My background is in cardiac pathophysiology, biochemical markers of organ injury, and clinical perfusion during cardiac surgery. I am involved in teaching, research, and administrative activities.
My areas of translational research are:
- Quantification and clinical application of biochemical markers of organ injury following percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI), cardiopulmonary bypass-supported cardiac surgery, and neuroendovascular intervention
- Exploration of various blood conservation methods during cardiopulmonary bypass-supported cardiac surgery
Interprofessional Collaborative Research (Colleges of Nursing and Dentistry)
- Interprofessional education dissemination to nursing students
- Diabetes and hypertension in adolescents.
- The understanding of biochemical markers of acute kidney injury (AKI) in patients undergoing cardiopulmonary bypass supported cardiac surgery.
- The role of biomarkers in cerebrovascular disease and coronary atherothrombotic syndromes.
- The identification of undiagnosed diabetes and hypertension in Saskatchewan adolescents.
- McNair E, Moser M, Mondal P, Sawicki G, Reid D, Khani-Hanjani A. The association of matrix metalloproteins with acute kidney injury
following cardiopulmonary bypass supported cardiac surgery CJKHD. 2021 8: 1–13 DOI: 10.1177/20543581211019640
- Moser M, Schmid S, Sawicka K, Banerjee T, McNair E, Sawicka J, Bil‑Lula I, Sawicki G. Pre‑arrest doxycycline protects donation after circulatory death kidneys. Sci Rep 10, 22272 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-020-79440-6
- McNair E, McKay WP, Mondal PK, Bryce RDT. Transfusion Use and Hemoglobin Levels by Blood Conservation Method after Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Ann Thorac Surg. 2020 Nov;110(5):1520-1526. doi: 10.1016/j.athoracsur.2020.03.029. Epub 2020 Apr 11.
- Spurr S, Bally J, Bullin C, Allan D, McNair E. The prevalence of undiagnosed Prediabetes/type 2 diabetes, prehypertension/hypertension and obesity among ethnic groups of adolescents in Western Canada. BMC Pediatr. 2020 Jan 23;20(1):31. doi: 10.1186/s12887-020-1924-6
- Spurr S. Bally J, McNair E. Prediabetes: An Emerging Public Health Concern in Adolescents. Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism. 2019;2(2):e00060.
- Bezaire J (student), Thomson D, McNair E. Recombinant factor VIII measurement in a Hemophilia A patient undergoing cardiopulmonary-bypass supported cardiac surgery. J Extra Corpor Technol., 2018, Sept; 50:170-7
- Pearce C, Islam N (student), Bryce R, McNair E, AGE:RAGE Axis in Coronary Stent Restenosis: a Prospective Study, Int J Angiol 2018; 27(04): 213-222.
- Pearce C, Qureshi M, Prasad K, McNair E, Atherosclerosis and the Hypercholesterolemic AGE-RAGE Axis. International Journal of Angiology, 2016, 25(2):110-6.
- Bally C (student), Qureshi AM, McNair E. Performance Evaluation of the Plateletworks® in the Measurement of Blood Cell Counts as compared to the Beckman Coulter Unicel DXH 800. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2015 Jun; 47(2):113-8.
- Bally C (student), Marcoux J, Thomson D., Gamble J, McNair E. Bivalirudin as an adjunctive anticoagulant to heparin in the treatment of heparin resistance during cardiopulmonary bypass assisted cardiac surgery. Perfusion. 2015, (3):189-99.
- McNair E, McKay W, Qureshi AM, Rosin M, Gamble J, Dalshaug G, Mycyk T, Prasad K Outcomes and biochemical parameters following cardiac surgery: effects of transfusion of residual blood using centrifugation and multiple-pass hemoconcentration. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2013 Dec; 27(6):1174-80.