Dr. Haddad received his B.Sc. from Tichreen University in Syria in 1980 and graduated from Medical School at Tichreen University in 1983.
Following a family medicine practice in Syria, Dr. Haddad immigrated to Canada and trained in Internal Medicine at Dalhousie University and successfully completed his Cardiology training at the University of Alberta.
In July 1997, Dr. Haddad joined the Division of Cardiology, Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre, Dalhousie University in Halifax, Nova Scotia and was Medical Director of the Heart Transplant Program and Director of the Cardiac Rehabilitation Program.
In September 2001, Dr. Haddad joined the University of Ottawa Heart Institute; he is professor of Medicine, Division of Cardiology and was the Director of the Heart Failure Program, and Medical Director of Heart Transplant Program from2001 to 2014.
Dr. Haddad is also an Adjunct Professor in the Department of Systems and Computer Engineering at Carleton University in Ottawa 2003-2016
Dr. Haddad was a member of the Panel of the Canadian Cardiovascular Society’s consensus conferences on the management of heart failure (2001-2016), on heart transplantation in adults (2003) and on heart transplantation in pediatrics (2005). He also chaired the Society’s consensus conference for heart transplant in 2008.
Dr Haddad has earned numerous prestigious awards, namely the Anemia Institute for Research and Education Award in 2005, and the 1st Award Prize in the International Competition of the American College of Physicians in 2000.
Dr. Haddad was elected as Chair of the Board of Directors to the Canadian Heart Failure Society in April 2015
Most recently moved to Saskatchewan where he is The Unified Head of Medicine, University of Saskatchewan and Saskatoon Health Region.
- July 1996 - June 1997 - Cardiology Chief Resident, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- July 1995 - June 1996 - Cardiology Resident, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- July 1992 - June 1995 - Internal Medicine Resident, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia
- July 1991 - June 1992 - Rotating Internship, Dalhousie University, Halifax, NS
- December 1983 - M.D. - Tichreen University, Syria
- June 1980 - B.Sc. - Tichreen University, Syria
Peer Reviewed: 112
Non Peer Reviewed: 9
Selected Peer Reviewed Publications
- Heart failure and sleep-disordered breathing. Zhai AB, Yip A, Haddad H. Current Opinion in Cardiology 2016 Jan 12. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 26766163
- Heart rate and heart failure. Yip AM, Zhai AB, Haddad H. Current Opinion in Cardiology 2015 Dec 30. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:26720333
- Comparison of Transesophageal and Transthoracic Echocardiographic Measurements of Mechanism and Severity of Mitral Regurgitation in Ischemic Cardiomyopathy (from the Surgical Treatment of Ischemic Heart Failure Trial). Grayburn PA, She L, Roberts BJ, Golba KS, Mokrzycki K, Drozdz J, Cherniavsky A, Przybylski R, Wrobel K, Asch FM, Holly TA, Haddad H, Yii M, Maurer G, Kron I, Schaff H, Velazquez EJ, Oh JK. American Journal of Cardiology 2015 Sep 15;116(6):913-8.doi:0.1016/j.amjcard.2015.06.015. Epub 2015 Jun 25. PMID:26170249
- Effects of Xanthine Oxidase Inhibition in Hyperuricemic Heart Failure Patients: The Xanthine Oxidase Inhibition for Hyperuricemic Heart Failure Patients (EXACT-HF) Study. Givertz MM, Anstrom KJ, Redfield MM, Deswal A, Haddad H, Butler J, Tang WH, Dunlap ME, LeWinter MM, Mann DL, Felker GM, O'Connor CM, Goldsmith SR, Ofili EO, Saltzberg MT, Margulies KB, Cappola TP, Konstam MA, Semigran MJ, McNulty SE, Lee KL, Shah MR, Hernandez AF; NHLBI Heart Failure Clinical Research Network. Circulation. 2015 May 19;131(20):1763-71.
- Heart rate control in patients with left ventricular systolic dysfunction and heart failure. Pourdjabbar A, Dwivedi G, Haddad R, Saikali A, Mielniczuk L, Haddad H. International Journal of J Cardiology 2015 Feb 24;184C:276-277. PMID: 25731835
- Anticoagulation strategies for left ventricular assist devices. Toeg H, Ruel M, Haddad H. Current Opinion of Cardiology 2015 Jan 8. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 25574893
- The 2014 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Heart Failure Management Guidelines Focus Update: anemia, biomarkers, and recent therapeutic trial implications. Moe GW, Ezekowitz JA, O'Meara E, Lepage S, Howlett JG, Fremes S, Al-Hesayen A, Heckman GA, Abrams H, Ducharme A, Estrella-Holder E, Grzeslo A, Harkness K, Koshman SL, McDonald M, McKelvie R, Rajda M, Rao V, Swiggum E, Virani S, Zieroth S, Arnold JM, Ashton T, D'Astous M, Chan M, De S, Dorian P, Giannetti N, Haddad H, Isaac DL, Kouz S, Leblanc MH, Liu P, Ross HJ, Sussex B, White M; Canadian Cardiovascular Society. Canadian Journal of Cardiology 2015 Jan;31(1):3-16. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2014.10.022. Epub 2014 Dec 19. PMID: 25532421
- Left ventricular assist device in the management of refractory electrical storm. Pourdjabbar A, Maze R, Hibbert B, Ruel M, Haddad H. Perfusion. 2014 Aug 8. pii: 0267659114546033.
