About Dr. Erick D. McNair
About Dr. McNair
Originally from Washington, DC, USA, I am a faculty member of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and an Associate Member of the Department of Surgery, Division of Cardiac Surgery. My background is in cardiac pathology and clinical perfusion during cardiac surgery. I am involved in teaching, research, and scholarly activities.
My areas of translational research are the identification of biochemical markers of organ injury following percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), cardiopulmonary bypass-supported cardiac surgery, and neuroendovascular intervention. I am also involved in research related to interprofessional education (IPE) with faculty from the Colleges of Nursing and Dentistry, along with practitioners in the Saskatoon Health Region.
- Biomarkers of acute kidney injury (AKI) in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass supported cardiac surgery
- Vasoactive inotrope score in adults undergoing cardiac surgery
- Comparison of pre-operative platelet function testing techniques and their impact on bleeding in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass assisted surgery
- Role of advanced glycation end products in patents with cerebrovascular disease
- Spurr S. Bally J, McNair E. Prediabetes: An Emerging Public Health Concern in Adolescents. Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, Accepted January 20, 2019.
- Bezaire J (student), Thomson D, McNair E. Recombinant factor VIII measurement in a Hemophilia A patient undergoing cardiopulmonary-bypass supported cardiac surgery. J Extra Corpor Technol., 2018, Sept; 50:170-7
- Pearce C, Islam N (student), Bryce R, McNair E, AGE:RAGE Axis in Coronary Stent Restenosis: a Prospective Study, Int J Angiol 2018; 27(04): 213-222.
- Pearce C, Qureshi M, Prasad K, McNair E, Atherosclerosis and the Hypercholesterolemic AGE-RAGE Axis. International Journal of Angiology, 2016, 25(2):110-6.
- Bally C (student), Qureshi AM, McNair E. Performance Evaluation of the Plateletworks® in the Measurement of Blood Cell Counts as compared to the Beckman Coulter Unicel DXH 800. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2015 Jun; 47(2):113-8.
- Bally C (student), Marcoux J, Thomson D., Gamble J, McNair E. Bivalirudin as an adjunctive anticoagulant to heparin in the treatment of heparin resistance during cardiopulmonary bypass assisted cardiac surgery. Perfusion. 2015, (3):189-99.
- Prasad K, McNair E, Caspar-Bell G, Qureshi A. Vitamin E does not regress hypercholesterolemia-induced oxidative stress in heart. Mol Cell Biochem. 2014 Jun; 391(1-2):211-6
- McNair E, McKay W, Qureshi AM, Rosin M, Gamble J, Dalshaug G, Mycyk T, Prasad K Outcomes and biochemical parameters following cardiac surgery: effects of transfusion of residual blood using centrifugation and multiple-pass hemoconcentration. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2013 Dec; 27(6):1174-80.
- Prasad K, McNair E, Qureshi AM, Casper-Bell G. Vitamin E slows the progression of hypercholesterolemia-induced oxidative stress in heart, liver and kidney. Mol Cell Biochem. 2012 Sep; 368(1-2):181-7.
- McNair E, Wells CR, Qureshi AM, Pearce C, Caspar-Bell G, Prasad K. Inverse Association between Cardiac Troponin-I and Soluble Receptor for Advanced Glycation End Products in Patients with Non-ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction. Int J Angiol. 2011 Mar; 20(1):49-54.
- McNair E, Wells CR, Mabood Qureshi A, Basran R, Pearce C, Orvold J, Devilliers J, Prasad K. Soluble receptors for advanced glycation end products (sRAGE) as a predictor of restenosis following percutaneous coronary intervention. Clin Cardiol. 2010 Nov; 33(11):678-85.
- McNair E, Wells CR, Mabood Qureshi A, Basran R, Pearce C, Orvold J, Devilliers J, Prasad K. Modulation of high sensitivity C-reactive protein by soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products. Mol Cell Biochem. 2010 Aug; 341(1-2):135-8.
- McNair E, Wells CR, Qureshi AM, Basran RS, Pearce C, Orvold J, Devilliers J, Prasad K. Low levels of soluble receptor for advanced glycation end products in non-ST elevation myocardial infarction patients. Int J Angiol. 2009 Winter; 18(4):187-92.
- Marcoux J, Sohn N, McNair E, Rosin M, Smith G, Lim H, Mycyk T. Outcomes comparison of 5 coated cardiopulmonary bypass circuits versus an uncoated control group of patients undergoing cardiac surgery. Perfusion. 24(5): 307-315.
- Marcoux J, Rosin M, McNair E, Smith G, Lim H, Mycyk T. A Comparison of intra-operative cell saving strategies upon immediate post-operative outcomes after cardiopulmonary–assisted cardiac procedures. Perfusion. 2008; 23(3): 157-164.
- McNair E, Rosin M, Smith G, Marcoux J, Mycyk T, Qureshi M. Point of care testing on patients undergoing open-heart surgery with cardiopulmonary bypass. Canadian Journal of Perfusion, 2008; 111:16-25.
- McNair E, Wells C, Qureshi M, Prasad K. Homocysteine and malondialdehyde as predictors of restenosis following percutaneous coronary intervention. International Journal of Angiology, 2006; 15: 69-75.
- Hill A, McNair E, Vinanski R, et al. Blood gas monitoring: current status. Proc Am Acad Cardiovasc Perfusion. 1987; 8: 120-126.