- M.D. - University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, 1985
- Rotating Internship - University of Alberta, Edmonton, 1986
- Radiology - University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, 1990
- Angiography and Interventional Radiology Fellowship, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, 1992
I was born in Regina, Saskatchewan and have spent a considerable number of years in Saskatchewan. I received my basic university, medical and radiologic education in Saskatoon with two separate training experiences in Edmonton, as a Rotating Intern, and Ottawa, as an Angiography/Interventional Radiology Fellow.
My family and I have called Saskatoon home now for 20 years. We have three children. We enjoy adventures with our travel trailer and time spent at the lake with family. We have enjoyed the undying support of family and our lives have been greatly enriched through time spent with our extended families in Saskatoon.
In my twenty years in the department I have experienced a wide variety of different roles including Program Director and Department Head. These have been very interesting personal and professional experiences to say the least. I am very proud of the contribution that I and my colleagues have made to the ongoing development of our clinical, teaching and research environment. I feel strongly that we will continue to see forward progress in these endeavors and I look forward to future clinical and academic success for our group.
My teaching and research interests lie in the realm of angiography/interventional imaging. However, I am currently involved in a variety of other research activities. Recently, I have developed an interest in the possibility of establishing a provincial teaching and research infrastructure based upon an expected development of a provincial PACS (picture archive and communication system). Through the generosity of the RUH Foundation we have acquired a substantial grant to facilitate in developing a solution to this challenge. I look forward to seeing progress on this front and in informatics related research and teaching.
Published in 2012:
B Alport, D Horne, B Burbridge. Heterotopic Ossification of the Quadratus Lumborum Muscle. Accepted in the Journal of Radiology Case Reports, November 9, 2012.
James McEachern, MD, Matthew Butcher, MD, FRCPC, Brent Burbridge, MD, FRCPC. Adenoma Malignum Detected on a Trauma CT. Accepted in the Journal of Radiology Case Reports, September 12, 2012.
Alport B, Burbridge B, Lim H, “Bard PowerPICC Solo2 vs. Cook Turbo-Ject: A Tale of Two PICCs”. CARJ 2012;63 (4): 323 – 328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2011.05.002
Stoneham G, Burbridge B, Pinilla J, Gourgaris A, Astrope V, Gordon H. “Pneumoperitoneum Post-Fluoroscopic Percutaneous Gastrojejunostomy Insertion: Computed Tomography and Clinical Evaluation.” CARJ 2012;63 (3): S33 – S36.
Jack A, Burbridge B. The Utilization of Radiology for the Teaching of Anatomy in Canadian Medical Schools. CARJ 2012; 63 (3):160 – 164.
2011 First place, Medicine, Dean’s Summer Student Poster Competition. Kalra N, Pinelle D, Burbridge B. University of Saskatchewan Radiology Courseware: A Digital Imaging Solution for Medical Education.
Poster – Russell J, Burbridge B, Tynan J. “Adult Fingers Visualized on Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Chest X-rays. What You Don’t See.” Presented at the Canadian Association of Radiologists Annual Scientific Meeting, Montreal QC, April 2011.
Poster – B Alport, B Burbridge. “Bard PowerPICC Solo2 vs. Cook Turbo-Ject: A Tale of Two PICCs”. Presented at the Canadian Association of Radiology Meeting, Montreal, QC April, 2011.
- B Alport, D Horne, B Burbridge. Heterotopic Ossification of the Quadratus Lumborum Muscle. Accepted in the Journal of Radiology Case Reports, November 9, 2012.
- J McEachern, M Butcher, B Burbridge. Adenoma Malignum Detected on a Trauma CT. Accepted in the Journal of Radiology Case Reports, September 12, 2012.
- Alport B, Burbridge B, Lim H, “Bard PowerPICC Solo2 vs. Cook Turbo-Ject: A Tale of Two PICCs”. CARJ 2012;63 (4): 323 – 328. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2011.05.002
- Stoneham G, Burbridge B, Pinilla J, Gourgaris A, Astrope V, Gordon H. “Pneumoperitoneum Post-Fluoroscopic Percutaneous Gastrojejunostomy Insertion: Computed Tomography and Clinical Evaluation.” CARJ 2012;63 (3): S33 – S36.
- Jack A, Burbridge B. The Utilization of Radiology for the Teaching of Anatomy in Canadian Medical Schools. CARJ 2012; 63 (3):160 – 164.
- Burbridge B, Stoneham G, Szkup P, Otani T, Kriegler S. Catheter Fracture and Embolization Associated with the Cook Vital Port. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, February 13, 2011. In Press, August 6, 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2012.03.001
- Russell J, Burbridge B, Tynan J, and Duncan M. Adult Fingers Visualized on Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) Chest X-Rays What You Don’t See. In Press August 9, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.carj.2012.04.004,http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.carj.2012.04.004
- Pinelle D, Kalra N, Burbridge B, Malin G. USRC: A New Strategy for Adding Digital Images to the Medical School Curriculum. Published online April 23, 2012 in the Journal of Digital Imaging,http://www.springerlink.com/content/h1g07v807w202525/fulltext.pdf. DOI 10.1007/s10278-012-9473-7
- Burbridge B. The Patient is VRE Positive: What are the Implications for Radiology? Applied Radiology, February 2012: 15 – 18. http://www.appliedradiology.com/Issues/2012/02/Articles/The-patient-is-VRE-positive--What-are-the-implications-for-radiology-.aspx.
