Finding Joy in work - Institue for Healthcare Improvement course
The CMA has website resources on physician wellness: https://www.cma.ca/physician-health-and-wellness
SMA has resources on physician wellness as well at http://www.sma.sk.ca/programs/3/physician-support-programs.html; http://www.sma.sk.ca/inner/4/living-well-physician-wellness.html
- Calibrating the Physician: Personal Awareness and Effective Patient Care
- Directors Recognize Difficulties in Providing Medical Care to Residents But Few Implement Policies to Address Them
- Parenting during residency: Providing support for Dr Mom and Dr Dad
- Physician wellness: a missing quality indicator
- Rediscovering the joy of family practice
- Recapturing the Soul of Medicine - by Rachel Naomi Remen
- Saskatchewan Physician Health Program (SMA)
- Canadian Medical Association – Physician health
- Family Practice Management – Topic collection on Physician burnout and work-life balance
- Ephysicianhealth.com – a comprehensive, online physician health and wellness resource designed to help physicians and physicians in training to be resilient in their professional and personal lives.
- Canadian Medical Protective Association – Articles on physician wellness
- Ontario Medical Association – Physician Health Program
- CanMEDS Physician health guide - Handbook
- Spiritual wellness resources at USask can found at https://wellness.usask.ca/faithleaders/#Aboutus
Check out the ICE (International Clinician Educators) Blog:
Patty McCord: 8 lessons on building a company people enjoy working for: https://www.ted.com/talks/patty_mccord_8_lessons_on_building_a_company_people_enjoy_working_for?language=en
- The Canadian Government has developed a number of documents on resilience - see General recommendations on fatigue risk management for the Canadian Forces
- University of Saskatchewan Wellness Toolkit for People Leaders
- College of Medicine resident wellness resources - Post-Graduate Medical Education
- FD highly recommends all faculty take the course on the CME site on Indigenous Wellness. This course is offered regularly and you can register through CME.
- Other resources on Indigenous health are at http://www.nccah-ccnsa.ca/34/Publications.nccah
- The Indigenous Physicians of Canada link is http://ipac-amic.org/.
He has a book called “The Impatient Patient – Time and Stress Management for Doctors” available for download at
https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/wellness/documents/doctorontimebook-pdf.pdf I couldn’t find any book called “Doctor on Time”
Mentorship is an important part of faculty development. Mentors may be from the same department, a different department, or at a different medical school or clinical environment. Mentors may support you in your teaching or clinical practice, and you may have a different mentor for different aspects of your personal and professional life.
Why is this important? Need help? Want to learn more? How can I build on this?
Commit to a change/ self reflection/ your learning plan/ get your study credits/ link learning to practice/QI
Rate this page/ Help us improve: What doesn’t work?/ What’s missing?