- Dr. Nassrein Hussein (chair)
- Dr. Erika Penz
- Dr. Rabia Shahid
- Dr. Shravan Nosib
- Dr. Jon Dean
EDI in Medicine
The Department of Medicine EDI (Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion) Committee hosted Dr. Sean Polreis who gave an eye-opening presentation on unconscious bias during May 5, 2021 Grand Rounds. Unconscious Bias: Improving Decision-making, Communication and Relationships was recorded and is available for viewing at your convenience.
Stay tuned for more EDI presentations and workshops being offered throughout the year. In the meantime, for anyone interested in more reading surrounding EDI in medicine, see the below article with their online links.
- Dryden O, Nnorom O. Time to dismantle systemic anti-Black racism in medicine in Canada. CMAJ. 2021;193(2): E55-E57. https://www.cmaj.ca/content/193/2/E55.
- Arora A, Kaur Y, Dossa F, Nisenbaum R, Little D, Baxter NN. Proportion of female speakers at academic medical conferences across multiple specialties and regions. JAMA Netw Open. 2020;3(9):e2018127. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2770877
- Indigenous Health Working Group. Health and health care implications of systemic racism on Indigenous peoples in Canada[fact sheet]. Mississauga (ON): College of Family Physicians of Canada; 2016. Available: cfpc.ca/uploadedFiles/Resources/_PDFs/SystemicRacism_ENG.pdf
- Thomson CC, Riekert KA, Bates CK, et al. Addressing gender inequality in our disciplines: report from the association of pulmonary, critical care, and sleep division chiefs. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2018;15(12):1382-1390. https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/10.1513/AnnalsATS.201804-252AR