- Zhang E, Burbridge B. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus: Implications for the Radiology Department. American Journal of Roentgenology (AJR) November 2011;197:1155 – 1159, DOI:10.2214/AJR.11.6584.
- Burbridge B, "Catheter Fracture and Embolization Related to an Arm Venous Port," Case Reports in Radiology, August 2011. Article ID 763284, 3 pages, 2011. doi:10.1155/2011/763284. http://www.hindawi.com/crim/radiology/2011/763284/
- Sharma A, Burbridge B. “Emergency Embolization of an Actively Bleeding Uterine Artery Pseudoaneurysm Following Dilatation and Curettage of the Uterus”. Case Reports in Radiology, July 2011. Article ID 373482, 4 pages, doi:10.1155/2011/373482 http://www.hindawi.com/crim/radiology/2011/373482/
- Jack A, Burbridge B. “Retrograde Ureteric Stents via an Ileal Conduit”. Case Reports in Radiology, June 2011. Article ID 904017, 3 pages, doi:10.1155/2011/904017.http://www.hindawi.com/journals/crirad/2011/904017/
- M Machnowska, B Burbridge, D Fladeland "Are Pre-test Clinical Probability Algorithms Employed Prior to Obtaining Multi-Detector CT Pulmonary Embolism Studies?" CARJ 2011; 62:107 – 109.
- J Tynan, M Duncan , B Burbridge. Reduction of Adult Fingers Visualized on Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU). CARJ 2009:60;182 – 184.
- B Burbridge. Computed Tomography measurement of gluteal subcutaneous fat thickness in reference to gluteal intramuscular injections. CARJ 2007:58(2);73-75.
- CAR Standard for the Performance of Fluoroscopic Transcervical Fallopian Tube Catheterization. Canadian Association of Radiologists web site for Professional Standards/Guidelines. April 2006, 3 pages.http://www.car.ca/Files/trans_cervix.pdf
- CAR Standard for the Performance of Biliary Intervention. Canadian Association of Radiologists web site for Professional Standards/Guidelines. April 2006, 8 pages. http://www.car.ca/Files/biliary_interventions.pdf
- CAR Standard for the Performance Central Venous Access. Canadian Association of Radiologists web site for Professional Standards/Guidelines. April 2006, 7 pages. http://www.car.ca/Files/central_venous_access.pdf
- B Burbridge. Extraneous Adult Fingers Imaged on PICU Chest x-rays. CARJ 2006:57;269-271.
- B Burbridge, G Stoneham, P Szkup. Percutaneous Subclavian Artery Stent-Graft Following Failed Ultrasound Guided Subclavian Venous Access. BMC Medical Imaging 2006; 6:3.
- B Burbridge, D Douglas, S Kriegler. Chest x-ray ordering related to various clinical scenarios: A survey of Saskatchewan Physicians. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 2005; 56(4):219 – 224.
- B Burbridge, G Matte, A Remedios, 2005. Complex intracranial arterial anatomy in swine is unsuitable for cerebral infarction projects. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, 55(5): 326-329.
- B Burbridge, C Bell. The digital readiness of imaging facilities in Saskatchewan. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 2004, 55(5) 309-311.
- B Torkian, R Kanthan, B Burbridge. Diagnostic pitfalls in fine needle aspiration of a solitary pulmonary nodule: two cases with radio-cyto-histological correlation. BMC Pulmonary Medicine 3:2 (08 Sept 2003).
- B Burbridge , G Stoneham, J Pinilla. Experience with a modified Gray-St. Louis Catheter for percutaneous gastrojejunostomy. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal, 2003: 54(1) 51-55.
- MJ Cumming, AJ Hall, B Burbridge. Psoas muscle hematoma secondary to a ruptured abdominal aortic aneurysm: case report. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 2000;51(5):279-80.
- B Burbridge, E Krieger, G Stoneham. Arm placement of Cook Vital Petite Vein Ports: Results of radiologic placement in 125 patients with malignancies. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 2000;51(3): 163-69.
- E Krieger, B Burbridge. Arm Placement of Vein Ports: A Viable Alternative. Canadian Medical Radiation Technologists Journal 2000; 31:12 - 16.
- B Burbridge, K Wallace, A Rajput. Doppler ultrasonographic examination of the leg veins of patients with Parkinson disease. J Psychiatry Neuroscience 1999;24(4):338-40.
- V Chow, B Burbridge, B Chappell, B Kudel, B Berscheid. Interobserver variability in the measurement of carotid artery stenosis. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1999;50:37 - 40.
- S Kwauk, R Cameron, B Burbridge, R Keith. Traumatic pseudoaneurysm of the hepatic artery following percutaneous liver biopsy and laparoscopic cholecystectomy in a patient with primary biliary cirrhosis. Canadian Journal of Surgery 1998, 41:316 - 320.
