About Dr. Jason Shin
Jason J. Shin was born in South Korea and grew up in Alberta. After attending medical school at the University of Alberta, he completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of Saskatchewan. During residency, he spent time in Chicago at Rush University Medical Center to gain additional research experience. After residency, he continued to move east to subspecialize in orthopaedic sports medicine at the University of Pittsburgh. He had exposure to treating world class athletes and was fortunate to be able to assist in the coverage of the Penguins hockey team during their Stanley Cup winning season.
With over 30 published original articles and book chapters, some of his works have been recognized with awards by various orthopedic societies including ISAKOS, AAOS, COA, AOSSM, and AANA. He is one of few orthopedic surgeons in Canada that serves as a principal reviewer for the American Journal of Sports Medicine, which is the top impact factor publication in orthopedic surgery.
He works out of FH Wigmore Regional Hospital in Moose Jaw and has special interest in arthroscopic surgery. He is happily married to Grace and together they have two energetic boys who are happy to call Saskatchewan home.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Surgery, College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- 2017 - Clinical Fellow, Division of Sports Medicine, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
- 2016 - Resident Physician, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, University of Saskatchewan
- 2014 - Research Fellow, Division of Sports Medicine and Shoulder Surgery, Midwest Orthopaedics at Rush / Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL, USA
- 2010 - Doctor of Medicine, University of Alberta
- 2008 - Bachelor of Medical Science, University of Alberta
- 2017 - Jan Gillquist Scientific Award - Finalist. Awarded to best scientific research paper presented at 2017 International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine (ISAKOS) Biennial Meeting (Shanghai, China)
- 2016 - J.A. Nutter Award. Awarded to Best Overall Paper presented at 2016 Canadian Orthopedic Resident Association (CORA) Annual Meeting (Quebec City, PQ)
- 2016 - Kirkaldy-Willis Research Award
- 2014 - Awarded to top presentation at 2013, 2014, and 2016 Saskatchewan Orthopaedic
- 2013 - Research Day (Saskatoon, SK)
- 2016 - Award Winning Movies: AAOS 2015 Annual Meeting. Awarded to Top Ten Orthopaedic Video Theater Presentation at 2016 American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Meeting (Orlando, FL)
- 2016 - 1st Place Best Poster Research Award: 2016 Combined Surgery Research Day. Awarded to top poster presentation at 2016 Saskatchewan Department of Surgery Research Day (Saskatoon, SK)
- 2015 - 1st Place Best Presentation Research Award: 2015 Combined Surgery Research Day. Awarded to top presentation at 2015 Saskatchewan Department of Surgery Research Day (Saskatoon, SK)
- 2014 - 1st Place Best Poster Award: AOSSM 2014 Annual Meeting. Awarded to top poster at 2014 American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine (AOSSM) Meeting (Seattle, WA)
- 2014 - Best Paper in Ligament and Biomechanics: ESSKA 2014 Annual Meeting. Awarded to top biomechanical paper at 2014 European Society of Sports Traumatology, Knee Surgery and Arthroscopy (ESSKA) Meeting (Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
- 2014 - Top 10 Feature Poster Presentation: AANA 2014 Meeting. Featured at the 2014 Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Meeting (Hollywood, FL)
- 2008 - Jason Lang Scholarship for Academic Achievement. Awarded for outstanding academic achievement during undergraduate studies (Edmonton, AB)
- 2004, 2005 - Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship. Awarded to students who achieve superior academic achievement - Top 1.5% at University of Alberta (Edmonton, AB)
- 2003, 2005 - Korean Canadian Scholarship. Awarded to Korean-Canadian post-secondary students who achieve superior academic achievement
- 2004 - T5K Undergraduate Leadership Award. Awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional leadership involvement through university and community activities (Edmonton, AB)
- 2003 - University of Alberta Excellence Entrance Scholarship. Awarded to students with high academic standing upon admission (Edmonton, AB)
- 2014 - Arthroscopy Association of North America (AANA) Research Grant Recipient ($12,500)
- 2006, 2007 - Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Summer Student Award
I. Published / In Press
- Shin JJ, de Sa D, Burnham JM, Mauro C. Refractory Pain Following Hip Arthroscopy: Evaluation and Management. In Press J Hip Preservation
- Yanke AB, Urita A, Shin JJ, Cvetanovich G, Moran E, Bach BR, Cole BJ, Inoue N, Verma NN. Topographic Analysis of the Distal Femoral Condyle Articular Cartilage Surface: Adequacy of the Graft from Opposite Condyles of the Same or Different Size for the Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation. In Press Cartilage.
- Mellano CR, Frank RM, Shin JJ, Jain A, Zuke WA, Mascarenhas R, Shewman E, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Verma NN, Forsythe B. Subpectoral Biceps Tenodesis With PEEK Interference Screw: A Biomechanical Analysis of Humeral Fracture Risk. Arthroscopy. 2017 Dec 26. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29287950.
- Judy RP, Shin JJ, McCrum CL, Ayeni OR, Samuelsson K, Musahl V. Level of evidence and authorship trends of clinical studies in knee surgery, sports traumatology, arthroscopy, 1995-2015. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2017 Nov 14. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29138917.
