- Cannabinoid research
- Neurodegenerative and neurometabolic disorders of childhood
About Dr. Richard Huntsman
|Please note: the above email address is not for patient use. If you need to contact Dr. Huntsman's office regarding yourself or a family member you can call his office at (306) 844-1236.
If the matter is urgent please visit your local emergency department.
After completing medical school and a pediatric residency at Memorial University of Newfoundland, Dr. Huntsman completed a 3 year fellowship in pediatric neurology at the University of Alberta. Although his practice encompasses the full spectrum of pediatric neurology, his areas of special interest include the use of medical cannabis for pediatric neurological diseases and the study of pediatric neuro-degenerative and neuro-metabolic diseases. Currently Dr. Huntsman is a lead investigator of the Cannabidiol in Children with Refractory Epileptic Encephalopathy (CARE-E) study and he is a founding member of the Cannabinoid Research Initiative of Saskatchewan (CRIS).
June 2014- Clinical teacher of the Year
College of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan
- Clinical trials looking at cannabis in pediatric neurological disease
- Neuro-degenerative and neuro-metabolic disorders of childhood
- Huntsman R, Lemire E, Norton J, Dzus A, Blakely P, Hasal S. The differential Diagnosis of Spastic Diplegia, Arch Dis Child. 2015;100:500-4.
- Ross AG, McManus DP, Farrar J, Huntsman RJ, Gray DJ, Li YS. Neuroschistosomiasis. J Neurol. 2012; 259 (1):22-32.
- Huntsman RJ, Lemire EG, Voll C, Wiebe S, Lowry NJ. Neuroimaging and Neurophysiology Studies in Carriers of Cree Leukoencephalopathy. Can J Neurol Sci 2011;38(2):347-348
- Seshia SS, Huntsman RJ, Lowry NJ, Seshia M, Yager JY, Sankaran K. Neonatal Seizures: diagnosis and management. Chinese Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics (Zhangou Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi) 2011; 13 (2):81-100
- Huntsman RJ, Lowry NJ, Sankaran K. Non Epileptic Motor Phenomena in the Neonate. Chinese Journal of Contemporary Pediatrics (Zhangou Dang Dai Er Ke Za Zhi) 2010;12 (9):681-689
- Harder, S, Gourgaris A, Frangou E, Hopp K, Huntsman R.J, Lowry N, Seshia S, Lemire E, Robinson C. Clinical and Neuroimaging Findings of Cree Leukodystrophy: A retrospective Case Series. AJNR. 2010;31(8)18-23
- Huntsman R.J, Lemire E.G, Dunham C.P. Hypotonia and Infantile Spasms: a new phenotype of Coenzyme Q10 deficiency? Can J Neurol Sci. 2009;36:105-108
- Huntsman RJ, Lowry NJ, Sankaran K. Non Epileptic Motor Phenomena in the Neonate. Paediatrics and Child Health. 2008;13:680-684
- Huntsman R.J, Seshia S, Lowry N, Lemire EG, Harder SL. Peripheral neuropathy In a child with Cree Leukodystrophy. J Child Neurol. 2007; 22:766-768
- (2017) Dr. Darrell Mousseau Dr. Richard Tang-Wai Dr. Jane Alcorn. Medical Marijuana Research in Saskatchewan: From CARE-E to CRIS. University of Saskatchewan Dept. of Pediatrics Grand Rounds,
- (2016). Seizures in Children. University of Saskatchewan Pediatrics, Obstetrics and Gynecology (POGO) Conference, Regina, Canada
- (2014). Cree Leukodystrophy. University of British Columbia Medical Biochemical Genetics Grand Rounds, Vancouver, Canada
- (2014). A child with super refractory status epilepticus. Western Canadian Epilepsy Meeting, Banff, Canada
- (2013). Febrile Seizures. University of Saskatchewan Epilepsy Symposium, Saskatoon, Canada
- (2012). Cree Leukodystrophy. Canadian Association of Medical Genetics/ Canadian Association of Genetic Councillors Annual Meeting, Saskatoon, Canada
- (2012). Benign Occipital Epilepsy of Childhood:Not always what it seems.Western Canadian Epilepsy Meeting, Banff, Canada