- Evaluation of multimedia resources for health professionals
- Use of technology in medical teaching/learning
- Educational games
- Curriculum design
- Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM)
- Self-directed learning
- Educational Technology
- Faculty Development
- Social Accountability in medical schools
Current Research Projects
Project title: What are the drivers of social accountability among medical school alumni?
A case study of Christian Medical College, Vellore, India
PhD Candidate: Harini AiyerSynopsis: Social accountability (SA) of health professionals emphasize their role in addressing issues of equity in the population they serve. Therefore, health professional education must focus on instilling SA in health professionals. There is limited literature offering a longitudinal perspective of how students sustain the practice of SA. This project uses a case study approach to explore the perceptions of the alumni of a Christian Medical College (CMC) Vellore regarding the role of their institution in instilling and fostering SA in them. The study will offer a fresh perspective and dimension on how SA is addressed by medical schools. The findings may be adapted by medical schools to understand how their own SA initiatives have been sustained among physicians over the long run
Dr. Kalyani Premkumar MBBS MD MSc (Med Ed) PhD MBA
Professor, Community Health & Epidemiology
Lead, Masters in Education (Health Professions Education) Program, College of Medicine
- MBA Edwards School of Business, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- PhD (Educational Technology), Faculty of Education, University of Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- MSc (Medical Education), Department of Medical Science, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
- MD (Physiology), Department of Physiology, Christian Medical College, University of Madras, Vellore, India
- MBBS, Christian Medical College University of Madras, Vellore, Tamil Nadu, India
- Medical Education Leadership
- WebCT Production Specialist
- Swedish Relaxation Massage
- Medical Simulation
- Provost’s Award for Outstanding Teaching, University of Saskatchewan
- Teaching Excellence Award, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- Certificate of Merit Award, Canadian Association of Medical Education
Selected Faculty Appointments
- Professor, Community Health & Epidemiology, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon 2016-07 to current
- Director (Interim), Faculty Development, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan 2015-07 to 2016-12
- Associate Director, Educational Support &,Development, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan 2007 to 2011-07
- Premkumar K. Anatomy and Physiology; The Massage Connection. 3rd Edition. Baltimore, MD, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011. 677 p. ISBN/ISSN: 9780781759229; http://www.lww.com/products/?53234
- Premkumar K. Pathology A to Z - a Handbook for Massage Therapists. 3rd Edition. Baltimore, MD, USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009. 389 p. ISBN-13: 978-0781747998; http://www.lww.com/Product/9780781747998
- Premkumar K. Medical Terminology - A Beginner’s Guide. 1st. Calgary, Canada: VanPub Books; 2003. 50 p.
- Umaefulam V, Premkumar K. Development of text messages for mobile health education to promote diabetic retinopathy awareness and eye care behavior among Indigenous women. In: Chen H, Fang Q, Zeng D, Wu J, editors. Smart Health. 1. Cham: Springer International Publishing; 2018. p. 107-118.
- Premkumar K, Kendall H. Next Steps and Future Direction. In: Bhyat R, editor. Health Professionals’ Education in the Age of Clinical Information Systems, Mobile Computing and Social Networks. 1. 2017.
- Premkumar K. Mobile Learning in Medicine. Andrew Kitchenham Ed. Models for Interdisciplinary Mobile Learning: Delivering Information to students. I date: January, 2011. In: Mobile Learning in Medicine. IGI Global. Publication; 2011.
- Jennett P, Igras E, Harrison A, Premkumar K. Health Information Technology. It’s Role in Health Care Management - A Regional Case Study. In: Special Series Issue of the International Association of Management Journal. 1996.
Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed)
- Premkumar K, Othman I, Aiyer H. Twelve tips for using ePosters as an active learning strategy. Med Teach. 2021 Oct 24:1-8. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2021.1966402. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 34689694.
- Umaefulam, V., Premkumar, K., (2021). Diabetic Retinopathy Awareness and Eye care Behavior of Indigenous Women in Saskatoon, Canada. International Journal of Circumpolar Health, 80(1): doi: 10.1080/22423982.2021.1878749.
- Angarita-Fonseca, A., Lovo, S., Gomez-Diaz, I. C., Busch, A. J., Hijuelos-Cardenas, M. L., Basualdo, M. L., Premkumar, K & Bidonde, J. (2020). Evaluation of international continuing education on neurorehabilitation for rehabilitation health workers in Honduras: a pretest-posttest design. ResearchSquare. DOI: https://doi.org/10.21203/rs.3.rs-49477/v1
- Premkumar, K., Umaefulam, V. & &, O'Brien J. (2020). Mobile medical simulation for rural anesthesia providers: A feasibility study. Canadian Medical Education Journal, 11:6. e60-e71.doi: 10.36834/cmej.69572.