- Sims LA, Shin JJ, Judy RP, Lin A. Arthroscopic soft tissue stabilization: single anterior portal technique. Ann Joint. 2017 Nov 8 2017; 2:64. DOI: 10.21037/aoj.2017.10.07
- Shin JJ, McCrum CL, Mauro CS, Vyas D., Pain Management After Hip Arthroscopy: Systematic Review of Randomized Control Trials and Cohort Studies. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2017 Oct 1. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 29028436.
- Burnham JM, Pfeiffer T, Shin JJ, Herbst E, Fu FF. Bony morphologic factors affecting injury risk, rotatory stability, outcomes, and re-tear rate after anterior cruciate reconstruction. Ann Joint. 2017 Jul 26; 2:44. DOI: 10.21037/aoj.2017.06.11
- Shin JJ, Hamamato JT, Leroux TS, Saccomanno MF, Akshay J, Khair MM, Mellano CR, Shewman EF, Nicolson GP, Romeo AA, Cole BJ, Verma NN. Biomechanical Analysis of Latarjet Screw Fixation: Comparison of Fully Threaded, Partially Threaded, and Cannulated Screws. Arthroscopy. 2017 Jul 5; [ePub ahead of Print] PubMed PMID: 28688826.
- Riff A, Yanke AB, Shin JJ, Verma NN, Romeo AA, Cole BJ. Midterm Results of Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation to the Humeral Head. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2017 Feb 2. [ePub ahead of Print] PubMed PMID: 28162881.
- Mollison S, Shin JJ, Glogau AI, Beavis RC. Postoperatively Rehabilitation After Rotator Cuff Repair: A Web-Based Survey of AOSSM and AANA Members. Orthop J Spots Med. 2017 Jan 30;5(1): 2325967116684775. Doi: 10.1177/2325967116684775. PubMed PMID: 28210654.
- Yanke AB, Shin JJ, Pearson IL, Bach BR Jr., Romeo AA, Cole BJ, Verma NN. Three Dimensional MRI Quantification of Glenoid Bone Loss is Equivalent to 3-Dimensional CT Quantification: Cadaveric Study. Arthroscopy. 2016 Dec 3. Pii: S1058-2746. [ePub ahead of Print] PubMed PMID: 27923707.
- Lukenchuk J, Sims LA, Shin JJ. Variability in Outcome Reporting for Operatively Managed Anterior Glenohumeral Instability: A Systematic Review. Arthroscopy. 2016 Oct 18; pii: S0749-8063(16) 30566-7. PubMed PMMID: 27769608.
- Mellano CR, Shin JJ, Yanke AB, Verma NN. Disorders of the Long Head of the Biceps Tendon. Instructional Course Lecture. 2015 64: 567-76. PubMed PMID: 25745939
- Shin JJ, Mascarenhas R, Patel AV, Yanke AB, Nicholson GP, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, and Verma NN. Clinical Outcomes Following Revision Anterior Shoulder Arthroscopic Capsulolabral Stabilization. Archives of Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgery. 2015 Nov:135(11):1553-9. PubMed PMID: 26198057
- Lee S, Shin JJ, Haro M, Khair M, Riboh JC, Kuhns BD, Bush-Joseph CA, Nho SJ. Fifty Most Cited Articles for Femoroacetabular Impingement and Hip. Front Surg. 2015 Aug 18; 2:41. PubMed PMID: 26347872
- Mellano CR, Virk MS, Shin JJ, Aiyash S, Romeo AA. How to Perform the Perfectly Smooth Acromioplasty for Rotator Cuff Tendinitis, Impingement and Bursitis. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2015 June;16(2):59-62.
- Mellano CR, Khair M, Shin JJ, Warganich T, Romeo AA, Nicholson GP. How to Perform a Distal Clavicle Resection During Rotator Cuff Repair Surgery: Don’t Forget the Top of the Shoulder. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. 2015 June;16(2):63-67.
- Shin JJ, Haro M, Yanke AB, Mascarenhas R, Romeo AA, Cole BJ, Inoue N, Verma NN. Topographic Analysis of the Capitellum and Distal Femoral Condyle: Finding the Best Match for Treating Osteochondral Defects of the Humeral Capitellum. Arthroscopy. 2015 May;31(5):843-9. PubMed PMID: 25636985
- Buchko JZ, Dunlop TG, Shin JJ. Knee Chondrolysis Following Infusion of Bupivacaine with Epinephrine Through an Intra-Articular Pain Pump Catheter Post-Arthroscopic Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015 Feb. 43(2):337-44 PubMed PMID: 25384506 (Corresponding author)
- Frank RM, Shin JJ, Saccomanno MF, Bhatia S, Shewman E, Bach BR Jr, Wang VM, Cole BJ, Provencher MT, Verma NN, Romeo AA. Comparison of Glenohumeral Contact Pressures and Contact Areas After Posterior Glenoid Reconstruction with Iliac Crest or Distal Tibia Osteochondral Allograft. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014 Nov;42(11):2574-82. PubMed PMID: 25193887.
