- Political Economy of Global Health: Critical approaches
- Activism and social movements
- Nicaragua: The politics of health and crisis
- Extractivism and community resistance (Latin America)
- Gender and health (including midwifery, gender-based violence, women’s mental health)
- Opioid crises: Socio-economic contexts
- Alternatives: Activist scholarship; Community-based, participatory, and arts-informed research; Transformative pedagogies; Integrated knowledge translation
Books, Chapters in Books, Expository and Review Articles
- 2017 Kaplan-Myrth N, Hanson L, Editors. Much Madness, Divinest Sense: Women's Stories of Mental Health and Health Care. Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia: Pottersfield Press; 2017. 224 pages.
- 2017 Hanson L. The Case of Rancho Grande (Case Study 8). In: Bodini C, editor. Building a Movement for Health– A tool for Health Activists. Cape Town South Africa: People's Health Movement; 2017. https://twha.be/phmmanual. Comment: Online manual in English, French and Spanish
- 2015 Hanson L. Experiences of Creating Internationalized Curricula through Global Health Programs at the University of Saskatchewan. In: Green W, Whitsed C, editors. Critical perspectives on internationalising the curriculum in disciplines: Reflective narrative accounts from Business, Education and Health. 1st ed.. 32, Rotterdam/Boston: Sense Publishing; 2015. https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/global-perspectives-on-higher-education/criticalperspectives-on-internationalising-the-curriculum-indisciplines/. p. 175-189.
- 2012 Cole, D. Hanson, L. Rouleau, K., Pottie, K., Arya, N. (166 pages) Chapter 12: Teaching Global Health Ethics in An Introduction to Global Health Ethics Edited by R. Upshur and A. Pinto. Routledge (Taylor and Francis Group)
- 2010 Kaplan-Mirth N., Hanson, L. & Thille, P.(Eds). Women who care: Women’s stories of health care and caring Pottersfield Press: East Lawrencetown, N.S. (175 pages)
- 2009 Hanson, L., & Johnson, M., Internationalization, Social Transformation and Global Citizenship: An Evaluation of Global Health. In R. Trilokekar, G. Jones and A. Shubert (eds.) Canada’s universities go global. James Lorimer & Co. Ltd.: Toronto. p. 168-193.
- 2018 Hanson L, Cheng J. Production of the global health doctor: Discourses on International medical electives. Community Engaged Scholar. 2018 Apr;4(1):161-180. file:///Users/lorihanson/Downloads/315-719-1- SM%20(1).pdf.
- 2017 Hanson L. From reflexivity to collectivity: Challenging the benevolence narrative in Global Health. Canadian Medical Education Journal. 2017 Apr;8(2):e1-e3. Epub 2017 Apr. http;//www.cmej.ca.
- 2017 Legge D, Shuftan C, Baum F, van de Pas R, Sanders D, Hanson L, McCoy D, Sengupta A. Comment - WHO's Weakness is not technical, but due to lack of accountability. BMJ Global Health. 2017 Jan(Suppl 2):12. Epub 2017 Jan. http://gh.bmj.com/content/2/Suppl_1/i2.
- 2016 Brisbois B, Cole D, Davison C, Di Ruggiero E, Hanson L, Janes C, Larson C, Nixon S, Plamandon K, Stime B. Corporate Sponsorship of global health research: Questions to promote critical thinking about potential funding relationships. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2016;107 No 4-5
- 2014 Hanson, L. McRae, D. Toward Equity in Access to Midwifery in SK: Key Informant Perspectives. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice. In Press.
- 2013 Hanson, L. Mpofu, D. Hopkins, L., Toward Equity in Access to Midwifery: A scan of five Canadian Provinces. Canadian Journal of Midwifery Research and Practice. Aug; 12(1)
- 2012 Hanson, L. Terstappen, V., Bacon, C. Leung, J. Ganem-Cuenca, A. Diaz, R. Meza Rojas, M. Gender, health, and Fairtrade: Insights from a research-action program in Nicaragua. Development in Practice 22: 2. p. 164-179
- 2012 Terstappen, V. Hanson, L. McLaughlin, D. Gender, Health, Labor and inequities: A review of the fair and alternative trade literature. Agriculture and Human Values DOI: 10.1007/s10460-012-9377-7
- 2011 Cole, D. Davidson, C., Hanson, L., Jackson, S., Page, A., Lencuch, R.,& Kakuma, R. Being global in public health practice and research: Complementary competencies are needed. Canadian Journal of Public Health 102:5, p. 394-397.
- 2011 Hanson C. & Hanson L. Unpaid work and social policy: Engaging research with mothers on social assistance Action Research 9:2, June, 2011. p. 179-198. DOI: 10.1177/1476750310388053
- 2010 Hanson, L. Harms, S. & Plamondon, K. Undergraduate International Medical electives: Some Ethical and Pedagogical considerations. Journal of Studies in International Education 15:2. p. 171-185. May 2011. DOI: 10.1177/1028315310365542
- 2010 Hanson, L., Global Citizenship, Global Health, and the Internationalization of Curriculum: A Study of Transformative Potential, Journal of Studies in International Education, 14:8, p. 70-88. DOI: 10.1177/1028315308323207
- 2009 Hanson L. & Terstappen, V. Collaboration on Contentious Issues: Research Partnerships for Gender Equity in Nicaragua’s Fair Trade Coffee Cooperatives. Journal of Agromedicine, 14. p. 105-111.
