Strength training in rehabilitation, older adults, and general populations
Physiology of exercise and rehabilitation in clinical populations (COPD, chronic diseases, and aging) and athletes
Distribution of muscle oxygenation during exercise
Exercise testing and training methodology
Functional effects of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and clinical anaerobic testing
Functional muscle physiology and rehabilitation
Strength Training in Rehabilitation and Aging, High-intensity Clinical Exercise Training, Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing, Exercise Rehabilitation
- Butcher SJ, Neyedly TJ, Horvey KJ, Benko CR. Do physiological measures predict selected CrossFit benchmark performance? Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015;6:241-247.
- Buckley S, Knapp K, Lackie A, Lewry C, Horvey K, Benko C, Trinh J, Butcher S. Multimodal high-intensity interval training increases muscle function and metabolic performance in females. 2015;40(11):1157-62.
- Butcher S, Judd T, Benko C, Horvey K, Pshyk A. Relative intensity of two types of CrossFit exercise: acute circuit and high-intensity interval exercise. Journal of Fitness Research. 2015 Aug;4(2):3-15.
- Arnold C, Lanovaz J, Oates A, Craven B, Butcher S. The Effect of Adding Core Stability Training to a Standard Balance Exercise Program on Sit to Stand Performance in Older Adults: A Pilot Study. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2015 Jan;23:95-102.
- Butcher S, Yurach M, Heynen N, Pikaluk B, Horvey K, Clemens R, Marciniuk D. The physiologic effects of an acute bout of supramaximal high-intensity interval training compared with a continuous exercise bout in patents with COPD. Journal of Respiratory Medicine. 2013 Oct;Article ID 879695.
- Butcher S, Pikaluk B, Chura R, Walkner M, Farthing J, Marciniuk D. Associations between Isokinetic Muscle Strength, High-Level Functional Performance, and Physiological Parameters in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2012: 7:537-542
- Butcher SJ, Lagerquist O, Petersen SR, Marciniuk DD, Collins DF, Jones RL. Relationship between ventilatory constraint and muscle fatigue during exercise in COPD. Eur Respir J. 2009:33;763-770.
- Butcher SJ, Jones RL. The impact of exercise training intensity on change in physiological function in patients with COPD. Sports Med. 2006:36(4);307-325
- Butcher SJ, Meshke JM, Sheppard MS. Reductions in functional balance, coordination, and mobility in patients with stable COPD. J Cardiopulmonary Rehab. 2004:24;274-280