- Saccomanno MF, Shin JJ, Mascarenhas R, Haro M, Verma NN, Cole BJ, Bach Jr BR. Clinical and functional outcomes following anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using cortical button fixation versus transfemoral suspensory fixation: A systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Arthroscopy. 2014 Nov;30(11): 1491-8. PubMed PMID: 25064753.
- Cuddington E, Shin JJ, Frank RM. Female Athlete Triad Screening in Canadian Interuniversity Sport Universities: Analysis of the Pre-participation Evaluation Form. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness. 2014 Nov 6. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 25373471.
- Lee S, Shin JJ, Haro MS, Song SH, Nho SJ. Evaluating the Quality of Internet Information for Femoroacetabular Impingement. Arthroscopy. 2014 Oct;30(10):1372-9. PubMed PMID: 24997746.
- Shin JJ, Saccomanno MF, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Nicholson GP, Verma NN. Pectoralis Major Transfer for Treatment of Irreparable Subscapularis Tear: A Systematic Review. Knee Surgery Sports Traumatology and Arthroscopy. 2014 Aug 22. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PubMed PMID: 25145944.
- Shin JJ, Mellano CR, Cvetanovich G, Frank RM, Cole BJ. Treatment of Glenoid Chondral Defect Using Micronized Allogenic Cartilage Matrix Implantation. Arthroscopy Techniques. 2014 Aug 18; 3(4): e519-22. PubMed PMID: 25264514.
- Abrams GD, Gupta AK, Hussey KE, Tetteh ES, Karas V, Bach BR Jr, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Verma NN. Arthroscopic Repair of Full-Thickness Rotator Cuff Tears With and Without Acromioplasty: Randomized Prospective Trial With 2-Year Follow-up. American Journal of Sports Medicine. 2014 Apr 14;42(6): 1296-1303. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 24733157. (Acknowledgement)
- Yanke AB, Frank RM, Shin, JJ, Verma NN, Nicholson GP, Cole BJ, Romeo AA, Provencher MT. Characterization of Posterior Glenoid Bone Loss. Request for revision with American Journal of Sports Medicine
- Shin JJ, Yanke AB, Verma NN. Articular Cartilage and Subchondral Bone Anatomy and Physiology. Chapter 1. In: Cole BJ, Harris JD, (Eds.), Biologic Knee Reconstruction: A Surgeon’s Guide. SLACK Inc. Thorofare, NJ. 2015.
- Shin JJ, Haro M, Romeo AA, Verma NN. Suprascapular Nerve Decompression. In: Sam W. Wiesel and Mark D. Miller. (Eds.), Operative Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery (2nd ed.). Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Philadelphia, PA. 2015.
- Shin JJ, Sims LA, Yanke AB. Chapter 53. Chondrolysis: Risk Benefit Analysis of “Caine” Local Anesthetics for ACL Reconstruction. Chapter 55. In: Prodromos C, Brown C, Fu FH, (Eds.), The Anterior Cruciate Ligament: Reconstruction and Basic Science. (2nd ed.). Saunders, Elsevier. Philadelphia, PA. 2017.
- Shin JJ, Lesniak B. Return to Play After Shoulder Stabilization. Chapter 26. In: Musahl V, Karlsson J, Krutsch W, Mandelbaum B, Espregueira Mendes J, (Eds.), Return to Play in Football: An Evidence Based Approach. Springer. New York City, NY. In Press.
- Albers M, Shin JJ, Fu F. How can MRI Help with Decision Making. Chapter 21. In: Musahl V, Karlsson J, Krutsch W, Mandelbaum B, Espregueira Mendes J, (Eds.), Return to Play in Football: An Evidence Based Approach. Springer. New York City, NY. In Press.
- Shin JJ, Pauyo T, Lin A. Proximal Biceps Injury: Open vs Arthroscopic Tenodesis. Chapter 7. In: Lesniak B, Fu FH, (Eds.) Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Sports Medicine. (2nd ed.). Wolters Kluwer. In Press.
- Wang J, Shin JJ, Lin A. Arthrscopic Subacromial Decompression. Chapter 14. In: Lesniak B, Fu FH, (Eds.) Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Sports Medicine. (2nd ed.). Wolters Kluwer. In Press.
- Neph A, O’Connell M, Shin JJ, Helm E, Lin A. Chapter 4. Biceps Tendon. In: Onishi K, Fredericson M, Dragoo JL, (Eds.), Tendinopathy: From Basic Science to Clinical Management. Springer. New York City, NY. In Press.
- Shin JJ, Mellano CR, Verma NN. CDS biceps-Disorders of the Long Head of the Biceps. In: Decision Support in MedicineTM: Shoulder and Elbow, edited by Drs. Zuckerman, Strauss, and Oh.
- Sims LA, Shin JJ, Athwal GS, Sauder D. Transscaphoid Perilunate Fracture Dislocation: Overview and Surgical Technique. Orthopaedic Video Theater. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) Retrieved from http://orthoportal.org/emedia/#tab3.