Finding & Creating Joy in Work - Institue for Healthcare Improvement course
The CMA has website resources on physician wellness: https://www.sma.sk.ca/programs/3/physician-support-programs.html
SMA has resources on physician wellness as well at https://www.sma.sk.ca/inner/4/living-well-physician-wellness.html
- Calibrating the Physician: Personal Awareness and Effective Patient Care
- Directors Recognize Difficulties in Providing Medical Care to Residents But Few Implement Policies to Address Them
- Parenting during residency: Providing support for Dr Mom and Dr Dad
- Physician wellness: a missing quality indicator
- Rediscovering the joy of family practice
- Recapturing the Soul of Medicine - by Rachel Naomi Remen
- Saskatchewan Physician Health Program (SMA)
- Canadian Medical Association – Physician health
- Family Practice Management – Topic collection on Physician burnout and work-life balance
- Ephysicianhealth.com – a comprehensive, online physician health and wellness resource designed to help physicians and physicians in training to be resilient in their professional and personal lives.
- Canadian Medical Protective Association – Articles on physician wellness
- Ontario Medical Association – Physician Health Program
- CanMEDS Physician health guide - Handbook
- Spiritual wellness resources at USask can found at https://wellness.usask.ca/faithleaders/#Aboutus
Check out the ICE (International Clinician Educators) Blog:
Patty McCord: 8 lessons on building a company people enjoy working for: https://www.ted.com/talks/patty_mccord_8_lessons_on_building_a_company_people_enjoy_working_for?language=en
- The Canadian Government has developed a number of documents on resilience - see General recommendations on fatigue risk management for the Canadian Forces
- University of Saskatchewan Wellness Toolkit for People Leaders
- College of Medicine resident wellness resources - Post-Graduate Medical Education
- FD highly recommends all faculty take the course on the CME site on Indigenous Wellness. This course is offered regularly and you can register through CME.
- Other resources on Indigenous health are at http://www.nccah-ccnsa.ca/34/Publications.nccah
- The Indigenous Physicians of Canada link is http://ipac-amic.org/.
He has a book called “The Impatient Patient – Time and Stress Management for Doctors” available for download at
https://fhs.mcmaster.ca/wellness/documents/doctorontimebook-pdf.pdf I couldn’t find any book called “Doctor on Time”
Mentorship is an important part of faculty development. Mentors may be from the same department, a different department, or at a different medical school or clinical environment. Mentors may support you in your teaching or clinical practice, and you may have a different mentor for different aspects of your personal and professional life.
Why is this important?
Wellness is a priority area in the CoM strategic plan particularly related to education. Wellness initiatives exist in UGME, PGME and CME. Provincial and national medical organizations are paying more and more attention to the issues of physician health recognizing the huge impact this has in our education institutions and in our clinical environments.
If you need help with this website or our content, please contact the FD office at email@example.com. If you need help for personal wellness issues, we recommend you get a family physician and can contact the SMA Physician Health program: https://sma.sk.ca/programs/44/physician-health-program.html
Want to learn more?
This is an amazing area with lots going on in each province and nationally. A place to start might be to attend the Canadian Physician Health Conference. Visit the CMA physician wellness page at https://www.cma.ca/physician-health-and-wellness.
How can I build on this?
Find out what is going on in your discipline or training program. Connect with others who are working in this area. Enjoy your involvement in healthy behaviours!
Thinking about your thinking – click on the image above to download and use this template to record “process notes” to reflect on what you want to use or take away from this page. This can be similar to writing a progress note on patient care. Download this pdf and keep it as a record. Write out your comments on what you are learning and come back to this from time to time to see how your thoughts and feelings are changing. Review what you have written and re-comment on how you are applying what you are learning to your day to day practice.
Faculty Development Website Survey
Click the link below to complete a short survey that will assist us in continuous improvement of our website. We sincerely appreciate your feedback here.