- M Partrick, B Burbridge, D Walker. Comparison of digital angiographic images with conventional radiographs for detection of pneumothorax after needle biopsy of lung. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1998, 49:193 – 196.
- T Waslen, K Wallace, B Burbridge, S Kwauk. Pseudoaneurysm secondary to pancreatitis presenting as GI bleeding. Abdominal Imaging 1998, 23:318 – 321.
- D Johnson, D Thomson, T Mycyk, B Burbridge, I Mayers. Respiratory outcomes with early extubation after coronary artery bypass surgery. Journal of Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia 1997, 11:474 – 480.
- T Hurst, D Johnson, B Cujec, D Thompson, T Mycyk, B Burbridge, I Mayers, 1997. Depletion of activated neutrophils by a filter during cardiac valve surgery. Canadian Journal of Anaesthesia 1997, 44:131-139.
- J Radhi, N Hadjis, L Anderson, B Burbridge, K Ali. Retroperitoneal actinomycosis masquerading as inflammatory pseudotumor. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 1997, 32:618-620.
- D Johnson, T Hurst, D Thomson, T Mycyk, B Burbridge, T To, I Mayers. Respiratory function after Cardiac Surgery. Journal of Cardiothoracic & Vascular Anaesthesia 1996, 10(5):571-577.
- B Burbridge, D Walker, S Millward. Incorporation of the Gunther temporary inferior vena cava filter into the caval wall. Journal of Vascular and Interventional Radiology. 1996;7:289-290.
- D Johnson, C Kelm, D Thomson, B Burbridge, I Mayers. The effect of physical therapy on respiratory complications following cardiac valve surgery. Chest 1996; 109:638-644.
- B Burbridge. Outpatient management of drainage devices inserted in Medical Imaging. Saskatchewan Medical Journal, 1996; 7: (1)22-24.
- SF Millward, B Burbridge, N Hartman, D Moher, M Chamberlain. Nephrotoxicity of ioxaglate and ioversol assessed by glomerular filtration rate: a pilot study. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1996;47:24-29.
- R Kanthan, G Goplen, R Griebel, H Miyashata, B Burbridge, J Kalra, A Shuaib. Clinical evaluation of vasospasm in subarachnoid hemorrhage by in vivo microdialysis. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 1995;59:646-647.
- B Burbridge, K Wallace. Imaging of symptomatic carotid stenoses. Saskatchewan Medical Journal. 1995;6:(3) 18-19.
- KA Khan, M Yeung, B Burbridge, CR Wells, A Shuaib. Transcranial doppler signals during cerebral angiography and cardiac catheterization. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease. 1995;5:187-191.
- G Stoneham, B Burbridge, SF Millward. Temporary IVC filters: In vitro comparison with permanent IVC filters. JVIR, 1995;6:731-736 .
- D Johnson, D Thomson, T Mycyk, B Burbridge, I Mayers. Depletion of neutrophils by filter during aortocoronary bypass surgery transiently improves postoperative cardiorespiratory status. Chest 1995; 107:1253-59.
- SF Millward, J Bormanis, B Burbridge, S. Markman, Peterson R. Preliminary clinical experience with the Gunther temporary inferior vena cava filter. JVIR 1994; 5:863-868.
- SF Millward, R Peterson, D Moher, B Lewandowski, B Burbridge, J Aquino, A Formoso. LGM (Vena Tech) Vena Cava Filter: Clinical experience at a single institution. JVIR 1994;5:351-356.
- B Burbridge. Statistical errors in "Computed tomography in the evaluation of the aorta in patients sustaining blunt chest trauma. Letter to the Editor. Journal of Trauma 1994;36:463.
- B Burbridge. Asynchronous Bilateral Epidural Hematomas Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1993;44: 390 - 392 .
- B Burbridge. Incompatibility of Papaverine with various intravascular contrast agents. Letter to the Editor. Radiology 1993; 189: 287.
- SF Millward, B Burbridge, G Luna. Puncturing the pulseless femoral artery: A simple technique that uses palpation of anatomic landmarks. JVIR 1993; 4: 415 - 419.
- B Burbridge. Technical Note. Restoration of the threadless Cope-Cook catheter. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1991; 42:43.
- B Burbridge, G Groot, F Oleniuk, P Barrett, L Taranger. Emergency excretory urography in blunt abdominal trauma. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1991; 42:326-328.
- H Wells, M Hrynchak, B Burbridge. Direct effects of contrast media on rat lungs. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1991; 42:261-264.
- H Irving, B Burbridge. Incompatibility of contrast agents with intravascular medications. Radiology 1989; 173:91-92.
- B Burbridge, SPK Tchang. Computed tomographic evaluation of intracranial metastases from carcinoma of the prostate. Canadian Association of Radiologists Journal 1989; 4:234-238.
- B Burbridge, P Silberberg, M Patel, L Friedman. Miliary pattern in malignant melanoma. Letter to the Editor. SAMJ 1988; 74:86-87.