- The Prognostic Value of Rb-82 Positron Emission Tomography in Patients Following Heart Transplant. Mc Ardle BA, Davies RA, Chen L, Small GR, Ruddy TD, Dwivedi G, Yam Y, Haddad H, Mielniczuk LM, Stadnick E, Hessian R, Guo A, Beanlands RS, deKemp RA, Chow BJ. Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2014 Sep 2. pii: CIRCIMAGING.114.002184.
- Myocardial viability and impact of surgical ventricular reconstruction on outcomes of patients with severe left ventricular dysfunction undergoing coronary artery bypass surgery: Results of the Surgical Treatment for Ischemic Heart Failure trial. Holly TA, Bonow RO, Arnold JM, Oh JK, Varadarajan P, Pohost GM, Haddad H, Jones RH, Velazquez EJ, Birkenfeld B, Asch FM, Malinowski M, Barretto R, Kalil RA, Berman DS, Sun JL, Lee KL, Panza JA. Journal of Thoracic Cardiovascular Surgery 2014 Jul 30. pii: S0022-5223(14)00983-0. doi: 10.1016/j.jtcvs.2014.0.090.
- Effects of short-term continuous positive airway pressure on myocardial sympathetic nerve function and energetics in patients with heart failure and obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized study. Hall AB, Ziadi MC, Leech JA, Chen SY, Burwash IG, Renaud J, deKemp RA, Haddad H, Mielniczuk LM, Yoshinaga K, Guo A, Chen L, Walter O, Garrard L, DaSilva JN, Floras JS, Beanlands RS. Circulation. 2014 Sep 9;130(11):892-901. doi: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.113.005893.
- Report from a consensus conference on primary graft dysfunction after cardiac transplantation. Kobashigawa J, Zuckermann A, Macdonald P, Leprince P, Esmailian F, Luu M, Mancini D, Patel J, Razi R, Reichenspurner H, Russell S, Segovia J, Smedira N, Stehlik J, Wagner F; Conference participants. Journal of Heart Lung Transplant. 2014 Apr;33(4):327-40. doi:10.1016/j.healun.2014.02.027.
- The 2013 Canadian Cardiovascular Society Heart Failure Management Guidelines Update: Focus on Rehabilitation and Exercise and Surgical Coronary Revascularization. Primary Panel:, Moe GW, Ezekowitz JA, O'Meara E, Howlett JG, Fremes SE, Al-Hesayen A, Heckman GA, Ducharme A, Estrella-Holder E, Grzeslo A, Harkness K, Lepage S, McDonald M, McKelvie RS, Nigam A, Rajda M, Rao V, Swiggum E, Virani S, Van Le V, Zieroth S; Secondary Panel:, Arnold JM, Ashton T, D'Astous M, Dorian P, Giannetti N, Haddad H, Isaac DL, Kouz S, Leblanc MH, Liu P, Ross HJ, Sussex B, White M. Canandian Journal of Cardiology 2014 Mar;30(3):249-63. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2013.10.010. Epub 2013 Oct 2013 Oct 19. pii: S0828-282X(13)01576-6. doi: 10.1016/j.cjca.2013.10.010.
- Cardiac signaling molecules and plasma biomarkers after cardiac transplantation: impact of tacrolimus versus cyclosporine. White M, Cantin B, Haddad H, Kobashigawa JA, Ross H, Carrier M, Pflugfelder PW, Isaac D, Cecere R, Whittom L, Ali IS, Wang SH, He Y, Groulx A, Touyz RM. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation. 2013 Dec;32(12):1222-32.
- Mechanisms of functional mitral regurgitation in ischemic cardiomyopathy determined by transesophageal echocardiography (from the Surgical Treatment for Ischemic Heart Failure Trial). Golba K, Mokrzycki K, Drozdz J, Cherniavsky A, Wrobel K, Roberts BJ, Haddad H, Maurer G, Yii M, Asch FM, Handschumacher MD, Holly TA, Przybylski R, Kron I, Schaff H, Aston S, Horton J, Lee KL, Velazquez EJ, Grayburn PA; STICH TEE Substudy Investigators. American Journal of Cardiology 2013 Dec 1;112(11):1812-8. Epub 2013 Sep 13.
- An update in the management of acute decompensated heart failure. Maze R, Haddad H. Current Opinion in Cardiology 2014 Mar;29(2):180-4. doi: 10.1097/HCO.0000000000000038. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cardiac signaling molecules and plasma biomarkers after cardiac transplantation: impact of tacrolimus versus cyclosporine. White M, Cantin B, Haddad H, Kobashigawa JA, Ross H, Carrier M, Pflugfelder PW, Isaac D, Cecere R, Whittom L, Ali IS, Wang SH, He Y, Groulx A, Touyz RM. J Heart Lung Transplant. 2013 Dec;32(12):1222-32. doi: 10.1016/j.healun.2013.09.010.
- Mechanisms of functional mitral regurgitation in ischemic cardiomyopathy determined by transesophageal echocardiography (from the Surgical Treatment for Ischemic Heart Failure Trial). Golba K, Mokrzycki K, Drozdz J, Cherniavsky A, Wrobel K, Roberts BJ, Haddad H, Maurer G, Yii M, Asch FM, Handschumacher MD, Holly TA, Przybylski R, Kron I, Schaff H, Aston S, Horton J, Lee KL, Velazquez EJ, Grayburn PA; STICH TEE Substudy Investigators. American Journal of Cardiology 2013 Dec 1;112(11):1812-8. Epub 2013 Sep.