Place Riel Student Centre, 4th Floor
University of Saskatchewan
1 Campus Drive Saskatoon, SK
Immunization Requirements for Physical Therapy Students
Please read the following information before making your appointment:
- The University of Saskatchewan requires that all students attending a Health Science College provide documented proof of immunization.
- Completion of these requirements is mandatory and are not subject to accommodations for philosophical reasons.
- Completion of the immunization requirements is the responsibility of the student as well as any associated costs. Most immunizations are covered by your Provincial Health card, with the exception of the Two Step Tuberculin skin test, which will cost $80 payable by debit at your first visit.
- CONSENT: Immunization records and/or serology results will be shared with your College and clinical placements throughout your studies as required – this is to ensure your safety and the safety of your clients. You are required to sign a consent form to authorize sharing of this information.
Review your immunization requirements (see below).
- Locate your childhood and adult immunization records. If you do not have these records, contact your Public Health Unit or Family Doctor. If you are in the Saskatoon Health Region, call the Record line at 306-655-4090. There is a $25.00 charge to get your records. If you are outside of the Saskatoon Health Region, contact your Home Public Health region. Bring a copy of them to your Student Health Services appointment. You will start the two step Tuberculin skin test (TST) at your first visit at Student Health.
- You may choose to see your Family Physician to begin and/or complete your immunization review, but you are still required to have one appointment with Student Health Services to ensure all requirements have been met. If blood work was done for proof of immunity, please bring a copy of the result(s).
- To do your immunization review, call the number at the top of the page and ask to book a 30 minute appointment to see the nurse. Please do this prior to July 31, 2017
- Sign the consent that is attached above and bring it with you to your first appointment.
- Your college requires you to have your immunizations complete and submitted by August 14, 2017 or it may impact your studies and prevent you from clinical practice.
Specific Immunization Requirements
School of Physical Therapy
Tetanus/Diphtheria (Td ):
- Primary series of 3-5 doses, then a booster every 10 years
- Primary series and adults are encouraged to have a Td booster with the pertussis component once in their adult lifetime. Some colleges mandate this
- Primary series, booster if travelling in endemic areas
Measles, mumps, rubella:
- documented proof of vaccination with 2 doses of measles, mumps and rubella OR by Proof of immunity by serological evidence (please attach)
Tuberculin skin test (TST):
- Initial two step TST skin test, 1 to 4 weeks apart is required prior to client contact
- If there is a history of a positive Tuberculin, a CXR is required
- A series of two or three doses followed by an antibody check
- If you have already received the series, lab evidence of immunity is required (please attach)
- If the Hepatitis B Surface Antibody is non-immune (0 mIU/ml), a Hepatitis B surface antigen test must be done. If the antigen test is positive, consult your Health Care Provider. Refer to your specific College Policy for guidelines regarding clinical practice.
- If the antigen test is negative, (and antibody non-immune); revaccination and reassessment for immunity must be done
- proof of two doses of varicella vaccination OR by Serological evidence of immunity (please attach)
- Recommended annually (mandatory for some programs – check your College policy)