- 2008 Plamondon, K., Hanson, L., Labonte, R. & Abonyi, S. The Global Fund and Tuberculosis in Nicaragua: Building Sustainable Capacity? Canadian Journal of Public Health, Vol.99, No.4, July/Aug, 2008, p. 355-358.
- 2018 Hanson L, Gomez M. Deciphering the Nicaraguan student uprising // Decifrando el levantamiento estudiantil nicaraguense. NACLA. 2018 Jun 15. Epub 2018 Jun 15. https://nacla.org/news/2018/07/03/deciphering-nicaraguan-student-uprising-descifrando-el-levantamiento-estudiantil.
- 2018 Hanson L, Gomez M. The students of Nicaragua's April uprising. Briarpatch. 2018 Jun 8. Epub 2018 Jun 8. https://briarpatchmagazine.com/blog/view/the-students-of-nicaraguas-april-uprising.
- 2018 Hanson L. Roadblocks and possibilities: The Nicaraguan student insurrection. New Socialist. 2018 Jun 4. Epub 2018 Jun 4. http://newsocialist.org/roadblocks-and-possibilities-the-nicaraguan-student-insurrection/.
- 2018 Hanson L. H εξέγερση στη Νικαράγουα, αιτίες και δυνατότητες- Συνέντευξη με την Lori Hanson [The revolt in Nicaragua, causes and possibilities]. Alterthess. 2018 May 22. Epub 2018 May 22. http://www.alterthess.gr/content/h-exegersi-sti-nikaragoya-aities-kai-dynatotites-synenteyxi-me-tin-lori-hanson.
- 2018 Saunders S, Birn A-E, Brisbois B, Cole D, Hamel P, Kneen J, Mukhopadhyay B. Who will publish eulogies for the victims of Barrick Gold? Briarpatch. 2018 Apr 24. Epub 2018 Apr 24. https://briarpatchmagazine.com/blog/view/who-will-publish-eulogies-for-the-victims-of-barrick-gold.
- 2018 Akhtar F, Schwandt M, Hanson L, Stevens A, Tucker S. Health wanted: Social determinants of health among migrant workers in Saskatchewan Working paper. migrantwork.ca: e-published on website of Migrantwork.ca; 38 p. http://migrantwork.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/Health-Wanted-Working-Paper-May-14-2018.pdf.
- 2017 Hanson L. Miners, activists and struggle in Halkidki. Briarpatch. 2017 Oct 17. Epub 2017 Oct 17. https://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/struggle-in-halkidiki.
- 2017 Hanson L, Hicks J. Austerity and Health: Some Lessons from Around the World; Some Cautions for Saskatchewan. 2017. 12 p. https://saskforward.ca/austerity-health-peoples-healthmovement-canada/.
- 2013 Hanson, L. Netll, Z. Equity in Access to Midwifery: Phase II report (36 pages)
- 2011 Hanson, L. Mpofu, D. Hopkins, L. Friesen, J. Harder, J. Equity in Access to Midwifery: Phase one Outcome report.
- 2011 Research Team (Hanson, L., Mpofu, D., Harder, J.) New Saskatchewan-based research study: Equity and access to midwifery services in the Saskatoon Health Region. Saskatchewan College of Midwives Newsletter 2:2 Spring, 2011
- 2009 Diaz, R., Hanson, L. & Bacon, C. Genero, Salud y Comercio Justo (Report on the first phase: Gender, Health and Fair Trade), ASDENIC, Esteli, Nicaragua. 19 pages.
- 2009 Equipo de Investigacion (Hanson, L. Terstappen, V. Diaz, R. & Bacon C.) Impactos del Comercio Justo en las comunidades cafetereras norteñas. El Comercio 407. Octubre, 2009.
- 2007 Plamondon, K. and Canadian Coalition for Global Health Research (CCGHR) Capacity-Building Task Group (Hanson, L. (co-chair) with Harms, S., Neufeld, V., Nguyen V.K.), Mentorship Modules for Global Health Research. Available at: http://www.ccghr.ca/default.cfm?content=mentorship_modules.
- 2004 Brown, S. & Hanson, L., International Health Orientation Modules, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan. 35 pages plus readings package. Modules include:
1. Module One: Health in a Global Context & Ethics of Study/Work/Travel Abroad
2. Module Two: Development, Globalization and Transformation
3. Module Three: Cultural Awareness & Insurance, Risk Management and Emergency Preparedness
4. Module Four: Trailing Threads, Logistical Concerns and Personal Preparedness
5. Module Five: Coming Home & “So what?”
- 2004 Brown, S. and Hanson, L., International Health Orientation Modules and Facilitator’s Manual, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan.
- 2003 Hanson, L., Connecting Community and Campus: Mid-term Review, CIDA, AUCC and University of Calgary: Mexico, Belize and Calgary, 70 pages.