- Sandars, J., Correia, R., Dankbaar, M., de, Jong P., Goh, PS., Hege, I., Masters, K., Oh, SY., Patel, R., Premkumar, K. & Webb, A. (2020). Twelve tips for rapidly migrating to online learning during the COVID-19 pandemic. MedEdPublish, 3068 https://doi.org/10.15694/mep.2020.000082.1
- Umaefulam, V. & Premkumar, K. (2020). Impact of mobile health in diabetic retinopathy awareness and eye care
- behavior among Indigenous women. mHealth, 6:14 doi: 10.21037/mhealth.2019.12.01. eCollection 2020. <
- Premkumar, K., Satishkumar, S., Pulimood, A., Umaefulam, V., Vinod, E., Samuel, P. & John, T. (2018). Selfdirected learning readiness of Indian medical students: a mixed method study. BMC Medical Education, 18(134) https://doi.org/10.1186/s12909-018-1244-9
- 2017 Premkumar K, Saxena A. Social accountability in medical schools versus corporate social responsibilityin businesses. MedEd Publish. 2017 Jun. http://www.mededpublish.org/manuscripts/1039.
- 2017 Premkumar K, Moshynskyy A, Sakai D, Fong S. Faculty's Perception of Faculty Development. Journal ofFaculty Development. 2017. (in press)
- 2017 Bomfim E, Premkumar K. Complementary and Alternative Medicine in Breast Cancer Survivorship careIdentifying Opportunities and Overcoming Obstacles. Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary &Alternative Medicine. 2017. (in press)
- 2016 Premkumar K, Coupal C. Use of Student Response Systems for Summative Assessments. Creative Education. 2016;7(13). Epub 2016 Aug 7.
- 2015 Premkumar K. Residents: admissions, training and assessment. Canadian Medical Education Journal.2015 Nov;6(2):1-3.
- 2015 Olszynski P, D'Eon M, Renihan P, Premkumar K. Ultrasound during Critical Care Simulation: A Randomized, Crossover Study. Canadian Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2015 Aug 26. Epub 2015 Aug 26.
- 2015 Polreis S, D'Eon M, Trinder K, Premkumar K, Bonnycastle D. Does Targeted Training improve Resident’s Teaching Skills? Journal of Faculty Development. 2015 Jan;29(1):51-58.
- 2014 Morrison D, Premkumar K. Twelve tips for Self-directed learning. International Journal of Self-directed Learning. 11(1). 2014 (accepted July 23)
- 2014 Premkumar K, Pahwa P, Baptiste K, Banerjee A, Bhatt H, Lim HJ. Changes in Self-Directed Learning Readiness During Undergraduate Dentistry Training: A Longitudinal Mixed-Methods Study. Journal of Dental Education. 78(6):934-943.
- 2014 Nayak D, Premkumar K, Supe A. Admission to Undergraduate Medical Schools in India: Current Scenario and The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET). British Medical Journal. 2014 http://student.bmj.com/student/view-article.html?id=sbmj.g2045
- 2014 Cowie N, Bowen A, Kuling S, Premkumar K, Burbridge M & Martel J. Health Quality Improvement using Instructional Communication and Teamwork Videos: An Outcome Study. Creative Education. 5(1): Jan 26, 2014.
- 2014 Schroeder B, Doig J, Premkumar K. The Effects of Massage Therapy on Multiple Sclerosis Patients’ Quality of Life and Leg Function. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/640916.http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2014/640916/
- 2013 Gowan-Moody D, Leis A, Abonyi S, Epstein M, Premkumar K. Research Utilization and Evidence-based Practice among Saskatchewan Massage Therapists. Journal of Complementary & Integrative Medicine. 10(1):1-10. 2013.
- 2013 Premkumar K, Cowie N, Coupal C, Boechler K. Software for Annotating Videos – A Resource to Facilitate Active Learning in the Digital Age. Creative Education. Creative Education Volume 4:7 July 18, 2013
- 2013 Premkumar K, D’Eon M, Bonnycastle D. Medical Teaching Resources for Faculty Developers. MedEdPortal; 2013. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9336.
- 2013 Premkumar K, Pahwa P, Baptiste K, Banerjee A, Bhatt H, Lim HJ. Does Medical Training Promote or Deter Self-directed Learning?: A Longitudinal Mixed Method Study. Academic Medicine. (in press)
- 2012 Cowie N, Premkumar K, Bowen A, Kuling S, Kawchuk J, Rooney M, et al. Teamwork and Communication in Acute Care: A Teaching Resource for Health Practitioners. MedEdPORTAL; 2012. Available from: www.mededportal.org/publication/9109.
