acr.21850.
- Hossain A, Konrad S, Dosman JA, Senthilselvan A, McCrosky J, Pahwa P. The determinants of chronic bronchitis in Aboriginal children and youth. Can Respir J. 2012;19(6):e75-80.
- Staiano AE, Reeder BA, Elliott S, Joffres MR, Pahwa P, Kirkland SA, Paradis G, Katzmarzyk PT. Physical activity level, waist circumference, and mortality.
- Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2012;37(5):1008-13. doi: 10.1139/h2012-058.
- Dyck R, Karunanayake C, Pahwa P, Hagel L, Lawson J, Rennie D, Dosman J and on behalf of the Saskatchewan Rural Health Study Group. Rates, Risk Factors and Co-morbidities of Diabetes among adults in Rural Saskatchewan: The influence of farm residence and agriculture-related exposures. BMC Public Health 2013, 13:7. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-13-7.
- Chilibeck PD, Vatanparast H, Pierson R, Case A, Olatunbosun O, Whiting SJ, Beck TJ, Pahwa P, Biem HJ. Effect of exercise training combined with isoflavone supplementation on bone and lipids in postmenopausal women: a randomized clinical trial. J Bone Miner Res. 2013; 28(4):780-93. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.1815.
- Hossian, A, Reeder B, Pahwa P. The Monte Carlo simulation study to conduct comparison between standard regression and multilevel modeling techniques based on cross-sectional complex survey. Model Assisted Statistical Applications, 2013, 8(1): 1-18
- Chen Y, Rennie DC, Pahwa P, Dosman JA. Pulmonary function in adults with recent and former asthma and the role of sex and atopy. BMC Pulm Med. 2012;12:32. doi: 10.1186/1471-2466-12-32.
- Pickett W, Hagel L, Dosman JA; Saskatchewan Farm Injury Study Team.* Safety features on agricultural machines and farm structures in Saskatchewan. J Agromedicine. 2012;17(4):421-4. * Pahwa P – Research Team member
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Janzen B, Pickett W, Rennie D, Senthilselvan A, Lawson J, Kirychuk S, Dosman JA. The Saskatchewan Rural Health Study: An Application of a Population Health Framework to Understand Respiratory Health Outcomes. BMC Research Notes 2012, 5:400. [http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/5/400]
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Dosman JA. Association between Pulmonary Dysfunction as a Result of Occupational Exposures and Risk of Developing Cancer. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2012; 54(12):1471-1480.
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, Willson PJ, Hagel L, Rennie DC, Lawson JA, Dosman JA. Prevalence of Chronic Bronchitis in Farming and Non-Farming Rural Residents in Saskatchewan. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2012; 54(12):1481-1490.
- Bath B, Pahwa P. A physiotherapy triage assessment service for people with low back disorders: evaluation of short-term outcomes. Patient Related Outcome Measures, 2012 Volume:3 Pages 9 – 19 DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.2147/PROM.S31657
- Pahwa, M., Harris, S.A., Hohenadel, K., McLaughlin, J., Spinelli, J., Pahwa, P., Dosman, J., Blair, A. Pesticide use, immunologic conditions, and risk of non-Hodgkin lymphoma in Canadian men in six provinces. Int J Cancer. 2012. doi: 10.1002/ijc.27522
- Hossain A, Pahwa, P. A Comparison between Standard Regression and Multilevel Modeling Techniques based on Longitudinal Complex Survey. Journal of Statistics and Applications Vol. 5 No.3-4 2010, 243-262
- Karunanayake CP, Rennie DC, Pahwa P, Chen Y, Dosman JA. Relationship between lung function and hypertension among rural Canadians using fractional polynomials. Sri Lankan Journal of Applied Statistics 2011; 12: 39-58. (Special Issue: International Statistics Conference 2011).
- Lilian Thorpe, Punam P, Vernon Bennett, Andrew Kirk, and Josephine Nanson, Clinical Predictors of Mortality in Adults with Intellectual Disabilities with and without Down Syndrome. Current Gerontology and Geriatrics Research, vol. 2012, Article ID 943890, 11 pages, 2012. doi:10.1155/2012/943890
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, Hagel L, Janzen B, Rennie D, Lawson J, Pickett W, Dosman JA. Self- Selection Bias in an Epidemiological Study of Respiratory Health of a Rural Population. Journal of Agromedicine 2012; 17(3): 316-325.
- Karunanayake CP, Spinelli JJ, McLaughlin JR , Dosmn JA, Pahwa P, McDuffie HH, and Cross-Canada Group. Hodgkin’s Lymphoma and Exposure to Pesticides: A Canadian Case-Control Study. Journal of Agromedicine, 2012, 17: 30-39
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Dosman J, Spinelli JJ, McDuffie HH, McLaughlin JR and Cross-Canada Group. Multiple Myeloma and Exposure to Pesticides: A Canadian Case-Control Study. Journal of Agromedicine, 2012, 17: 40-50
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake C, McCrosky J, Thorpe L. Longitudinal trends in mental health among ethnic groups in Canada. Chronic Diseases and Injuries in Canada. 32(3) : 164-176.
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Dosman JA, Spinelli JJ, McLaughlin JR, McDuffie HH and Cross-Canada Group. Soft-Tissue Sarcoma and Pesticides Exposure in Men: Results of a Canadian Case-Control Study. Submitted to Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine. 2011 53(11):1279-86 doi: 10.1097/JOM.0b013e3182307845
- Staiano AE, Reeder B, Elliott S, Joffres M, Pahwa P, Kirkland S, Paradis G, Katzmarzyk PT. Body mass index versus waist circumference as predictors of mortality in Canadian adults. International Journal of Obesity. 2012; 36, 1450-1454
- Katzmarzyk PT, Reeder BA, Elliott S, Joffres MR, Pahwa P, Raine KD, Kirkland SA, Paradis G. Body mass index and risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer and all-cause mortality. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2012;103:147-151.
- Pahwa P, Karunanayake CP, Hagel L, Gjevre J, Rennie D, Lawson J, Dosman JA. Prevalence of High Epworth Sleepiness Scale in a Rural Population. Canadian
- Respiratory Journal. 2012; 19(2):e10-4.
- Karunanayake CP, Rennie DC, Pahwa P, Chen Y, Dosman JA. Predictors of longitudinal respiratory symptoms in a rural population: The Humboldt study. Canadian Respiratory Journal, May/June 2011; Vol. 18(3): 149-153.
- Ghosh S, McLaughlin JR, Spinelli, JJ, Dosman JA, McDuffie HH, Pahwa P. Multiple Myeloma and Occupational Exposures: A Population-Based Case–Control Study. J Occup Environ Med. 2011; 53(6): 641-646