- 2011 Premkumar K, Coupal C, Trinder K, Majd Shiva Shayani. Engaging Students with Clickers in a Distributed Environment – Lessons Learned. Medical Science Educator. 2011; 21(4):336-347.
- 2010 Premkumar K, Ross AG, Lowe J, Troy C, Bolster C, Reeder B. Technology-enhanced Learning of Community Health in Undergraduate Medical Education. Canadian Journal of Public Health. 2010; 101(2): 165-170.
- 2010 Woosley J, Premkumar K, Staples E. Medical Solitaire: a Flash-based game facilitating study and review of lecture content. “Cysts and Tumors of the Liver”. MedEdPORTAL; 2010. Available from:
- 2010 Premkumar K, Wong A, Mentoring Principles, Processes, and Strategies for Facilitating Mentoring Relationships at a Distance . MedEdPORTAL; 2010. Available from: http://services.aamc.org/mededportal/servlet/s/segment/mededportal/?subid=3148
- 2010 Premkumar K, Lee P. Gravitational Effects on the Cardiovascular System. MedEdPORTAL; 2009. Available from:
- 2008 Premkumar K, Coupal C. Rules of Engagement – 12 Tips for Successful Use of “Clickers” in the Classroom. Medical Teacher 2008; 30(2): 146-149.
- 2007 Premkumar K. Crossword as a Learning Tool in Anatomy & Physiology Teaching. Medical Teacher
- 2007; 29(5): 513.2005 Premkumar K, Bonnycastle D. Faculty Development Workshop: Games as Active Learning Strategies. Medical Education.
- 2006; 40(11):1129.2005 Premkumar K. Using active learning strategies in your classroom. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology (Supplement) December 2005 – 5 pages
- 2004 Medical Terminology Online – Lessons Learned. Best Practices in E-Learning. November 2004.
http://elearn.ucalgary.ca/showcase/current_newsletter.htm - 4 pages
- 2002 Premkumar K. Facts about Tuberculosis. (Centerfold – i.e. a poster for patient/student education). The Meducator 2002; 2(3) – 4 pages
- 2002 Premkumar K. Facts about Iron Imbalance. (Centerfold – i.e. a poster for patient/student education). The Meducator 2002; 2(2): 34-372002 Premkumar K. Learning Medicine Then and Now (Editorial). The Meducator 2002; 2(2): 3
- 2002 Premkumar K. Bednets Save Lives (Centerfold – i.e. a poster for patient/student education). The Meducator 2002; 2(1): 21-24
- 2002 Premkumar K. Respiromania (Crossword). The Meducator 2002; 2(1): 462002 Premkumar K. Facts about Cholera (Centerfold – i.e. a poster for patient/student education). The Meducator 2002; 2(1): 24
- 2001 Premkumar K. Gastromania (Centerfold – i.e. a poster for patient/student education). The Meducator 2001; 1(3): 42
- 2001 Premkumar K. The Beginning… (Editorial). The Meducator 2001; 1(3): 5
- 2000 Premkumar K, Davison J, Jennett P, Hunter WJ. Development and Validation of an Evaluation Tool for Multimedia Resources in Health Education. Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2000; 425-432
- 1999 Jennett PA, Igras E, Harrison AC, Premkumar K. Health Information Technology, its Role in Healthcare Management: a Regional Case Study. International Journal of Healthcare Technology and Management 1999; 1(Nos1/2): 131-139.
- 1998 Premkumar K, Davison J, Jennett P, Hunter WJ. Development and Validation of an Evaluation Tool for Multimedia Resources in Health Education. International Journal of Medical Informatics 1998; 50:243-250
- 1996 Jennett PA, Premkumar K. Technology-based Dissemination. Canadian Journal of Public Health 1996; 87(2): S34-S39.
[My role was to do the background research and write the article]
- 1996 Premkumar K, Baumber J. A Learning Resources Center: it’s Utilization by Medical Students. Medical Education 1996;30(6): 405-411
- 1996 Jennett P, Watanabe M, Igras E, Premkumar K, Hall W. Telemedicine and Security - Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability. Three Issues to be Addressed - A Canadian Perspective. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics, 1996, 29:286-298.
[My role was to do the background research and write the article]
- 1995 Harasym PH, Mah AF, Mandin H, Premkumar K. The Student Admission to Medicine Program (SAM): First steps towards the paperless processing of medical school admissions. College and University 1995; spring: 4-12.
[My role was to do the background research and write the article]
- 1994 Premkumar K, Walter S. Effects of Short-term Isotonic & Isometric Training on Cardiovascular & Pulmonary Function. Indian Journal of Medical Research 1994;99: 129-132
- 1993 Premkumar K, Walter S. Exercise-induced Bronchial Lability in Normal Men and Women - a Comparison. Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology 1993;37(4):308-312